Christmas / New Year on Mariner

retiredbrit

This year 09 / 10 Joyce and I are on QM2 from New York, for Christmas and New Year, next year 10 / 11 we are on Mariner for Christmas and New Year, Rio to Ft Lauderdale.

It will be a first on both ships. What is Christmas like on Mariner?

any information welcome

regards Alan

Wendy,

I was on one of those Mariner New Year's eve in the Panama Canal cruises with the black & white themed formal nights. Just so there is no confusion, it was not a "costume" event. Unless you consider all men wearing dark suits or tuxedos as costumed! Clay wore his black tux with white shirt and I wore a long black skirt with an ivory satin blouse. It works out that almost all the men are in black and white anyway and the women wore whatever they wanted. Many were in very colorful dress, and the ones who happened to have with them black and white clothes that would work on a formal night wore them. We had no written or formal notice before boarding the ship that New Year's Eve would have a black and white theme.

As to the original question, sorry I can't help as I haven't been aboard on Christmas day. As you might expect there is a bit more evening activity on New Year's Eve.

Debbie

My wife and I were on the Mariner for the Christmas and New Year cruise a year or so back. You knew it was Christmas and the New Year based on the decorations, but otherwise it was very low key. The only thing that surprised me was the chef served black eyed peas for us Southern folks on New Year day. Now it was clear after eating these this ol' boy was not from the South, but it was a nice gesture nevertheless.

As below B&W nights on other lines are just a variation of a formal night - we men are ok, the ladies teamed up tops and skirts to give the right effect - others wore what they had. I believe on one ship the dining room had a B&W theme with black balloons.

I have been on both P&O and Celebrity at Christmas - P&O were more traditional (to a Brit that is) Celebrity were very low key in the dining room on Christmas day - the maitre D said it was because they didnt want to offend other faiths.

regards Alan

The only thing that surprised me was the chef served black eyed peas for us Southern folks on New Year day. Now it was clear after eating these this ol' boy was not from the South, but it was a nice gesture nevertheless.

Ha Ha! That reminds me! From our blog:Lunch was to be a traditional New Year's fare. We were hoping to get blackeyed peas and collard greens, since that was the menu provided when we inquired through Ngaire's office, but that did not exactly happen. They listed Collard Greens and Hoppin' John on the menu. We think the chopped up iceberg lettuce was supposed to be the collard greens and it looked and tasted like cheez-whiz in the hoppin' john. So, we got ham and about 8-16 black eyed peas each, oh, well... The cheez-whiz was a surprise delicacy!

Debbie

f96b7d4c.jpg

We were on the Mariner last Christmas and New Year. Both were low key dress wise, hubby wore a tie/jacket on both evenings. Nothing special on Christmas. New Year they had a very nice party on the pool deck. Hope this helps.

Archived