Have the new self-check in kiosks been rolled out yet?

MamaParrotHead

That is a good question...we have been "told" they will be up and at em on Sept 3 when I cruise....Sept 1 is a cut off date it seems for the paper docs...our cruise is print them yourself ONLY...and supposedly they will have the kiosk system in place

I also wonder if it might get very backed up....some stores here have those self checkout lines and one person who is confused or having a problem can really hold those up?

I am printing out funpass and docs...but really I think all your info is "in" the computers and we don't really need all of the docs now, just funpass

I am interested to hear other's input on this....I will post about it when I return also or if I find more "definite" answers from Carnival/Port

Yes....here is the article from Carnival..

now it would be interesting to hear some first hand reports ??

Carnival News on Kiosks

As part of an ongoing effort to streamline the embarkation process, Carnival Cruise Lines has installed self-service check-in kiosks at its Port of Miami cruise terminal.

The state-of-the-art kiosks provide guests with a fast and convenient way to check in for their “Fun Ship” cruise.

To use Carnival’s self service kiosks, guests must have pre-registered online and be a U.S. or Canadian citizen, or from a Visa waiver country. To access their booking information and check in via the kiosk, guests simply swipe their passport or the credit card used to pre-register online. Additionally, the kiosks accept cash deposits for guests’ shipboard Sail & Sign accounts. Once guests have successfully checked in, the station prints a receipt confirming that their registration process is completed and directs them to pick up their stateroom keys at a nearby desk.

The kiosks are part of a pilot program at the Port of Miami and, if met with positive response from guests, will be expanded to the line’s other year-round homeports.

I'd still love to know how this kiosk is going to visually scan the documents to make sure people are who they say they are ... (which is pretty much the point of insisting on picture IDs ...)

You still need to board the ship. I'm guessing ships with the kiosks will have boarding staff to make sure you match your passport. JMO.

I'd still love to know how this kiosk is going to visually scan the documents to make sure people are who they say they are ... (which is pretty much the point of insisting on picture IDs ...)

The same way airport checkin kiosks work I would imagine.

We had a check-in person on RCL screw up our check-in so badly that I would have killed to deal with a machine instead. She took my partner's U.S. work permit out of his passport (which she should not have done) against our protests. She said that if he did not surrender it, we could not cruise. Of course, we didn't ask to see a supervisor because we presumed a front-line employee dealing with these things on a dialy basis would know what they were talking about (silly us!!!). Once onboard, we asked when he would get it back. They had no idea what we were talking about (we were at sea at this point) and when they radioed Miami, she said she had NOT kept the permit. We freaked out and detailed the encounter, since the permit had cost his company a great deal in legal fees to obtain. They called her supervisor and then it was found in her paperwork for that day. Yeah, give me a computer that doesn't make arbitrary decisions any day.

remember everyone the first time you use a self checkout anything you also give up the right to complain about job loss in America.Because you are the one taking jobs from those people who need those jobs to feed there children.sorry just a pet peeve of mine.(you should see the terrified look on my wifes face when someone at supermarket says to me "you only have a couple items why don't you use self checkout".Because i tell them why.sorry for the downer but it burns me up.OK get to flaming me.;)

remember everyone the first time you use a self checkout anything you also give up the right to complain about job loss in America.Because you are the one taking jobs from those people who need those jobs to feed there children.sorry just a pet peeve of mine.(you should see the terrified look on my wifes face when someone at supermarket says to me "you only have a couple items why don't you use self checkout".Because i tell them why.sorry for the downer but it burns me up.OK get to flaming me.;)

Most of the check-in staff we've had in Florida have long passed child-rearing but I take your point.

It's a fair point - but I think it is the beginning of a rollout across the industry in a similar fashion to the airlines. Once passengers become accustomed to the process, it will take off in a big way. Simple economics for the cruise lines. I would much rather check in at an airline counter with a real human being, but in this part of the world you could shoot a cannon across the airport and not hit an agent in uniform. Don't blame the poor remaining staff, it's a managerial decision to reduce staffing and labor costs.

We are already well on the way with e-tickets, self check-in is the next step.

It's a fair point - but I think it is the beginning of a rollout across the industry in a similar fashion to the airlines. Once passengers become accustomed to the process, it will take off in a big way. Simple economics for the cruise lines. I would much rather check in at an airline counter with a real human being, but in this part of the world you could shoot a cannon across the airport and not hit an agent in uniform. Don't blame the poor remaining staff, it's a managerial decision to reduce staffing and labor costs.

We are already well on the way with e-tickets, self check-in is the next step.

We all cut different corners. I have a friend who refuses to pump her own gas because of the person that takes a job from. Me, I like to pay less for gas. Some would never shop at Wal-Mart, choosing locally stores while others would never dream of shopping for less than lowest price. We prefer to support local farmers with our produce purchasing but I know some could not afford to do that. We all make and live with our own choices.

Archived