Has Anyone Taken Ship's Tour to Rabat

Chelly

This is what HAL is offering and I'm wondering if the trip is worth the time and cost. Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks! C.

The Imperial City of Rabatim_shorex_3walkblack.gifim_shorex_limitedcap.gifim_shorex_snack-bl.gifPriceAdult $83; Child $42DurationApproximately 5½ - 6 hours DescriptionIt is a one-hour drive to Rabat, capital of Morocco and one of the four Imperial Cities. See the vast courtyard outside the Royal Palace and the 12th-century Hassan Tower gracefully dominating the ruins of a mosque. In the Old Town, you will discover the fascinating souks (markets) and the Oudaya Kasbah. See where the Roman town of Sala stood outside the walls of Rabat, and the remnants of a fortified cemetery built in the 14th century. Arriving in Casablanca, take advantage of a brief photo stop at the vast Hassan II Mosque and a 20-minute stop for optional shopping in the famous United Nations Square. im_shorex_collection_encore.jpgNotes

When we were in Casablanca on Regent a few years ago, we took the tour to Rabat. We were glad we did as it is a lovely city and we had time to visit the palace, and do the souk there which was better than Casablanca. We had lunch in one of the hotels. It is a bit of a drive, but with lunch and other things included, it was worth it. I don't know if HAL is offering that, but we preferred going to Rabat to staying in Casablanca. Hope this helps.

We did the trip you described. Unfortunately, you will not have enough time to see the interior of the huge Mosque in Casablanca, which would have been interesting. The trip to Rabat was long, but Rabat was interesting and the souk was a good shopping stop. Casablanca is not a very nice place to visit, so a trip to Rabat is much better than staying in Casablanca and more interesting than staying on the ship.

We, also, did the tour that you described. We enjoyed the trip to the very clean and interesting city of Rabat. We did go when it was raining (rain in Morrocco?, yes) the 4- lane highway that takes you to Rabat is right along the Med. area and has farms and greenery along the way.

Then we stopped at the President's Palace. - if a restroom is needed - be prepared for the 3rd world. Sharing with men (small privacy walls) and standing/squating are your choices. Not a problem - if you GOTTA go - LOL.

The whole day was interesting and great - we like to get out of the cities wherever we go and see the countryside. We were pleasantly surprized. Going to Rabat - sit on the left (if looking out the front windows) for the Med. scenery.

Wish I was joining you, MaryAnn

MaryAnn, That bathroom ranks up there as the worst toilet experience of all time - unless your bladder is bursting, try to avoid it - my husband and I still cringe about the experience. It has been about three years, and I still remember it vividly. LOL

Thanks all for the info on your tours to Rabat. We will be in Casablanca on Oceania in March 2010. They are offering a full day tour to Rabat -- approx. 7 hours -- for $139 p/p. Here's the itinerary: Royal Palace, Hassan Tower, Mohamed V Mausoleum, lunch, Kasbah and Andalucian Gardens, return to Casablanca.

My problem is, I don't like full day tours which include 2-hr. lunch stops. Since this sailing included perks like shipboard credit, I'm pretty sure lots and lots of passengers will take this excursion. (I have asked on our CC Roll Call which numbers about 60 pax and believe that most of them will take this tour) The logistics of transporting and feeding busloads and busloads of people boggles the mind.

We are a group of 5, which means it's costing us about $700 plus tips for this excursion. Admitedly, 3 of our party are not as adventurous as we are. Still, I would appreciate any recommendations for a private tour company which offers an intinerary that would return us to Casablanca for lunch at our choice of restaurant or on board.

I will also be cruising to Rabat on October. I have read great reviews about Rabat but I rather go on a private tour. Has anyone been on a private tour of Rabat and also Taroundant? Please share your experience and contact information. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Archived