Taxis in Rome

lcccbeloeil

We had heard a lot about the taxis in Rome and how they try to cheat you if they don't have a meter, and to get a cab with a meter so they can't cheat you, etc. etc.

So I will tell you about our two experiences.

We took a cab from the Vatican to the Spanish steps. We looked for a van with a meter so that all five of us could fit in one cab. The meter started at 2.80 Euros. Fair enough, that's about what our cabs start out at. The total fare... 6.40 Euros... but he wouldn't let us out until we gave him 10 Euros because he said the minimum fare was 10 Euros!! Cheater!

After the Spanish steps we walked further to the Capuchini Monastery (for the bone crypts) and looked for another van with a meter for the ride back to the Cicerone Hotel. No meters anywhere. One driver said it would cost us 15 Euros for the five us. We agreed because we didn't have much of a choice; the metro station was closed for repairs. We were sure he was going to find a way to cheat us out of more money...but no! It was 15 Euros for the five of us (pretty expensive considering) but he stuck to his price.

Here's an article I've posted before, but it's a really good "primer" on how to be vigilant regarding the little tricks and scams of taxi drivers:

http://reallyrome.com/blog/2007/11/15/how-to-take-a-taxi-in-rome-and-not-get-ripped-off/

The fares given may be slightly out of date as this was written two years ago, but still gives you valuable advice.

(P.S. It doesn't just apply in Rome; I had a taxi driver in Istanbul want to charge me the "night" rate and try to drop me off a couple of blocks from my hotel, assuredly because he knew he was liable to be caught out!)

I always advise people to download, printout and take with them the official taxi rates for the cities they will be traveling in. If necessary, show them to the driver so he/she knows you have the facts. Also, since everyone has cell phones these days, it's easy to call the city and complain while you're in the taxi. The following information is from the commune of Rome's web site (http://www.comune.roma.it/was/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_21L?menuPage=/Area_di_navigazione/Sezioni_del_portale/Dipartimenti_e_altri_uffici/Dipartimento_VII/Trasporto_pubb-9-_non_di_linea/TAXI/Tariffa_fissa_da_e_per_aeroporti/Fixed_rates_from_and_to_the_airports/)

ORDINARY TAXI FARES FOR ALL OTHER DESTINATIONS

ORDINARY FARE

Fixed charge upon entry: normal (from 7 a.m. to p.m.) Euro 2,80

sundays and holidays (from 7 a.m. ti 10 pm) Euro 4,00

night (from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m.) Euro 5,80

SUPPLEMENTS

For every piece of luggage larger than 35x25x50 Centimetres Euro 1,00 the first is free.

AMOUNT OF EACH SINGLE UNIT Euro 0,10

RATE 1 : in - town ( within G.R.A. ring road) Price for kilometres Euro 0,92

at the speed of more than 20km/hour

RATE 2 : Out-of-town (beyond G.R.A. ring road) price for kilometre Euro 1,52

At the speed of less than 20km/hour, units are besed on time.

Average price for one hour Euro 23,70

infoblu.gifFor further information and/or reporting of problems:

· TAXI Office: 06671070844

I always advise people to download, printout and take with them the official taxi rates for the cities they will be traveling in. If necessary, show them to the driver so he/she knows you have the facts. Also, since everyone has cell phones these days, it's easy to call the city and complain while you're in the taxi. The following information is from the commune of Rome's web site (http://www.comune.roma.it/was/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_21L?menuPage=/Area_di_navigazione/Sezioni_del_portale/Dipartimenti_e_altri_uffici/Dipartimento_VII/Trasporto_pubb-9-_non_di_linea/TAXI/Tariffa_fissa_da_e_per_aeroporti/Fixed_rates_from_and_to_the_airports/)

ORDINARY TAXI FARES FOR ALL OTHER DESTINATIONS

ORDINARY FARE

Fixed charge upon entry: normal (from 7 a.m. to p.m.) Euro 2,80

sundays and holidays (from 7 a.m. ti 10 pm) Euro 4,00

night (from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m.) Euro 5,80

SUPPLEMENTS

For every piece of luggage larger than 35x25x50 Centimetres Euro 1,00 the first is free.

AMOUNT OF EACH SINGLE UNIT Euro 0,10

RATE 1 : in - town ( within G.R.A. ring road) Price for kilometres Euro 0,92

RATE 2 : Out-of-town (beyond G.R.A. ring road) price for kilometre Euro 1,52

At the speed of less than 20km/hour, units are besed on time.

Average price for one hour Euro 23,70

infoblu.gifFor further information and/or reporting of problems:

· TAXI Office: 06671070844

Because I didn't know in advance, I argued with a taxi driver in Roma about being charged more on a Sunday. He spoke no English and kindly handed me their tariff card written exclusively in Italian. Fortunately, my Italian is a little better than most Americans so I was able to decipher enought that there was indeed a small surcharge for Sundays and holidays! The driver never really got upset and was very patient with me. I left him a good tip for not arguing too much with me. :)

Archived