Luggage Wheels

KellyJ

Hello everyone,

Got back from my first Cruise about 3 weeks ago and the depression has set in. However, I am having a luggage problem. My luggage survived the trip down to Ft. Lauderdale, through the porters on the ship, and back to the Ft. Lauderdale airport intact, but when we got back home, one of the wheels on my brand new suitcase was cracked and broken. It won't roll now. Of course, the airline asked if we had a picture of the suitcases condition before we put it on the plane...I don't know about you, but I don't normally take pictures of my luggage.

It wasn't an expensive piece, but I don't wan't to have to replace a brand new piece of luggage. Does anyone know where I can get replacement wheels for my suitcase?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kelly J

This may or may not be covered, it may be considered normal wear and tear. Unfortunatley, wheels are usually the first thing to break on a piece of wheeled luggage, I don't think you will get much satisfaction from the airline. You can also check your local yellow pages to see if you have a shoe and luggage repair in the area.

BTW, yes, we actually do take pictures of our valuables and it always cracks us up to see the mountain of luggage before leaving. So, several times we have a "Bon Voyage" shot. In the past, we have always used up rolls of film at the end of a vacation to photograph things around the house. Now that we have digital, it would be easy to photo-document all we have for insurance purposes. Thanks for the reminder.

Kelly: check to see if the luggage manufacturer has a web site. Possibly, they might tell you how to get luggage repaired, especially if there is a warranty.

If that doesn't work, then try the yellow pages under "luggage repairs".

Hope this helps you!

Hi Kellyj,

We cruised in Sept. and one piece of our luggage came off the plane with one wheel missing. I went right away to the US Air baggage office and they said that most airlines don't cover wheels and there was nothing they could do. I looked at my cruise insurance policy that I had purchased and luggage was covered. They did re-emburse me for my luggage. A thought you could check. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions. Sincerely, Knarf ( Frank backwards)

A: Airlines generally don't cover wheels or handles.

B: Roller blade wheels is a term they use. Most wheels and the manner they are attached are particular to a particular model of luggage.

C: You said the luggage wasn't very expensive. Expensive is relative. If this is cheap luggage it is probably not worth fixing. Manufacturers normally consider smashed wheels to be airline damage. The better the luggage,the tougher the wheels and handles. Travel Pro,for example,has wheels that are user replacable with a few screws. Most luggage has wheels that have to be serviced by a shop or just cannot be fixed.

Archived