Old Canal or New Canal?

Cruizer Bill

They really did! The signal was telegraphed to the Canal from Washington. I really don't know of the circuitry that was employed, I suppose it could have been set up any number of ways to accomplish the blowing up of the dike at Gamboa. The Canal did not actually open until August 15 1914, the early flooding of Gaillard Cut (called Culebra at the time) was thought to help stabilize the banks in the Cut since they were experiencing a lot of slides. It really did not have as much of the desired affect as they hoped since slides have been a recurring problem over the years.

I found this on the Panama Canal's web site..... "On the afternoon of October 10, 1913, U.S. President Woodrow Wilson pushed a button in Washington, D.C., to blast a dike at Gamboa. The signal, sent by telegraph from Washington to New York, then to Galveston, and from there to Panama, was almost instantaneous. Culebra Cut had almost totally been flooded and became an extension of Gatun Lake."

Interesting... I wonder if the signal reached Panama by telegraph, to have someone there commence the explosion? If not, how did the signal get from Galveston to Panama- were there telegraph lines laid all the way through central America?

Guess I will have to wait for Richard's book to arrive, I ordered it the other day. :)

Interesting... I wonder if the signal reached Panama by telegraph, to have someone there commence the explosion? If not, how did the signal get from Galveston to Panama- were there telegraph lines laid all the way through central America?

Guess I will have to wait for Richard's book to arrive, I ordered it the other day. :)

At about 3.20 in this

it shows the photo of the moment the dyke was blown up. At 2.02 pm apparently.

This is a 1901 map of telegraph lines, I found one from 1895 but it was not clear enough but they did have telegraph service to Panama then. The actual explosion could have accomplished in a number of ways.... making it a real automatic remote signal would not be difficult as the telegraph could have been set up in such a manner as to close a relay to cause the current to flow to the explosives. I'm sure the current would have been supplied at the Canal and the telegraph would just closed the circuit. They also could have managed very simply by when the signal arrived they had someone push the plunger or crank the magneto.

fjlyk3.png

• 1 month later...
No, I have not.... maybe I need another B2B on the Badger:)!

Sounds like a plan!

Thanks Bill for all of your wonderful info that you share with us all - you are appreciated by all!

Sounds like a plan!

Thanks Bill for all of your wonderful info that you share with us all - you are appreciated by all!

You're welcome... I spent a lot time there and I enjoy sharing. Happy cruising!

We just did this cruise last fall and really enjoyed it. We actually took the cruise (19 days) from Vancouver all the way to Fort Lauderdale. I plan on doing this cruise again in 2015. NCL brought onboard a canal expert to narriate the complete "daylight transit". You could see work being done but in no way did it take away from the cruise passage. Those that say "if you've seen 1 lock, you've seen them all" can enjoy the amenities on the ship but I found the information and views fasinating. If you're a North American, this cruise offers the "best bang for the buck".

PORTS:

Cab San Lucas, a resort town with your usual tourist shops and activities. (just okay for me)

Acapulco, went to Tehuacalco Astro-Archaeological Zone, in Guerrero, is an ancient Yope ceremonial center, one of the few seigniories never dominated by Aztecs. The site includes the remains of a ball court, residential space, and a holy temple. (I enjoyed it)

Huatulco, a resort town with your usual tourist shops and activities. (just okay for me)

Puerto Quetzal, took a tour to Casa Santo Dominigo and the city of Antigua (I enjoyed it)

Puntarenas, took the "Rain Forest Skywalk" tour and hung around the port afterwards (I loved it)

The Panama canal passage was great as NCL brought onboard a Panama Canal expert to narrate the complete crossing. It was educational as well as beautiful. A fantastic day!

Cartagena, took the tour of "Magnificent Cartagena" (I enjoyed it)

In summary, The ship was nice and the ports of call were great! It's a holiday and beats working! You will like NCL if you are an easy going casual type of person. You will not like it if you expect a more "formal" and structured type of cruise. I can go either way but the "ports of call" selection and "cruise value" means more to my family. I will do this cruise again after they complete the canal expansion.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived