NY Question

Muumuu

Will be cruising out of NYC in June 2010 with grandsons. Found the Mariott Brolklyn Bridge to book. Question is, safety. Would like to know if traveling back and forth between the city and hotel is fairly safe day and night.

The Brooklyn Marriott is right in downtown Brooklyn near the courthouse. Not a lot going on around there that would be considered touristy. Personally, I'd look at a hotel in Manhattan if you're planning a couple of days precruise to sightsee.

As far as the neighborhood....it's mostly a business district and like I said, right across the street from the courthouse. It's as safe as the city gets.

When you say "traveling back & forth" are you planning are taking the subway from Manhattan to Brooklyn at night? While I'd think daytime is fine, I don't think I'd like to do that with kids late at night. Others may rightfully disagree. I'm not familiar with Brooklyn so I would tend to be cautious. Cabs can get pretty expensive. I think I'd try for something in Manhattan if you can get something in your price range.

Will be cruising out of NYC in June 2010 with grandsons. Found the Mariott Brolklyn Bridge to book. Question is, safety. Would like to know if traveling back and forth between the city and hotel is fairly safe day and night.

Carnival departs from Manhattan, which is where I would book a hotel. The whole "back and forth" issue is then moot. ;)

I stayed at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott in March when we went for our marriage license. We stayed 3 nights and enjoyed the hotel. It was cheaper to stay in Brooklyn than Manhattan, but we traveled the subway a LOT. The subway is nearby and was easy to navigate. Also, the locals are friendly and were always willing to give directions. I felt safe, but it was just me and my husband.

I wouldn't want to travel with small kids at night alone. Maybe with my husband. If we go back with my little brother and step daughter (6 & 5), we'd stay in the city, as it's too much walking and traveling for little legs and feet.

I don't think I'd book this hotel if I needed to get to the ship with luggage. I'd look into staying somewhere closer to the pier.

So much nonsense in one group of postings.

You are two subway stops from Manhattan on the ACF Lines and even less on the 2356 etc N and R's too....(some are more like 3) You can get into central Manhattan(like macys in 15 minutes). This is in the 84 precinct look up the crime rates your self at http://www.nyc.gov under police department statistics.

After 11 at night I do recommend a cab not because its unsafe but at that hour the subways may take a half hour or more to come and by cab from midtown you can be home- at the hotel- in 20 minutes($15-25) depending on where you are coming from. Cabs no longer complain (as much) to take you to this hotel.

You are a short walk from Brooklyn Heights, and from Smith Street Brooklyn restaurant row.

History(revolutionary war history abounds) the Battle of Brooklyn heights was fought near here and the remains of the martyrs of the revolution are in the base of the Obelisk at Fort Greene Park.

http://www.brooklyn-usa.org the official website of the Borough president of Brooklyn...

http://www.visitbrooklyn.org/attractions.php?pagename=Attractions&subpagename=Historic+Brooklyn

What about the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens? I was wondering the other day why noboy mentions to go there. They are world class and worth the trip. Perfectly safe there. ETA to add the Brooklyn Children's museum is directly next door and it is another wonderful place for the kids.

Will be cruising out of NYC in June 2010 with grandsons. Found the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge to book. Question is, safety. Would like to know if traveling back and forth between the city and hotel is fairly safe day and night.

Yes.

The hotel is one block from Fulton Street, the heart of Brooklyn's commercial center. It is across the street from Supreme Court and Borough Hall. On the other side of Supreme Court is Montague Street, a lively street at most times and filled with restaurants and other stores. While this is not the same as Manhattan, if the price is right I see nothing wrong with your plan.

As for transportation, I would suggest getting either 1-day ($8.25) or 7-day ($27.00) unlimited MetroCards for the duration of your stay since you're likely to be using the subway regularly to and from Manhattan. At worst the trains are scheduled every 20 minutes apart (this is between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m.), but most of the time they come frequently and travel quickly. Trains are safe and well used until past midnight. If you feel uncomfortable at any then travel in either the front car (with the motorman) or the center car (with the conductor). You can identify where the conductor's car will stop on the platform by looking for a zebra-striped board (the conductor's cab is supposed to stop opposite this board when the train is safely platformed).

Archived