Nut Allergy

McNic

Hello all,

We are cruising in 11 days (woo hoo!!!) and I just had a quick question. My husband has a severe nut allergy and I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for him or things to stay away from?

I did note on my reservation about the allergy and I'm guessing Royal would be pretty accomodating?

Any advice would be awesome!

Hello all,

We are cruising in 11 days (woo hoo!!!) and I just had a quick question. My husband has a severe nut allergy and I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for him or things to stay away from?

I would advise him to stay away from nuts.;)

Ok, sorry. You might want to tell your waiter/ head waiter in the dining room on the first evening as well.

They WILL be as accommodating as possible to people with allergies but like anyway, you have to watch out for yourself.

I always ask. Surprisingly, it has never been a problem. Not many dishes have nuts in them (they are probably too expensive!), but I am always careful about desserts. If I think the waiter is not really listening, I'll say, "It's important, I could die!" (also, be sure to bring at least two epi-pens if he is that allergic)

I was surprised on the last cruise because there were cashews in the gobi aloo :confused: so you should ask when you order each night, just to make sure.

Stay away from nuts...I never thought of that ;) LOL!!!

Thanks for the advice. He can be around others that are eating nuts, as long as they don't kiss him on the mouth after ;)

He usually stays away from desserts anyways. Thats how he had his first allergic reaction!

My husband is from the school of "don't think others will look out for you, always ask and don't be dumb!"

A few years ago I sat at a table with a man who was also allergic to nuts. When he boarded, he let the maitre d' know about his allergy. After that, the head waiter would bring the next evening's menu for him each night. He would review the menu, ask questions, and make his choices. The waiter would note them and let the kitchen staff know about the allergy. I never saw him have an attack so I assume RC did a good job of keeping his food away from anything with nuts.

A few years ago I sat at a table with a man who was also allergic to nuts. When he boarded, he let the maitre d' know about his allergy. After that, the head waiter would bring the next evening's menu for him each night. He would review the menu, ask questions, and make his choices. The waiter would note them and let the kitchen staff know about the allergy. I never saw him have an attack so I assume RC did a good job of keeping his food away from anything with nuts.

Same thing, maitre d' then, I will agree that the Head Waiter is the most important person to deal with once assigned to your table. And of course the Head Waiter will let the Waiter know how important it is.

I also sat at a table with someone who needed him to go over the menu every night and pick out the next nights foods.

The head Waiter would always make sure to come over before she started eating her meal and see that she received exactly what they ordered together. Before dinner ended, he would bring over the next nights menu and they would pick out what she could and could not have.

He spent more time at our table than any.

Hello all,

I did note on my reservation about the allergy and I'm guessing Royal would be pretty accomodating?

Hi

I have a seafood, wheat and mushroom allergy. The seafood is deadly and I always carry an epipen. Before each sailing I email foodallergies@rccl.com and detail the date of the cruise, our res #, my name and cabin # and provide the list of my allergies. They were great with me on the Mariner in March, but not so great last Nov when we were on the Serenade. They did very well with the exception of one night when my gluten free sauce had WHEAT in it and although I asked and the food was supposed to be made especially for me, they goofed. Another time on the Serenade the waiter mixed up our table's order with the next table and sat a plate of shrimp in front of me. I am sensitive enough that the juice in an open cut could kill me. Tell the Maitre D when you first board, then when you are seated remind the head waiter and the waiter every day just to be safe. I had always told them when I first arrived on the ship, but with the last sailing I emailed before and we believe that is the reason we had a table for 2, so that we did not impair the enjoyment of other guests, which was fine with us. Fortunately the only goof was with wheat and not seafood or mushrooms so I was ok.

With cruising in only 11 days, the message may or may not make it to the ship.

Good luck and have a fun cruise!

Dee

Hello all,

My DS has nut allergy and evrything inbetween, we made it just fine on the Ship, but do let the waiter know and they will be very helpfull, we had not told our waiter until the last night because we declined a dessert with nuts and just said no he has allergy for nuts and she was very concerned about that. But we are grown ups and we can watch out for that allergy, I try not to make a big deal about it.

Just be very careful in the Windjammer... I'm alergic to seafood... and sometimes people will take the spoon from the seafood salad and put it in the chicken salad... I'm just always very careful and always ask if I don't know... and just pass it up if I'm not sure. Our waiters have always made a note the first night of the cruise and they refrain from placing seafood in front of me! Even when we ate at the Captains' Table or with other staff... and there was only seafood apps offered... I just said I'd skip that course, and of course--- they fell all over themselves to bring something for me. Never had a problem with seafood... but some of the main dishes and apps are made with nuts... so definately let your server know. Happy Sailing!

You need to be your own advocate. Do not rely on the "Special Needs" department to notify anyone on the ship (I know from prior experience on this very same issue). Remind your waiters each and every day about your allergies. There is always at least one officer in charge in the buffet area... ask for him upon entering and he can guide you through the items or he will find a chef that knows. I hope you have an absolutely wonderful and healthy cruise.

Archived