Last minute question - swimming pools!

fridaythecat.u.k.

Hello everyone

DH and I leave tomorrow to go to Heathrow, staying overnight before our early morning flight on Saturday.

All the chores are done, the packing is nearly finished and we are just about ready to embark on our first cruise adventure :D

Just one final question: I read on the "Answer a Cruise Question" boards about how people hate using the swimming pools and hot tubs on board cruise ships. The general consensus seems to be that they are too small for so many people, and are full of germs, skin, bodily fluids - URGH!

But I was wondering if Princess is different? My understanding is that most other lines have salt water pools, whereas on Princess it is fresh water? Does this make a difference? Do you think that Princess pools and hot tubs are as described above? Do you use them?

OK, so that was about 4 questions rather than one final one, but at least they are all related. Would welcome your thoughts on this :)

They are all freshwater pools - however when people use them they get dirty or contaminated - just like any other swimming pool. I guess if noone usd them they would be squeeky clean but not much fun.

Ron

The water starts out cleaner than saltwater pools as the water is made by the ship's system which also provides drinking water to the ship. They pools are then tested on a regular basis, and if there is any type of problem the pool is emptied, disinfected, cleaned and refilled. I have observed the attendants checking the pools on multiple occasions for ph factors and cleanliness. The pools and spas are probably cleaner than the ones at home because of the water source and the constant checking, treatment and cleaning.

I have seen the attendents doing checks all day long on the water in the pool and hot tubs,, It is the only place that I do get into pools and hot tubs,,I would never do it at a hotel...but the cruise ships have a different standard...It would kill their business if somebody got sick because of a dirty pool...And they are very aware of it

Yes, WE don't pee in the pool, but if someone puts a diapered child in the pool, the ship is required to empty the pool, disinfect it, test it and refill it before it can be used. Which is why I object to those who think it is their right to dandle their unpotty trained kids in the pools . I have seen more than one mother/father/aunt/grandma/grandpa who becomes irate when someone objects to little darling going into the pool in diapers, and who think that it is their god given right to expose us to illness because they don't want to follow the posted and verbal warnings.

Gotcha, and I agree with you!

Karen

Yes, WE don't pee in the pool, but if someone puts a diapered child in the pool, the ship is required to empty the pool, disinfect it, test it and refill it before it can be used. Which is why I object to those who think it is their right to dandle their unpotty trained kids in the pools . I have seen more than one mother/father/aunt/grandma/grandpa who becomes irate when someone objects to little darling going into the pool in diapers, and who think that it is their god given right to expose us to illness because they don't want to follow the posted and verbal warnings.

The must use chlorine in the pools, because after a swim in them, I always have to rinse the chlorine out of my swimsuit.

Also, ever time I swim, I notice how crystal clear the water always seems. I wouldn't worry about swimming in the pools.

I would suspect that they do use chlorine in the pools, but even if it is not chlorine, there are some chemicals. I have always found the pools to be clean and not very crowded, which is something that can't always be said for the pool decks. We look forward to a dip in the hot tub most night while at sea. I love Princess pools and don't think twice about using them.

Hi everyone

Thanks to all of you who have posted with your comments.

I now feel much more comfortable about using the pools and hot tubs now :) and am sure this will make my first cruise even more enjoyable

I will post my thoughts and comments on the cruise in general and the Ruby in particular when I return :)

No--just because the "solids" are held in the swim diaper, the water still goes through the diaper and what it contains---acting like a "fecal teabag"---

It's not the urine that makes folks ill---it's the poop! No Swim Diapers!!!!!!

If you were to accidentally ingest the pool water, with fecal material in it, you would most likely come down with a nasty intestinal illness....not much fun!

There should be a 250$ fine,for letting kids in diapers into the pool,most people do abide by the rules though,and yes princess checks to make sure chemical levels are within range,so you are free to use the pool and hot tub,hope you have a great cruise;)

I'll never get in another cruise ship hot tub again after my wife got terribly ill after being in one several years ago. It ruined the whole trip for her. I consider it a lesson learned. Those things are like big petry dishes.

Just a quick question, are babies allowed to go in the pools with the swim diapers on such as the Little Swimmers?

Diapers or swim diapers, It makes no difference, Princess does not allow it. And if anyone does put a baby in the pools in either, you bet cha that there will be passengers kicking up a real fuss, as they know the pool will be out of commission for the rest of the day while the pool is drained and cleaned. There are always signs around the pools that say no diapers are allowed (and that means for children or adults and any type of diaper). ;)

Having 3 kids, I second, third and fourth the no diapers in the pool. At my health club, for swim lessons, my youngest was required to wear a swim diaper and a rubber/dry suit/wet suit material cover that was tight around the legs and waist for swimming lessons. They sold them there and required you wear them.

I have a question about the terrace pool, is that adult only? I have seen mention that it is and would be disappointed if that were true, it was not marked on any of the brochures nor throughout the web site. Does anybody know.

Having 3 kids, I second, third and fourth the no diapers in the pool. At my health club, for swim lessons, my youngest was required to wear a swim diaper and a rubber/dry suit/wet suit material cover that was tight around the legs and waist for swimming lessons. They sold them there and required you wear them.

I have a question about the terrace pool, is that adult only? I have seen mention that it is and would be disappointed if that were true, it was not marked on any of the brochures nor throughout the web site. Does anybody know.

Yes, the Terrace Pool is Adult Only.

Archived