First time cruiser planning

Hi all,

My family of four (wife, 2 teenagers & I) are thinking of going on a cruise over the kid's spring break (April 9-17). Currently we are considering the April 10-17 cruise to the Mexican Riviera with either Royal Caribbean or Carnival. Our TA is recommending that we get 2 oceanview rooms. However, I noticed that we could get a bigger, better room for less money if we all stayed in the same room. On the assumption that we won't spend much time in the room anyway, does this make sense?

Also, opinions Royal Caribbean vs Carnival?

I am sure I will have many more questions over the next few days as we make our decision. Feel free to chime in with any helpful hints.

Thanks,

Mark

The big problem will be 4 using the bathroom, especially on formal nights, Clearly 4 in a room will save you money. So only you know what priority you have.

As far as RCI or Carnival, if you have never been it doesn't matter, because you will have nothing to compare it to. Both provide a very good product, and you will have a great time on either.

jc

Are your teenagers boys or girls? This would make a difference because of the bathroom. Cabin space if very tight with 4 people. Are you concerned about the price of the cruise? This would be one big difference between the two lines you are considering. We are going on a cruise for Easterwith 2 teenager girls and we booked a verandah and an inside right across the hall. We wanted our privacy and the fact that the girls hog the bathroom.

I hope this helps you a little.

Are your teenagers boys or girls? This would make a difference because of the bathroom. Cabin space if very tight with 4 people. Are you concerned about the price of the cruise? This would be one big difference between the two lines you are considering. We are going on a cruise for Easterwith 2 teenager girls and we booked a verandah and an inside right across the hall. We wanted our privacy and the fact that the girls hog the bathroom.

I hope this helps you a little.

Cost is A factor, but not THE factor. I was just thinking that the $500 or so we might save could be better spent on other things like excursions, souvenirs, etc.

We have a 16 year old daughter and a 14 year old son.

How is your 16 year old with her hair and make-up. Does the lad like to make sure his hair is good too. You could get away with the four in the room if you are use to one bathrrom at home. Try it out for a long weekend at home, that will tell you which way you need to go. Use only one bathorom for everyone all weekend and make sure wife and daughter learn to do make up in bedroom while other is in bathroom. If it is to hard then you need two rooms. As for ship go on a newer one that is larger, more activitites for the kids . Have them go to the teen meeting to meet other teens. Talk to them about drugs and alcohol as it is available in Mexico with no age limit.

Welcome to the boards. Once you decide go on the cruiseline's board here and ask questions. Join the roll call for your ship and ask if other teens are going the kids may meet some before they go.

Hi all,

Our TA is recommending that we get 2 oceanview rooms. However, I noticed that we could get a bigger, better room for less money if we all stayed in the same room. On the assumption that we won't spend much time in the room anyway, does this make sense?

Also, opinions Royal Caribbean vs Carnival?

Thanks,

Mark

I have never sailed on RC but plan to this November for the first time. My opinion of Carnival is not the best because I was not happy with our first cruise with them. We sailed for 5 nights and not once meet our room steward and the whole cruise felt like a big party. Now, you will be taking a longer one but still could be a party ship because of the time of year. I would suggest going with Royal Caribbean first. They are not that much more money.

As for the room, we bumped up to a Junior Suite this time around for us. I have a DD that is 14 and a DS that is 11 for our next cruise. If you are worried about the bathroom time, take late seating and start getting ready early. Another suggestion, get one ocean view room and an inside across the hall. If that is not possible, just go for one room. You really are not there that often.

I would choose a balcony cabin for you and your wife and and inside cabin across the hall for your kids. The "teen clubs" have quite a few activities that go late into the night, so your teens might be coming into the cabin in the wee hours of the morning. When we took our teens, we let them hang out and had them do a quick check-in with us when they were safely back in their cabin. An inside cabin should be much cheaper than a balcony. You could also get an oceanview for you and your wife and an inside across the hall for your kids. That would save even more money. Also - get the soda card for the kids! $35-40 for unlimited soda throughout the cruise.

