To Bungalow or not to Bungalow...Princess Cays

FunandSunPeeps

On a upcoming cruise we are considering reserving a Bungalow on Princess Cays. Has any of our fellow cruise ethusiasts reserved a Bungalow on the island? Any pics? Is it worth it? Just wanted to get some feedback before making a final decision. Thanks!

We reserved a bungalow when there were 6 of us. I didn't realize that the drinks were included in the price. The assistants were great. The cooler area inside the bungalow was great to have. The food was good.

Would I do it again. Probably not. I'll stay on the ship in December and use the pool. It's just easier with my husband who is handicapped and I couldn't take advantage of all of the extras that are available on the ship. Like other times, when I cruise to certain places, I choose to stay on the ship. That's what's nice about having a choice on a cruise.

We reserved a bungalow when there were 6 of us. I didn't realize that the drinks were included in the price. The assistants were great. The cooler area inside the bungalow was great to have. The food was good.

Would I do it again. Probably not. I'll stay on the ship in December and use the pool. It's just easier with my husband who is handicapped and I couldn't take advantage of all of the extras that are available on the ship. Like other times, when I cruise to certain places, I choose to stay on the ship. That's what's nice about having a choice on a cruise.

This post is the first time I've heard that drinks were included in the price. I've heard different views depending on which ship you're on. Some people say they have their lunch brought to them, others say not.

From what I've read, it's not worth the price.

Janette

We loved it when we did it. We had some elderly people in our group. But they brought them lunch. Which was way too much food for 6. We all ate on it. The drinks were not included in our price. This was in December of 2007. The air condintioning was nice. It also has an outdoor shower for rinsing the salt water and sand off after we swam. I would do it again in a heartbeat, if there were enough to split the cost. Also don't forget about the priority tender tickets that were included with the rental. To me it was well worth it.

On a upcoming cruise we are considering reserving a Bungalow on Princess Cays. Has any of our fellow cruise ethusiasts reserved a Bungalow on the island? Any pics? Is it worth it? Just wanted to get some feedback before making a final decision. Thanks!

We rented a bungalow last November and really enjoyed it. I don't believe drinks were included, but priority tendering was. It was really nice to have an airconditioned getaway. Also, there are waiters who will get your lunch order for you. We reserved with a total of six people so it made the cost easier to bear.

Attached is a picture of the inside of our bungalow. If you click the pic, it will take you to an album with a few more pics.

2468780760046097424S600x600Q85.jpg

We have rented a bungalow twice and have another booked for our upcoming cruise in October. For us, it is so worth it. Besides the priority tender tickets, you can also get a golf cart ride from the dock area to your bungalow. It is quite a distance from the dock and if you have trouble walking, the cart is a lifesaver. Both prior times, we were served lunch in our bungalow on linens with real utencils. They brought a variety of everything available. Along with the air conditioner, there is also a ceiling fan to circulate the air. They supply beach towels for you, so you don't have to lug them off the ship. You get a waiter to bring you drinks, ice, food....and a head waiter is there to oversee. Outside of the bungalow, there are at least two lounge chairs and an umbrella table with chairs if you care to eat or drink outside. The outside shower is wonderful to rinse off the sand and salt. In front of the bungalow area is a great beach cove that has good snorkeling. Just be careful of the rocks....and sea urchins. Wear water shoes or your fins into the water. Don't forget to bring the bug spray. The no see-ums will bite you and the welts will stay with you and keep coming out for the entire cruise. The cost is easier to take when you have others to share. Ask your roll call if anyone is interested in joining you.

Oh, now there is another option at the bungalows. It's called the Sanctuary bungalows. I called Princess to inquire about them. I was told that they are an extention of the ship Sanctuary...massages and the like....and is 'adults only.' It also carries an additional $50 fee. We booked a regular bungalow again, but I will report back on what I find about the new ones.

Would I book again? Absolutely!:)

IMHO it is worth every cent (even without the buffet served at your bungalow and I certainly appreciate everyone's concerns over inequities on differnt cruises) It makes the day at the beach over the top, you'll have a terrific day on the beach with out it, and you'll have a great day on the ship, but the bungalow really makes for a great beach experieince. Could i find a secluded shaded area elsewhere on the beach, probably I could. But I''d rather go with a sure thing. The bungalow area is very peaceful and quiet and makes the perfect backdrop for a day of reading and listening to your ipod.

The priority tender got us to the beach first which was a real plus, no lines. The weather in May on the Cay was very hot. The Bungalow served as a great releif from the heat with the air conditioning. Without it, I think it would have been very uncomfortable spending the entire day in the sun. The outside shower at the bungalow is also great for the end of the day when changing to go back on the ship. You can also be the last one off the Cay thus maximizing your stay.

