Anyone used Tripit

garydm

Tripit is a website that allows you to build an itinerary for your trips. We are doing about 10 days land and then 12 days on Oosterdam in October so I wanted to use it. One of the neat features of it is you can forward emails of your itinerary from their "partners" to your file and it automatically builds the itinerary. Beats typing in 12 days of ports, etc. HAL is shown as a partner for the system so I emailed them asking that they email me the itinerary. No reply from HAL. I booked thru a TA so I have asked him to request it from HAL. Has anyone else used this yet? It would be nice if it would populate the file from a booking number.

Gary

Update: Received an email back from HAL after my post above but instead of providing the itinerary as part of the email they provided a link. This does not work with tripit. I called HAL and the "customer service" person would not send it to me because I had not booked with HAL. Seemed like a simple request. I will try and get it from the TA. HAL was less than helpful-just the opposite from when you are ordering onboard gifts or booking shore excursions, even though you did not book with HAL directly.

Gary

i am using tripit for our upcoming cruise and land vacation. I just forwarded the email cruise confirmation from my travel agent with my booking number in it and tripit knew the whole itinerary. i had to tweak it a bit as tripit is in beta mode, but it is pretty amazing. forward your air, rail, hotel, cruise, rent a car email confirmations to plans@tripit.com and the program puts them into an itinerary for you using just the confirmation codes.. then you can add your excursions and activities that don't automatically transfer.

try it!

paula

i am using tripit for our upcoming cruise and land vacation. I just forwarded the email cruise confirmation from my travel agent with my booking number in it and tripit knew the whole itinerary. i had to tweak it a bit as tripit is in beta mode, but it is pretty amazing. forward your air, rail, hotel, cruise, rent a car email confirmations to plans@tripit.com and the program puts them into an itinerary for you using just the confirmation codes.. then you can add your excursions and activities that don't automatically transfer.

try it!

paula

Oh my gosh! This is my new toy......love this website. I have entered all my travel plans and am now adding my excursions, restuarants and various activities. Thanks to the original poster and to paula for recommending it. Right now my husband is very irritated that I now have found something else to spend endless hours on at the computer.

There is no fee for the basic tripit service. You can choose to upgrade to "pro" or "gold" or something that will do even more if you like. As mentioned, the upgrade comes with a 30 day free trial, but the basic program is absolutely free-no credit card or anything required. With HAL's lack of cooperation I guess I will have to manually enter the days for the 12 day cruise.

You can also download your itinerary to your iPhone with the tripit app.

Gary

There is no fee for the basic tripit service. You can choose to upgrade to "pro" or "gold" or something that will do even more if you like. As mentioned, the upgrade comes with a 30 day free trial, but the basic program is absolutely free-no credit card or anything required. With HAL's lack of cooperation I guess I will have to manually enter the days for the 12 day cruise.

You can also download your itinerary to your iPhone with the tripit app.

Gary

Thanks Gary....I will check it out. I don't think it's necessarily HAL's "lack of cooperation." I think it's more HAL being technically challenged with the Internet!

It is odd that HAL can't or won't do it. For my flights, I simply forwarded the confirming email from Delta to tripit and there were all my flights, links, seat assignments, etc. on my itinerary. I did have to hand enter the hotels. So, the big gap is the 12 day cruise.

Gary

Hello,

Been using TripIt for awhile. I started entering info for an upcoming Baltic cruise before I actually had a booking number with HAL. It may take a little longer, but I think you'll be amazed at how easy it is to manually enter all the info. You can do the whole cruise in 10 minutes probably. I wouldn't get hung up on this one section of your trip.

But yes, for flights and hotel stays TripIt does save quite a lot of time. Haven't been able to test the system out with cruises, but now that I have a HAL booking number I guess I can try it.

Okay, I tried forwarding a PDF confirmaton of my HAL booking. It actually worked fine, I was a bit surprised. However, I actually preferred the overall results of when I manually entered the data. For example, when I manually entered the data I could specify the port time under each entry (and not just on the start date).

However, I think that if you forward the PDF you can probably also do the same fine-tuning. Bottom line, you can't expect this program to do absolutely everything for you, although it does do quite a lot.

gary- I think defaultet has a point. it may be easier to enter the cruise manually. I had to do quite a bit of editing on the cruise itinerary to get it right. and i had to edit all the weather boxes to match the ports.

it would be great if you could manually enter your confirmation code on the website and pull up your booking info like you can on yapta.com

i think tripit is still in beta mode so hopefully it will get better and better!

aloha, paula

My TA was finally able to have HAL send a PDF copy within an email of the "guest confirmation" and I forwarded it to tripit.com. It updated my itinerary with all the cruise information, ports of call, etc. Amazing program.

Gary

I spent way more time on Tripit than I should have (at work). It handled my September cruise, train reservations, city tour, and post cruise hotel stays (each booked individually) perfectly. I forwarded the confirmations from each, and it recognized that it was all one trip and put them together, even adding a map to my hotel from the port. Now I want to plan another trip just to use it.

Archived