Connecting Flights

cruiser1177

Hi All,

I need some advice or even re-assurance.

We arrive in Gatwick 08:15 in the North terminal in Gatwick, our connecting Thomas Cook flight is at 12:30 in the South terminal. However we need to claim and re-check our baggage once off the domestic flight.

I'm concerned that we wont have enough time to catch our connecting flight. Has anyone had experience of these timings before and if you felt you had enough time to get to the check in desk for the next flight?

Also what is the absolute minimum time you can check in for international flight?

Thanks

Hi All,

We arrive in Gatwick 08:15 in the North terminal in Gatwick, our connecting Thomas Cook flight is at 12:30 in the South terminal. However we need to claim and re-check our baggage once off the domestic flight.

I'm concerned that we wont have enough time to catch our connecting flight. Has anyone had experience of these timings before and if you felt you had enough time to get to the check in desk for the next flight?

Also what is the absolute minimum time you can check in for international flight?

Thanks

Sounds ample time to me, we once had a 40 min. connection in Newark where we also had to collect our luggage go through US immigration

and also change terminals. Mind you we were both breathless as we gratefully sank into our seats.:cool:

Say it takes one hour to get off and collect your luggage, and another hour to change terminals, which it won`t, you still have a couple of hours to check in.

I don`t know the official rules but, even if the flight is a little late you should make it.

Alternatively, why don`t you fly the night before and stay near the airport.

Hi caber, yes i've been considering going the night before now just to be on the safe side but i'm not sure if there will be an additional charge thru the TA, although i checked the airline site and the prices are the same for the night before at the moment, however it will mean we'll need to fork out for accomodation.

However, i got an email from princess flight desk to advise that they recommend the check in 3 hours prior to departure but check in for the international flight closes an hour before departure, so as long as we're there at least an hour before, we should be ok right?

I've also been told that transfer between the 2 terminals should only take a couple of minutes, so hopefully all should be ok.

Just thinking of worst case scenarios here to figure out if we'll be too rushed. The last thing i'd want is to miss our flight.

Thanks for all your replies

So long as your flight into LGW is on time (which is something that nobody can guarantee) then you will have more than enough time.

From a domestic flight you'll probably have your bags within 20-30 minutes of arrival as there will not be any screening of bags on the ramp by HMRC.

Once you have your bags, there are transfer buses every few minutes between the terminals. I'd be suprised if you weren't in the south terminal within an hour of arrival at LGW.

The reason bags can't be transfered directly is nothing to do with domestic onto international, it's because your onward flight is a charter and scheduled airlines do not interline with charter carriers.

When we go to Quebec in October we have 3 flights to co-ordinate.

We have booked our flights through Princess so if we don`t get there it`s not our fault.

We have only 1hour ten minutes in Montreal but the luggage should go right through - hopefully. :eek:

We were on Thomas Cook to Montego Bay in January and had a good flight.

Ah I see, i never knew that about the baggage question, that's interesting to know. Thanks JPRLHR.

Yep hopefully all should go well and according to plan however i might just see if there's is any additional flight cost to change to the night before.

I also assumed that because it's listed on the Princess Itinerary, therefore i'm assuming they've arranged the domestic flights, that they would make sure all passengers make their connecting flight, but apparently not so. :(

If you have booked both flights through Princess I would think that they will let you change to the day before with your internal flight.

We didn`t like the first flights they allocated us and asked to change and go in the day before. We are paying for an overnight in Quebec ourselves.

Ah right ok, i'll give them a call and ask them then if we decide to do that. Just the email i got from the flights desk at princess said that we would have to pay any difference in price on flights if there are any, which at present i can see that with BA they are still the same price. Ok i'll call them to check. Thanks caber

Hi all,

Just wanted to thank you for all your replies.

We've decided to go down the night before and changed our flights through TA.

All we had to fork out for was a hotel, which we've got a really good deal on.

Looking forward to having a relaxed journey, no early waking and rushing around yippeee......

Hi All,

Thanks

It sounds like you have enough time, as long as there are no delays. Any way you can check in online for the 2nd flight before you leave home? That way you can print your boarding pass beforehand and just check in your luggage before boarding the 2nd flight.

Archived