For me its the perfect end to a great cruise expereince. Regarding the cost, It's not unusualy to spend $100-200 a couple on any cruise excursion so I'm not sure why this one hit's a nerve with so many people. Heck some people rent the motercylces in St. Thomas for $300+ a head, I wouldn't do it but hey to each their own. For two people the Bungalow is a complete splurge, for 6 people, IMHO its a deal. People who are beach bums at heart will love it. I thnk the BBQ food is pretty good, and the drinks weren't included and I dont think your soda pass could be used, but drinks could be charged to your cruise card. I attached some pictures. The ship called us when we boarded and let us choose a Bungalow color, we chose Sea Grape

IMG_0150.jpg.c472f25a78f621b1d60858700c7071a9.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg.3e86759bbfae042985f5d0ae51e5e3cb.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg.9dc747d1e9ed314f91fc2affa5034a22.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg.a92efe197a9d9e4095f3616c3c503bfa.jpg

No pics but I would say it is worth it, especially if you have a group of 6 or so and are sharing costs. Food is included and you can take a break fron the heat if you wish. It's not a bad deal at all. I definately agree with Jersey Guys.

Is it possible to rent one bungalow and have 10 people in it? Do they only allow 6 people at a time. We are traveling in April '10 with our children and 2 couples and would like to split the cost. Is that possible, does anyone know?

We were there twice. First time we rented a sun shade and some beach chairs which worked just fine. When it got too hot we just went in for a swim. Second time the seas were too rough to bring the bar-b-q ashore, so there was no food. So we just stayed on board. We live very close to the Jersey shore and vacation every year in the OBX. So there is nothing exciting about Princess Cay for us. We found the place quite dull. Next cruise we plan to stay onboard and spend the day in the Sanctuary for some real R & R.

We took a 3-day Caribbean cruise last winter on NCL. I think that Princess can learn something from their Big Stirrup Cay operation. NCL does not use tenders. They use large passenger ferries that hold a few hundred people. They pull right up to the beach, the front drops down and you walk right off. This makes the whole transfer process quite fast. No gathering in the theater like on Princess waiting for your row to be called. The other thing that we really enjoyed was the little groves of palm trees that were scattered around the beach. They had picnic tables and a hammock and the trees provided a lot of shade. I hung out in the hammock and really felt that I was on a tropical isle.

We are discussing taking the Glass Bottom Ship Excursion while at Princess Cays next May 2010 and also wanting to rent a Bungalow (6 of us). If we schedule an excursion and leave our bungalow, will we be guaranteed to have it upon our return? Also is there Parasailing in Princess Cays? It's not listed in the excursion listing.

And I guess if it rains you are out of luck with your full payment for the day or do they cancel like other excursions?

What about drinks? Like beer or soda. Is someone assigned to the bungalows to help out? Local people?

I was just going to post this question when I saw someone else asked it. It was very helpful. With three couples and a few people do not like the sun, I think this would be terrific!

Thanks, as always these boards are THE BEST!!:D

And I guess if it rains you are out of luck with your full payment for the day or do they cancel like other excursions?

What about drinks? Like beer or soda. Is someone assigned to the bungalows to help out? Local people?

I was just going to post this question when I saw someone else asked it. It was very helpful. With three couples and a few people do not like the sun, I think this would be terrific!

Thanks, as always these boards are THE BEST!!:D

I think if the port is canceled due to weather, you aren't charged.

There are waiters who will take beverage orders at the bungalows (and get your lunch too:)). The waiters are from the ship.

Is it possible to rent one bungalow and have 10 people in it? Do they only allow 6 people at a time. We are traveling in April '10 with our children and 2 couples and would like to split the cost. Is that possible, does anyone know?

You will only get six priority tender tickets. But the rest of your party can jooin you at the bungalow. I don't think you can fit more than six in it at one time though. There are more chairs outside so you should have seating for everyone just not all inside at once.

Two of us booked a bungalow last Nov., thinking that friends on the cruise might want to stop by, cool off, etc. After disembarking the tender we found a staffer who told us we could ride a golf cart to our bungalow but there was no telling when a cart would be available, and it would not be that long a walk.

We were in one of the newer units. No natural shade and the beach umbrella provided, shaded most of one of us (DW), almost none of the other (Moi) and we had to keep moving it, at that. Our friends, closer than us to the pier, the food and the restrooms, had plenty of shade, without a bungalow.

The waiter working our area offered to bring us food from the buffet but said--no requests, he would just bring some of everything--and that we could not expect anything to be proper temp. by the time he got back to us.

I was lucky this way, but DW realized later that she had put on the party for the no-see'ems....discomfort literally for weeks after!!

I will save the money and stay aboard, next time.

Kman

I saw a family with 10 use the bungalow just fine. The adults (5) spent the better part of the afternoon at the bungalow while the teenagers spent almost the entire day at the beach or in the water. They all came together for lunch. Worked well for them as a touchdown space to leave their cloths, shoes, snorkles etc. People cam and went all day long. Don't know if its officially allowed but no one gave them a hard time.

Jerseyguys - We are on the Emerald in November and have a bungalow reserved for our family of five. I really like the looks of the seagrape one that I've seen pictures of in your previous posts. I have a few questions for you. Will we be able to request a specific color on the ship before we get to the Cay? Where is the seagrape in the order? Are there other colors that you would recommend? I'd like one that is amongst the palm trees and not too far down the beach (but not the first one or two either). I appreciate any recommendations you have.

Yes, can we reserve a bungalow in advance to be specifically in the shade? Thanks for your comments.

I don't believe you can reserve them in advance. On our cruise we were called within an hour of getting on board and asked if we had a preference for a bungalow, we just guessed.

Archived