Bring a fan on the ship

I first got hooked on the fan to go to sleep when we rent an unconditioned home. I slept so well that now our whole family is hooked on fans to go to sleep even when it is snowing and freezing outside. It blocks out all the noises and lets you go into a deep sleep. I have never taken one on a trip before but so glad to read so many people are like us and I will be asking for a fan when we get on the ship. I do bring my own little coffeemaker. Some things if you buy the right size just do not take up that much room and I would rather have that then an extra pair of shoes.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway, maybe someone out there knows if there's a 220v plug besides the shaver plug on The Emerald, but I doubt there is. There are a couple ships that were previously the "of the seas" company ships that Princess now owns, and are 220v or have at least some 220v plugs, but this is the first time I have heard any of the grand class princess ships have a 220v other than the shave plug.

It would be handy in expensive Copenhagen too, but there won't be any 220v there, so we'd have to bring a step-up converter, and it's just not worth it.

!

The Emerald has a 220 shaver only plug in the bathroom, if you plug in anything else larger, it will trip its breaker.

The normal plugs in the cabin are 120 vac US style plugs. I am not sure what they use for the two lamps by the bed. Some of the ships have Euro type 220 plugs for the bed lamps. There are no other 220 volt plugs in the rooms of the Emerald that I could find.

Alan

We haven't brought a fan YET - but I was just telling DH yesterday, that if we ever go on an extended cruise, we'll buy one at the embarkation port and take it onboard! Then at the end of the cruise, we'll give it to the cabin steward.

We're used to having our A/C at 73 degrees at home and we have a hard time getting ship cabins to go that low. Plus, there's the humidity too. We're just not used to humidity at all. The fan would really come in handy, especially when it's stuffy in the cabin after a couple showers and you're trying to get dressed for dinner.

When I was working the rotating shifts I would always use a fan or AC unit to drown out the noise of my kids when they were young and the outside noise when trying to sleep during the day. It got to the point that now my whole family (grandchilren also) have to have a fan in order the sleep.

At least 2 small fans go with us on either a cruise or land vacation and at mine and my wifes head. This is definately as much a part of our packing as our clothes are.

I first got hooked on the fan to go to sleep when we rent an unconditioned home. I slept so well that now our whole family is hooked on fans to go to sleep even when it is snowing and freezing outside. It blocks out all the noises and lets you go into a deep sleep. I have never taken one on a trip before but so glad to read so many people are like us and I will be asking for a fan when we get on the ship. I do bring my own little coffeemaker. Some things if you buy the right size just do not take up that much room and I would rather have that then an extra pair of shoes.

I love my white noise with my fan at all times of year. I have not taken it on a trip as it is a large box type. On the Emerald last January we had a very noisy room, and I asked the steward if a fan could be located to help, and he asked the supervisor. I was told they only have the huge industrial fans, so do not count on being able to get one onboard. Maybe you could get lucky, though.

Do these small 5" fans give out much white noise? If so I will definitely be looking into one of those.

I don't get bringing a coffee maker, fan.... how do you fit in the suitcase! If you leave the curtains closed dring the day, especially in port the room will stay cool. We have never had a problem with the room being cool. If I brought all that stuff I wouldn't have room for the scotch & vodka!:)

Archived