Port side balcony NCL Star Alaska??????????

Deacon23

We are considering booking an NCL Star Alaska cruise in August 2010. I know that these questions have already been asked but I am still confused! Sorry! We have never been on a cruise before! Unfortunately the cruise does not go to Glacier Bay but does go to Sawyer Glacier. The ship will be sailing out of Seattle.

Can anyone please advise me which side to book a balcony cabin to get the best views and also which deck is the most suitable?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated and I do not understand it is a personal preference but any good/bad experiences would be helpful.

Once I have sorted these out and booked I will be asking questions re excursions, sorry again!!!:confused::)

You will get a lot of people who will try to talk you into booking the Pearl, but I have to tell you we loved our Alaskan cruise so much on the Star that for our cruise next May we choose to sail on her again. Yes, we will not get to glacier bay, but I can live with that.

As far as which side, if you can swing it, we are HUGE fans of Aft. You get the best views of every thing, IMHO. Some people like Forward so they can see where they are heading, we like Aft to see where we have been. For Sawyer glacier (Dawes glacier if Sawyer is too ice bound) I can't lie and tell you the best view is Aft. It honestly is probably Forward. I don't believe Port or Starboard will get a better view over the other. TRUTHFULLY if you can at all afford it, the excursion where you get up close and personal with the glacier is your best option and please trust me when I say it is worth every penny. If cost were a factor I would give up excursions at all other ports just to be able to take this one. If I could only take two excursions, it would be this one first and Misty Fjord second. I know you said you would ask about excursions later on, but I couldn't resist. 8-)

While Dawes glacier (Endicott Arm) was the highlight of our cruise as far as excurions, I can not help but believe the best part of our cruise, the most memoriable for me, is when we were sailing port to port and we would be on our Aft balcony and watch beautiful Alaska appear, then disappear as the ship sailed quietly by it. I could try all day long, but would never be able to descirbe the absolute beauty and magic of that experience. Until the day I leave this earth, that is one memory I will carry with me with great joy.

We were on the port side last may on the star, port or stbd doesnt really matter as you will see both sides coming or going. The star is a wonderful ship and wherever you choose you will have a great time. Also on excursions we took the cheaper whale watching and it was the best.

We had the same question when we sailed on the Pearl last June. That was our first cruise. However, it really doesn't matter. Both sides have occasional advantage. I enjoyed getting out on the various decks to see the sights also. The sights are wonderful both sailing up and on the return. So regardless, from either side you'll see it all.

Thank you all soooooooo much. Think I will try and get an aft balcony, do not care which deck as long as we get a balcony.

You are all very kind in replying to these questions and I can't thank you enough, I am sure other researchers feel the same.

When I am all booked up, then it will be excursion time! However, thanks for advice about excursions already.:)

Archived