Guarantee on the Epic

bled01

I booked a balcony guarantee(BG) on the Epic and am starting to second guess myself. Most of the NCL threads on Guarantee rooms are pretty old so I was wondering if anyone had some recent experiences with them.

I book garenteed rooms all the time! Dont worry, you get what you want and sometimes you even get bumped up to a larger room if all your "gauranteed" rooms get sold out! You will be fine!

• Administrators
I book garenteed rooms all the time! Dont worry, you get what you want and sometimes you even get bumped up to a larger room if all your "gauranteed" rooms get sold out! You will be fine!

Hm. You may or may not get what you "want," but you will, at a minimum, receive a cabin the category you booked.

The thing about guarantee cabins is this -- you must be prepared to receive the absolute worst (in your eyes) cabin in your category, OR in any category higher than yours. If you do your research on the ship and you know you'd be happy in any of the cabins in your class, or any cabin in a higher class, then a guarantee may work for you. However, even "upgrades" aren't always upgrades. You might wind up beside the ice machine, across from the service pantry, under the nightclub, in an obstructed view cabin, right beside the anchor, next door to the arcade, etc.

It is wise to study the deck plans before booking a guarantee cabin -- most of the unhappy guarantee stories we read here are from people who didn't, or who didn't realize that guarantee bookers can (this isn't always true -- but they CAN) receive the least popular cabins on the ship.

Part of the problem is that there is not much feedback about locations on the ship since nobody has been on it yet. I did not want to pay more for a BA for example as I was not sure it would be that much better than a BG. What I am worried about is that we get some bad location and I get to hear it from the DW:rolleyes:.

If we got upgraded to a Deluxe balcony I would be quite happy...

Hm. You may or may not get what you "want," but you will, at a minimum, receive a cabin the category you booked.

The thing about guarantee cabins is this -- you must be prepared to receive the absolute worst (in your eyes) cabin in your category, OR in any category higher than yours. If you do your research on the ship and you know you'd be happy in any of the cabins in your class, or any cabin in a higher class, then a guarantee may work for you. However, even "upgrades" aren't always upgrades. You might wind up beside the ice machine, across from the service pantry, under the nightclub, in an obstructed view cabin, right beside the anchor, next door to the arcade, etc.

It is wise to study the deck plans before booking a guarantee cabin -- most of the unhappy guarantee stories we read here are from people who didn't, or who didn't realize that guarantee bookers can (this isn't always true -- but they CAN) receive the least popular cabins on the ship.

i have never had a good experience with a gty. everytime i get put in the same or just one or two categories higher but in the front of the ship. to me , cabin location is so important. what good is it to be five decks higher but in a bad location. do yourself a favor and take a cabin assignment.

I'm getting ready to book a BA on the Epic ( first time in a balcony - normally use inside cabins). Its an aft balcony on deck nine, and my only concern is can my balcony be "well" observed by others above me? Also would you get bored looking out of the back of the ship all the time?

• 1 month later...

but no retirement checks for 2.5 years, thanks Ohio. So we are on Jewel with a special deal per my CPP Audra who booked us on Epic 12.11.10 in a Spa balcony which was the same price for her as a BC balcony. So we took it as we have a year to pay for it. Then she phones the next day for a Jewel deal, which she knows is my favorite ship. $500 for a balcony guarantee BD. Yesterday we are upgraded to a BA (that is $400 more per couple)& paid today. She tells me that we could still move up since BA's sell fast. She knows a suite not a deluxe balcony aka mini suite. My fingers are crossed so hard it is hard to type.

• 6 months later...
I'd look at it this way:

Your on a cruise, is there really any bad cabins....?

It's like a bad day on a cruise, BEATS the heck out of a good day at work.:D

I agree! I look forward to hearing your first hand experience on Epic. We are booked in to cruise December 2010. Also booked a balcony BG.

While nobody will have Epic gaurantee experience, recent NCL experience is what I believe the OP was asking about.:)

Personally, I would not get my hopes up for an upgrade at this point. I would guess this years sailings will go out pretty full, although you never know which category will sell out first so there could be some upgrades to make more of a room class available.

Room location is really important to us just yet. Someday, I hope we can just hop on to last minute cruises and take whatever, inside or out, but until then, vacation time is scarce so I want the room I want when we cruise. Can’t wait to see the aft balconies up close and in person this year.

Mark

• 4 months later...
I booked a balcony guarantee(BG) on the Epic and am starting to second guess myself. Most of the NCL threads on Guarantee rooms are pretty old so I was wondering if anyone had some recent experiences with them.

Since OP has sailed - can you report your experience on the gty?

Archived