AirTran!!! AAAHHHHH

jerseygirl79

When I booked our flight to Miam in June, the departure time from BWI was 8:45 with an arrival at MIA at 11:19. That time has changed twice already. I checked today and the flight is leaving BWI at 9:30 with an arrival at MIA of 12:06!!!!

Are we going to make it? I've never flown to MIA before. I'm so P.O.'d

i've heard a lot of complaints about airtran recently - from changed times to cancelled flights... i have never had either of those problems with continental ;)

no worries, mon - a 12.30 arrival, you have PLENTY of time to 'make it'!!! :D

the port is just about 10-15 minutes from the airport depending on traffic.

if you want even MORE security (which you might with airtran's capricious ways), book a carnival transfer. they're supposed to wait for you within reason :)

Booking in advance has a real disadvantage when it comes to time changes. My sister is flying to visit me and her flight has changed twice on USA3000. From landing at 8 p.m., she now lands at 9:30 p.m. That is a big difference to us and there is no alternative. When you book at a time that is convenient, that is when you expect to fly. Sigh...hope it works for you. Enjoy your cruise.

i've heard a lot of complaints about airtran recently - from changed times to cancelled flights... i have never had either of those problems with continental ;)

no worries, mon - a 12.30 arrival, you have PLENTY of time to 'make it'!!! :D

the port is just about 10-15 minutes from the airport depending on traffic.

if you want even MORE security (which you might with airtran's capricious ways), book a carnival transfer. they're supposed to wait for you within reason :)

Never Again. I just sent them a complaint email. I also already booked a shuttle with another company as Carnival's service was twice as much. I'll have to consider changing to Carnival's transfer service.

You may be able to change or cancel your flight without penalty. Look into that and you may be able to find a flight that gets you in earlier, and another airline may even be cheaper. We ran into this same problem on American Airlines and even though it was only a 30 minute change, we were able to change all of our departing flights. We decided to book them a whole day earlier to give us a whole extra day in Barbados before our cruise. Worked out great for me!

Never Again. I just sent them a complaint email. I also already booked a shuttle with another company as Carnival's service was twice as much. I'll have to consider changing to Carnival's transfer service.

A Taxi will run you $25 + Tip so the Carnival transfer is not a bad option. We always take a taxi because there is usually 4 of us and it is easy to just walk out to the curb and jump in and not have to wait for all the other people on the shuttle.

Either way you should be fine. Have a Great Cruise!!!

Cost of Transfers:

Miami Airport to Port of Miami: One Way: $16.00/person Round Trip: $32.00/person

Transfer rates are subject to change and any unused services are non refundable.

What are the Flight Guidelines for the Latest Airport Arrivals and Earliest Return Flights:

Latest Flight Arrival:

Arrivals into the Miami International Airport: 2:30pm

Earliest Flight Departures:

Earliest departures out of the Miami International Airport: 11:30am

really, that is why i stick with continental. i've never seen times change and the flights are always full or nearly so - never the prospect of a cancelled flight (except in cases of mechanical stuff, etc.)... plus, i just like them better vs other airlines i've been on :)

i might consider the carnival transfer if you're concerned... if only for a little peace of mind... it really comes down to how comfortable you are with air tran...

due to bad advice from a TA, the rest of my family from NJ were coming into miami at something like 1.30 - and me, having overslept my 7AM flight, got there at about the same time... :o

the carnival transfer didn't leave MIA until something like 3... which was past the 'official boarding time' thingy... it was ok though, i figured it was on them at that point... FYI, we didn't leave until after 3... because... they were waiting on people with late / delayed flights :D

You may be able to change or cancel your flight without penalty. Look into that and you may be able to find a flight that gets you in earlier, and another airline may even be cheaper.

this could be a good point in op's situation...

i've read / heard that if the airline changes your time, and it can materially affect your plans, they have to let you change or cancel if they made the changes for their own reasons (excepting weather, etc.)

look into it if you're really concerned. to what degree they allow this (in terms of the time changes - say a 5 minute change vs. an hour or two) will vary per airline...

Be lucky your times have only changed twice...

We booked in February for our cruise next month on the Glory. Got tickets thru Orbitz for AirTran. I get an email 2 - 3 times a week with changes to my return flight. Its always by either 3,4, or 5 minutes. Either up or down...

Not a big headache though. IF it was the arrival flight, then i'd be quite disturbed!

We booked in February for our cruise next month on the Glory. Got tickets thru Orbitz for AirTran. I get an email 2 - 3 times a week with changes to my return flight. Its always by either 3,4, or 5 minutes. Either up or down...

so really - this is a common thing with this airline? i don't understand why they would do such a thing... i'd be TOTALLY PO'ed with an airline that couldn't make up their darn mind! and affect my own travel plans in the meanwhile...

*mental note: never even CONSIDER airtrain :)

Hi

I have booked flights with air tran also mine are for january from Orlando to San Juan to pick up a cruise from there we are flying in the day before , as I have always had concerns about flight delays on any airline I live in the Uk and always fly in USA a least 2 days before I cruise.

I hope yours works out ok for you.

Elaine

Be lucky your times have only changed twice...

Not a big headache though. IF it was the arrival flight, then i'd be quite disturbed!

I haven't received 1 email! I need to call them about that.

this could be a good point in op's situation...

i've read / heard that if the airline changes your time, and it can materially affect your plans, they have to let you change or cancel if they made the changes for their own reasons (excepting weather, etc.)

look into it if you're really concerned. to what degree they allow this (in terms of the time changes - say a 5 minute change vs. an hour or two) will vary per airline...

I just check travelocity and this is one of the earliest flights into Miami on 11/2. There are some that arrive 30 minutes earlier, but they are connecting flights. *sigh* I did check the flight and there are 45 seats left. But I don't know if that is really accurate because you don't have to pick seats when you buy online. Hopefully it won't change again.

