Wineries in Santorini

Warm Weather Fan

Well, in my view, the Santorini wineries definitely are worth a miss. However, if you choose to go, I believe you do need a car because the ones open to the public are scattered around the area south of Fira, not within walking distance at all.

You easily can rent a car for the day; we paid 40 Euros in June and last September for an automatic. The small island is easy to drive with very little traffic once you leave the few congested streets of Fira itself. Parking is free and easy everywhere. Oia is great, with interesting art galleries and wonderful views.

In my view, a do not miss is the Museum of Prehistoric Thira in Fira itself near the bus station. This modern museum tells the story of what is known of the Aegean peoples who inhabited Akrotiri (the site itself has been closed for some time) in well-captioned Greek and English, includes some lovely Akrotiri wall paintings, as well as a gorgeous solid gold goat, and has great a/c and restrooms to boot! Closed on Mondays.

Enjoy your visit!

Wanting some info about wineries in Santorini.

Where are they generally located and can you get to them without a car?

Other than Fira and Oia, any other don't miss places in Santorini.

Thanks for the info.

I suggest the Santo Winery, about 10 minutes from Fira. We had a wonderful tasting of 6 wines plus cheese plate for 12 euros. The tasting area has many outdoor seats , some with umbrellas overlooking the caldera.

It was one of the many highlights of our time in Santorini.

http://www.santowines.gr/default.asp?V_DOC_ID=1273

We found 3 wines very enjoyable. Santorini is known for Vinsanto, a sweet wine we really enjoyed:

http://www.santowines.gr/default.asp?V_DOC_ID=1304

We chose this winery based on the recommendation of a local Santorini resident. We were not disappointed.

We had a rental car. I did notice several taxis coming and going - this winery is a short taxi ride from Fira.

They offer a tour of the winery in addition to the tastings.

Joe

I suggest the Santo Winery, about 10 minutes from Fira. We had a wonderful tasting of 6 wines plus cheese plate for 12 euros. The tasting area has many outdoor seats , some with umbrellas overlooking the caldera.

It

We chose this winery based on the recommendation of a local Santorini resident. We were not disappointed.

We had a rental car. I did notice several taxis coming and going - this winery is a short taxi ride from Fira.

They offer a tour of the winery in addition to the tastings.

Joe

The view from this winery was incredible. The day we were there, the fog rolled in and out, and it was a spectacular scene. I could have sat there all day!

We were in Santorini last June - absolutely stunning place. We rented a car and found it very easy to drive around wherever we wanted. Didn't know of any wineries, though. Guess that's a good reason to go back! Thanks!

As an option to spending time getting to wineries, many of the shops have lots of wines of the area and will let you do tastings right there. If wineries are your higher priority, then I would recommend renting a car to make it easier to get around. Its really easy to drive around the island.

Archived