Lauderdale by the Sea

running girl

It looks like it is about 30min. from the port .

Has anyone returned a rental car to Port Everglades before a cruise? If so was it far and what company? I was thinking of going threw price line but I was concerned where I should but for return? My pick up will be Ft.Lauderdale Airport.

I live 1/2 mile west of Lauderdale by the Sea, and I lived in the town prior to that. The beach is nice there. There is a fishing pier in the middle of town (you have to pay for access). There are a bunch of beach shops and Kilwins chocolate & ice cream. My favorite restaurants that you can walk to are Aruba and Village Grill. There are a few others there also, but don't bother with 101 Ocean, as the food isn't good; nice bar though. There is also a decent Greek restaurant; on weekends they may have bellydancing or may play fun music to try to get everybody to get up and dance. It looks like a diner, but the food is decent. If you want upscale dining, you can walk to Blue Moon Fish Company on the intracoastal. If you like Japanese Hibachi, there is a Benihana across the street from that, also on the water. Bars: Aruba, Village Pump, and 101 Ocean. Every place I have mentioned is casual. You may find live music in the street on Friday night and Saturday night, near the pier. Less than a mile north on A1A is a shopping center that has a good diner and Carina's, a wood-fired pizza restaurant. Across from there is a small hotel that has a tiki bar/grill on the beach; the crowd is a little rough around the edges but harmless. Most of the places to stay are family-owned small motels. They don't look like much from the outside, and I can't vouch for the rooms. I have a friend who loves to stay at A Little Inn by the Sea. If it rains and you have a car, Galleria Mall is about 4.5 miles away on Sunrise Blvd west of the intracoastal. Any other questions, post here.

Thank you so much for all the wonderful info. You gave me what I was looking for. I wrote everthing down! Have you heard good or bad about Buena Vista? They said it is across from the beach? It is so hard to know what you are getting. It is only for one night so we will make the best of anything. The only part I am concerned with is there will be 8 of us! :eek:

Thank you so much for all the wonderful info. You gave me what I was looking for. I wrote everthing down! Have you heard good or bad about Buena Vista? They said it is across from the beach? It is so hard to know what you are getting. It is only for one night so we will make the best of anything. The only part I am concerned with is there will be 8 of us! :eek:

I haven't heard anything about that hotel. If it is across the street from the beach, call the hotel and ask where exactly you can access the beach and check it on mapquest. In that area there are motels on the beach, so from some locations you may need to walk a block or two to be able to access the beach without trespassing. As an alternative, did you check Ocean Manor Resort? It is about a mile south of there and is right on the beach and is a bigger resort. They offer very good rates and you might be able to get a few nice suites for the 8 people. It's not in the middle of everything but it's convenient to grocery/drug/donuts/mcdonalds. I met a couple a few nights ago who were staying there and said it's not luxurious but they really liked it.

Archived