Odyssey Disembarkation in Venice Question

Croce

I'm in the process of booking land transportation to meet us when we arrive on October 3rd. The Itinerary says the ship docks at 7:00AM. What time would you recommend that I have the limo meet us? I was thinking 8 - 8:30AM, but since this is our first cruise, do not know what to expect when leaving the ship. Thanks. - Croce

I'm in the process of booking land transportation to meet us when we arrive on October 3rd. The Itinerary says the ship docks at 7:00AM. What time would you recommend that I have the limo meet us? I was thinking 8 - 8:30AM, but since this is our first cruise, do not know what to expect when leaving the ship. Thanks. - Croce

08.30 should be fine. Hold ups are usually due to immigation officials making checks. Depends where your previous port was. Would help if in Italy.

It also depends on whether you're catching a flight or staying on in Venice in a hotel. If the former your flight time should dictate when you disembark. If the latter, I'd stay on as long as possible, at least till 9:30 since hotel rooms are generally not ready that early.

And where your hotel is matters as well. I suppose the hotel will hold your bags even if your room isn't ready, but if you are staying outside Venice proper and wish to tour before heading there, you can drop off luggage at the train station in the interim.

Even with an airport hotel it's not that far back onto the island for touring.

All of this can be arranged on the ship a few days before your arrival--then if there is a delay in getting off the ship, you will be covered-- maybe a little more expensive, but in my mind well worth the additional cost. It's all well planned, and works well! Don

Thanks all. We're staying at the airport Marriott for two nights before returning home. I planned on going to the hotel first and drop off the luggage prior to returning to Venice for a day of sightseeing. I saw venice limousines mentioned somewhere on these boards so emailed them and their rate of 69 euro for a mercedes van to take the four of us with luggage to our hotel sounded pretty good. They say no charge for waiting and want the ship name and info so will probably check somehow - But I'll make it for 8:30AM based upon your comments. Appreciate your advice. - Croce

We are going to stay at the Santa Elena after the cruise, we will be on same cruise as you guys Croce. It is a short walk from a vaporetto stop but as we are travelling with 2 friends of ours will catch a water taxi, how we end up doing it of course is a different matter never having been there before. Fancy a change of hotel as is only a 3 minute vaporetto to St Marks frm the local stop which is a allegedly 2 minute walk from the hotel? It's got really good reviews on trip advisor as well and close to the 'action' without being too close

Brad, We thought about staying on the island too, but our flight leaves very early AM on Monday, so needed to be close to the airport to make the connection easier. Never been to Venice and looking forward to it. We have pre-booked a Doges secret tour and watchtower tour but are pretty open to suggestions otherwise. Let's hope we have good weather. Looking forward to seeing you all onboard. - Croce

If Roy Willis is the lecturer on your cruise just ask him. He knows everything about where to go etc. If not, the highlights are around St Marks Square, the old ghetto and do see La Fenice from the inside. Two days doesn't sound like a lot. I've spent a total of two weeks there (one week in 06 and one in 07) and still have much left to see and do. There is a gem around every corner, as was said before.

Seabourn will book you a water taxi. Don't worry about anything; they have everything under control.

IMO you are wasting a lot of precious time going all the way out to the airport and back. When you get off the ship just have a cab take you to Piazza Roma. There is a flat fare of 15 Euros from P. Roma to the Stazione Maritime so I guess its the same for the reverse. There is a left luggage location there. You can check your bags for the day and when you are done your sightseeing simply pick up your luggage and take a cab to the Airport Marriott.

You can also do it really cheaply as I did two weeks ago and take the bus from Piazza Roma to the airport for 3 Euros. If I remember correctly the Marriott has a shuttle to the airport.

Archived