Red Velvet Cupcakes

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, these are new....haven't seen them offered before....:confused:

Would be nice if they showed a pic of them. I would like to know if anyone does order them also.

I'll be all over those for DH's birthday in Jan.....:p Better than getting the cake for just the 2 of us....I can handle cupcakes!

:confused:

Does anyone know what Red Velvet takes like? Is it vanilla cake that's got red food coloring or is it a totally different taste?

actually it's more chocolately (cocoa powder) with red food coloring. often has a cream cheese frosting.

I was looking for something to order ahead from the gift department to have delivered to our cabin and noticed Red Velvet Cupcakes as one of the selections. Has anyone ever ordered these? If so, how are they and how many are in an order?

Thanks all!

OMG.. they sound absolutely decadent!

"Red Velvet" actually has a Pennsylvania Dutch origin. It is traditionally made with cream cheese & sour cream in a vanilla cake mix. Originally Sasparilla or birch beer was used to color and flavor the mix as well. The icing is a cream cheesish very rich white topping. They are absolutely awesome and can still be had at a few local amish stores around central PA. Somehow though I don't think RCCL's chefs will make them the old amish way ;). Either way if you have never tried one you owe it to yourself to try them just once.

Is your annniversary noted in "remarks" on your reservation? Alert the dining room staff and they'll deliver a small cake to your table.

Now they bring a slice of cake to your table for birthdays and anniversaries... They've been charging for those small cakes for a few years... I *think* it's $7.95...

"Red Velvet" actually has a Pennsylvania Dutch origin. It is traditionally made with cream cheese & sour cream in a vanilla cake mix. Originally Sasparilla or birch beer was used to color and flavor the mix as well. The icing is a cream cheesish very rich white topping. They are absolutely awesome and can still be had at a few local amish stores around central PA. Somehow though I don't think RCCL's chefs will make them the old amish way ;). Either way if you have never tried one you owe it to yourself to try them just once.

Haven't had them on the ships, but Red Velvet cake is really good....I agree, the Amish version is delicious....however there is a Southern version too...

I made some for someone's b-day once...and the recipe i used was VERY good. ..(not sure where it is, but i will have to find it...want them again!) Only trouble was that recipe was SOOOOO delicate, you need like double papers or the foil kind! But I digress.....

I HAVE made the mix version of Red Velvet cake too (pillsbury or dunkin hines or something..) and that isn't bad....NOT as good as the local Amish market version, but still yummy.:p

(the best was at the Akron Family Restaurant in Akron, PA-up from Lancaster, not too far from the turnpike...BUT i THINK that place closed...sob sob:(:mad:)

why did you have to mention this...NOW i want it !

Actually, if anyone watches "Cake Boss" on TLC...Carlo's Bakery is in Hoboken (not TOO far from EWR/Jersey City..) I took a field trip there a few weeks ago...HE had red velvet cupcakes...got some (and a bunch of other stuff!) Even after 3 days they were STILL moist! So if you're cruising from cape liberty and staying around the area..take the PATH to hoboken and walk over...it's only 3-4 blocks (don't ask me how to get there, i found it by accident!)

Oh I'm definitely on it! Red Velvet Cupcakes here I come! lol

I love the explanation of your screen name. I too am an occasional cigar smoker and can understand just where you are coming from! My DH just thinks I look silly....a woman smoking a cigar. Wake up! It's 2009!

Haven't had them on the ships, but Red Velvet cake is really good....I agree, the Amish version is delicious....however there is a Southern version too...

I made some for someone's b-day once...and the recipe i used was VERY good. ..(not sure where it is, but i will have to find it...want them again!) Only trouble was that recipe was SOOOOO delicate, you need like double papers or the foil kind! But I digress.....

I HAVE made the mix version of Red Velvet cake too (pillsbury or dunkin hines or something..) and that isn't bad....NOT as good as the local Amish market version, but still yummy.:p

(the best was at the Akron Family Restaurant in Akron, PA-up from Lancaster, not too far from the turnpike...BUT i THINK that place closed...sob sob:(:mad:)

why did you have to mention this...NOW i want it !

Actually, if anyone watches "Cake Boss" on TLC...Carlo's Bakery is in Hoboken (not TOO far from EWR/Jersey City..) I took a field trip there a few weeks ago...HE had red velvet cupcakes...got some (and a bunch of other stuff!) Even after 3 days they were STILL moist! So if you're cruising from cape liberty and staying around the area..take the PATH to hoboken and walk over...it's only 3-4 blocks (don't ask me how to get there, i found it by accident!)

I love Cake Boss!!! I am definitely going to stop in next time I'm in NYC. I go there pretty often to visit my niece. Can't wait!

I too am an occasional cigar smoker and can understand just where you are coming from! My DH just thinks I look silly....a woman smoking a cigar. Wake up! It's 2009!

I could not agree more! It's 2009 and some people are still stuck in the 1950s. Cigars are not for the ultra-elitest men in the first class section to smoke while drinking cognac in the men's only club.

Sorry for the threadjack!:D Seriously though you NEED to try a RV cupcake. I guess living in central PA I take for granted all the amish cooking: shoo-fly pie,red velvet cakes,whoopie pies,etc...

Oh I'm definitely on it! Red Velvet Cupcakes here I come! lol

I love the explanation of your screen name. I too am an occasional cigar smoker and can understand just where you are coming from! My DH just thinks I look silly....a woman smoking a cigar. Wake up! It's 2009!

I like a cigar once in a great while, too! I quit smoking ciggarettes four years ago and still enjoy a cigar about once or twice a year! I plan on having one on my next cruise, too. I hope the Freedom of the Seas has a cigar bar or somewhere to go where I won't bother anyone!!

Hoboken resident here....Carlo's is on Washington St. between Newark and 1st. Their red velvet cupcakes are excellent (as are their other cupcakes). Unfortunately, Cake Boss has created some big lines on the weekends.

Archived