On the positive side, I've read they normally leave and arrive on time.

A Taxi will run you $25 + Tip so the Carnival transfer is not a bad option. We always take a taxi because there is usually 4 of us and it is easy to just walk out to the curb and jump in and not have to wait for all the other people on the shuttle.

Either way you should be fine. Have a Great Cruise!!!

Cost of Transfers:

Miami Airport to Port of Miami: One Way: $16.00/person Round Trip: $32.00/person

Transfer rates are subject to change and any unused services are non refundable.

What are the Flight Guidelines for the Latest Airport Arrivals and Earliest Return Flights:

Latest Flight Arrival:

Arrivals into the Miami International Airport: 2:30pm

Earliest Flight Departures:

Earliest departures out of the Miami International Airport: 11:30am

Thanks. This makes me feel a little better. There are 8 of us and the shuttle is costing $65 total each way.

The main problem we have had with Air Tran is that if you have to transfer to a different flight in Atlanta (which most Air Tran flights do), OMG, they never leave on time. If you have a straight through flight, then you have a chance. Good Luck!

We learned our lesson earlier this year when we (13 of us) booked airtran for our cruise travel. Total nightmare! They changed our flight several times and they never emailed me either. The only way I knew was because I happened to be checking the website and discovered our flight wasn't even listed any longer. They even had my 6 yr. old son bumped to a flight by himself. It was awful. Never again with Air Tran!

There is something to be said for going the day early and having a stress free day the next morning. I like to go to Fort Lauderdale the day before, have a nice leisurely dinner and drinks along Las Olas River front. Stop at the store on the way back to the hotel to pick up the water and soda and the free shuttle to the port the next morning. I'm sitting in the hot tub while everyone is sitting on a tarmac somewhere all stressed out if they are going to make it on time.

When I booked our flight to Miam in June, the departure time from BWI was 8:45 with an arrival at MIA at 11:19. That time has changed twice already. I checked today and the flight is leaving BWI at 9:30 with an arrival at MIA of 12:06!!!!

Are we going to make it? I've never flown to MIA before. I'm so P.O.'d

While very frustrating to advance planners, I can assure you that Air Tran is not the only airline doing this. While I have not flown Air Tran my former favorite airline, Delta, does this too much (which is why it is my former favorite airline).

That said, if you land in Miami at noon, there is no reason that you cannot make it to your ship by 2:00pm.

However, if you do not feel comfortable with the time change, call Air Tran and tell them to either put you on an earlier flight, or refund your money. Of course, before you do this, make sure there is a better alternative available.

Of course if your flight is late for some reason, you could have a problem. This is one of many reasons why it is best to fly in the day before.

Falcor. Yes, most airlines are routinely adjusting schedules partly because of seat sales, sometimes on airtraffic control slot allocations. AirTran is one of the few profitable domestic airlines. It's because most of what they do is good business. Ranked #1 in the annual service quality rankings. Five consecutive years in the top three of all domestics. For comparison, Delta consistantly ranks #12.

That would worry me, what if the plane is late. Carnival makes you check in 90 minutes before the ship leaves, or you cant board, so if its a 5 pm departure, you have until 3:30 to check in.

Id be going Ahhhhhh too.

Actually, that is true of all the cruise lines, because of Homeland Security reporting requirements.

They changed our flight several times and they never emailed me either. The only way I knew was because I happened to be checking the website and discovered our flight wasn't even listed any longer.
Delta didn't send me e-mails either. I learned that it was best to check twice per week after booking for changes. And when Delta canceled one flight, they put me on another very weird combination of flights. They had me going from San Juan to Atlanta to Orlando to Los Angeles. I had to explain that one, I was getting off a cruise ship and could not make an 8:00am flight and two, the only reason I was flying to Orlando is because that is where that flight took me. So I ended up on a later flight into Atlanta and then to Los Angeles. And that was for the trip home. For the trip there I was on American and American never changed the flight schedule.

All the other airlines that I have been on that have changed the flight schedules have e-mailed me. That includes American, United, Continental and JetBlue. And most of those changes were minor (one to three minutes) or involved a change in the flight number. And my problems with Delta are not limited to one flight, this has happened several times. Also, Delta would not allow me to fligh from Miami to Atlanta to Los Angeles at the time I wanted, even though they had the planes scheduled for that time with open seats. Even my travel agent couldn't figure that one out (and he called Delta).

Delta used to have a very good reputation for service. I don't know what happened, but Delta no longer has a good reputation for service.

really, that is why i stick with continental. i've never seen times change and the flights are always full or nearly so - never the prospect of a cancelled flight (except in cases of mechanical stuff, etc.)...

It is a falacy that airlines cancel flights if there aren't enough passengers. There are many factors involved in aircraft and crew scheduling that would make that practice counterproductive.

That is, unless you have some substantive evidence, other than apocryphal urban legends.

so really - this is a common thing with this airline? i don't understand why they would do such a thing...

Then you don't understand airline management. Schedules change to meet the market demands of the city-pairs being served. All majors change schedules over the course of the 11 months (roughly) that they are in the GDS.

I did check the flight and there are 45 seats left. But I don't know if that is really accurate because you don't have to pick seats when you buy online.

Seat maps are a completely inaccurate tool for determining the availability of seats for sale on a flight. Using one is no better or worse than a Ouija board, with similar accuracy.

I know this can happen to anyone on any airline. Our travel agent just told me her associate called this past Wednesday morning and informed her that AirTran canceled their flight out of CAK which was to transport group of 65 to a Hawiian cruise. Big time headache! Personally, we've flown, and like AirTran, but don't care for stopping in ATL for virtually any flight south.

Archived