"country club casual" dinner code on river cruises

Having some discussion about this issue, have done a number of ocean cruises but this is first river cruise, on AMA Danube August. Would like to hear interpretation of "country club casual" from experienced European river cruises. Thanks, Socialworkers

Hi Socialworkers,

I have been on 1 river cruise and found most people wear what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home. For some that is a skirt and blouse, for others it is a dress, and for yet others it is slacks and a blouse. I, too, struggled with what to take and decided on comfortable yet presentable to a nice restaurant at home. I was dressed perfectly!

Don't stress about this too much. Have a great trip.

Barbara

We've done several riverboat cruises and I agree with the previous poster--wear what you would wear to a nice restaurant at home. I saw mostly dresses, skirts or nice pant outfits. I think DH wore a jacket once or twice, but it was not mandatory. HAVE FUN! :p

My in-laws are currently on their 4th european river cruise (this one is for 28 days) and my father-in-law loves river cruises because he doesn't want to dress up for dinner. I highly doubt he even brought a sports coat. I would dress differently than my in-laws (as my interpretation of country club casual involves me wearing a dress) but it works for them. At least khaki pants and a collared shirt on a man:p

We were on a Yangtze river cruise and China tour about 2 years ago. It was the most casual cruise, I have ever done. I think that had something to do with the luggage restrictions placed on us.

Have not travelled to Europe on a river cruise yet. Fellow passengers on the China trip indicated that the dress on those cruises was equally casual.

Hope you have a great trip.

Country club casual to me (and to a lot of fellow Europeans) means expensive casual, like brand-name stuff.

Imho, jeans is no problem, as long s it's designer jeans and combined with a "crisp white blous" and belt, etc.

The Scapa or Polo Ralph Lauren look, and also the golf club look.

Country club casual to me (and to a lot of fellow Europeans) means expensive casual, like brand-name stuff.

Imho, jeans is no problem, as long s it's designer jeans and combined with a "crisp white blous" and belt, etc.

The Scapa or Polo Ralph Lauren look, and also the golf club look.

In my area, the golf clubs that do have a dress code don't allow jeans.

Archived