Passport vs Passport card

2preschoolers

We're going on a Western Caribbean itinerary with 2 little ones. None of us have passports (DH and mine are expired) and we do not travel often. However it seems having the passport card still may not be the "safest" way to go since (God Forbid!) if an emergency happens, we have no way to fly home. Just wondering what others do - should we get the full passports or just a passport card - and why? THANKS!

You've already identified the why to getting a passport, over a passport card. The cards won't work for flying anywhere. The passport is "good" for 10 years for adults, and allows you to travel anywhere, and is a sure form of identification anywhere.

I answered on your Family thread, but I will repeat: Passport card will not get you anything more than your birth certificate and gov't ID will, so why spend the money. So at this point, it is money wasted. EM

We're going on a Western Caribbean itinerary with 2 little ones. None of us have passports (DH and mine are expired) and we do not travel often. However it seems having the passport card still may not be the "safest" way to go since (God Forbid!) if an emergency happens, we have no way to fly home. Just wondering what others do - should we get the full passports or just a passport card - and why? THANKS!

If you are getting them to fly, you have to get the full passport, the cards do not work for flying.

I hate to use the term "only" when it comes to money, but a passport book is only a little more than twice the cost of a passport card. If it's the cost, a passport book is giving up eating a pizza pie once a year for ten years for one person. If it's the utility, a passport book can be used for ID when verifying employment; renewing driver's licenses (especially here in NJ with our 'six points' system); verifying credit card users and their signature (as my wife had to do recently here in the States); and as a general ID (such as what I need when I have to enter some schools as part of my job.)

Passport cards were designed for land travel to Canada and Mexico so that frequent visitors would not need to carry a Passport book. Unfortunately they also have been designated for ships in NA in certain cases. If you are going to go to the trouble and expense of getting a Passport, get the regular one as there are no restrictions. They can be used anywhere on this earth for ID and travel. I would never leave the USA without my passport and carry it with me anytime I am on foreign soil. I guard it as well as I guard my money, cc and other valuables. I have also used it for domestic air travel instead of my DL as it is more readily accepted by TSA. I have also used it when the government wanted to see my BC or other proof of birth and citizenship. I am now on my third passport.

I would love to watch these pax who only take a photocopy of the passport when in port explain to the airline representative that the photocopy was as good as the passport. I am not sure what a photocopy will do for you except speed up getting a replacement at a US Embassy/Consulate.

I am not sure what a photocopy will do for you except speed up getting a replacement at a US Embassy/Consulate.
I don't think it even helps with that; at least not according to the couple of stories on this board about it. Copies, as far as I am concerned, are a false sense of security. They are good if you have to show an ID for using a credit card, or so I have been told.

Archived