We have 5 so we need the 2 cabins, our question is do we get connecting rooms or across the hall, since our youngest is 9 we are still getting the connecting rooms. I can tell you that have the 2 bathrooms is a good thing, especially if 5 need a shower before heading off to dinner or something. With 1 room, I am sure you can handle the space, it is the bathroom that you may need. Also, depending on the layout of the rooms, many quads on RC have the 2 upper bunks over the 2 lower bunks when they are separate, if you put the beds together in a queen, you would have yoor kids looking down on you, don't know how much privacy you need?

much roomier at every class. Not an RCI basher, I'm about to make it 3 RCI's in a row..they have a fine product, but that is fact. If you are saving money with one cabin..go with Carnival..other than that. both great lines..and since it is your first, you will love it and have trouble switching, no matter which line you take.

Mitch

Carnival tends to attract a younger crowd. If its during Spring break there will be a LOT of loud partying going on.

If your looking for a quieter cruise to bond with your family and enjoy the various islands you may want to go with Royal Caribbean. The food on Royal Caribbean is usually better quality.

Being a parent myself I would need to consider the maturity level of two teenagers in a room away from parents. Many teens get caught up in the partying onboard and invite new friends into their room or slip out at all hours of the night to have fun.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

Being a parent myself I would need to consider the maturity level of two teenagers in a room away from parents. Many teens get caught up in the partying onboard and invite new friends into their room or slip out at all hours of the night to have fun.

Although my kids are very well mannered and well behaved, I hear what you're saying. I have been a volunteer youth leader at my church for nearly 19 years and its amazing what some of the "quiet" kids will turn into on a church retreat.

Which RCI ship are you considering? We did a mexican riveria in sept on the Legend and while DH and I had a great time my teens would have been bored out of their minds because there really weren't that many teen activities going on (mind you that could have been time of year).

Having traveled with 2 teens (16 & 17) I would opt for the seperate rooms. As previous posters have stated the teen club is open late and yes they may invite kids back to their room for an after hours pizza party (mine certaintly did). You know your kids and how well they follow rules. sit down with them before you go and set the ground rules and the consequences if they break them. We had keys to their room and we did pop in unannounced at all hours of the night. The worse we found was a very messy room and few extra girls who spent the night.

Sailed Mariner last July with 16 yo daugher and 12 yo son. Opted for balcony for the alleged adults (DW and I) and put the kids right across the hallway in an inside cabin. Worth every extra penny. The parents get private time, the kids a sense of freedom and it worked very well.

consider it.

Alphadog

Cost is A factor, but not THE factor. I was just thinking that the $500 or so we might save could be better spent on other things like excursions, souvenirs, etc.

We have a 16 year old daughter and a 14 year old son.

I totally agree that the $500 could be spent on other things. We elected to drive to our port, because the airfare during spring break was very high. We also have a nice vehicle with a DVD. The girls will watch movies and after the cruise we can stay in Florida and visit family.

Since you have a boy and a girl, one cabin should be fine. We stayed in one cabin with 3 kids on a Carnival cruise. We had the late dinner seating. My DH and I got ready for dinner, went to Happy Hour and the 3 girls got dressed and met us for dinner. The one problem we encountered with the late seating was that the kids club had activities that started a little before dinner. We had made a deal that we would all meet for dinner, but we had to change our plans some days. One other thing, we had no privacy.

If you do consider two cabins, someone had a great idea. Get a baby monitor. You can place it their room and hear everything. Make sure you bring a surge protector to make sure you have enough plugs for everything.

Good luck planning your vacation.

OK, I pulled the trigger and we're booked on the Vision of the Seas 4/10/05 to the Mexican Riviera. I misread the price sheet and it turns out we wouldn't save any money by cramming all 4 of us into a bigger cabin so I booked 2 adjoining cabins on the 3rd deck.

Thanks for everybody's helpful suggestions.

Mark

OK, I pulled the trigger and we're booked on the Vision of the Seas 4/10/05 to the Mexican Riviera. I misread the price sheet and it turns out we wouldn't save any money by cramming all 4 of us into a bigger cabin so I booked 2 adjoining cabins on the 3rd deck.

Thanks for everybody's helpful suggestions.

Mark

Have a wonderful time!!

I'm glad you got booked for your first cruise!! You'll have a great time. BTW, we went on a "Spring Break" cruise in April this past year - no worries. April Spring break is mostly school aged kids, most colleges have their Spring Break in Feb or March. I had the same worries, it was all for naught.;)

Enjoy!!!:D

Archived