Is there a website to go to?

ryano

Hi all..............I hopefully will be cruising to Nassau and Coco Cay on Royal Carribeans Monarch of the Sea embarking on May 14 2010 with a group of friends.

I am a T 10 paraplegic confined totally to a wheelchair and realize that there are only 4 wheelchair accessible cabins on the Monarch (two interior and two OV)

I also realize there is a good chance these rooms may be booked already being that its less than a year to embarking.

Is there a website I can go to to see if they are booked or is this something I have to call Royal and ask?

Unfortunately, getting paid only once a month, I will not be able to make a deposit until August 31st. I dont own a credit card :o

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. Im new to all this. This will only be my second cruise.........The first one I booked about 18 months in advance.

Hi all..............I hopefully will be cruising to Nassau and Coco Cay on Royal Carribeans Monarch of the Sea embarking on May 14 2010 with a group of friends.

I am a T 10 paraplegic confined totally to a wheelchair and realize that there are only 4 wheelchair accessible cabins on the Monarch (two interior and two OV)

I also realize there is a good chance these rooms may be booked already being that its less than a year to embarking.

Is there a website I can go to to see if they are booked or is this something I have to call Royal and ask?

Unfortunately, getting paid only once a month, I will not be able to make a deposit until August 31st. I dont own a credit card :o

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. Im new to all this. This will only be my second cruise.........The first one I booked about 18 months in advance.

I think the quickest and easiest is to call the cruise line and ask. You don't have to book right away -- but as you know, the sooner the better. Explain your $$ situation and see if they'll hold it for the 2 weeks until you can make a deposit.

I hope this works out for you!

edited to add: maybe one of your friends could lend you the $$ to book the cabin, if one is available? Then you'd be sure to get it, and could pay back your friend at the end of the month?

The short cruises tend to book up later than longer cruises so there is still a good chance that there will be a cabin available. If not, ask to be put on a waiting list. HC cabins on RC are more available since they started requesting a form to get one. The form asks about your specific travel needs (wheelchair size, additional equipment needed, etc) but does not require a doctor signature. I was told that it must be completed and returned via email or fax within 60 days of making a booking or the cabin will be given away. I submitted the form within a couple days of booking so I don't know whether they really will give the cabin away.

I've had problems before RC started requiring the forms in getting HC cabins for my mom because they were all taken a year before sail date. Sometimes we had to try 3 or 4 different dates before an HC cabin was available and often it wasn't a category that we wanted. From reading the boards, I'm sure many of the cabins were taken by people who wanted the larger rooms and not by people who really needed them.

If I remember correctly, the deposit amount for a short cruise is $150 per person. I assume you are using a TA since I don't think you can book through RC directly without putting the deposit on a card.

EDITED: RC doesn't post the HC cabins as available on the website until all other cabins in that category are sold or less than 30 days from sail date. You must have your TA call them and ask for one or if you can book directly with RC, you can ask the representative for one.

I assume you are using a TA since I don't think you can book through RC directly without putting the deposit on a card.

thanks to the both of you :)

I was hoping to put the deposit on my Visa debit check card once my check hits the bank........I know Carnival didnt have a problem with me doing that and Im hoping RC doesnt either.

I will call RC and see what they say as far as the availability goes.

I appreciate the help!

There are several things you should keep in mind if booking RCL. They have a Special Needs department which should be able to tell you about availability.

The Monarch is one of their older ships, having only 4 accessible cabins as you have noted. Even the standard cabins are smaller than newer RCL ships and since you are wheelchair bound, your wheelchair may not fit through the cabin door and, if it does, there will be precious little room to move around inside. In standard cabins there is normally a lip of about 6inches going into the bathroom.

Finally, I believe the Coco Cay is a tendering stop; if it is, they may be unable to offload you and your wheelchair - another item you should check with Special Needs:)

http://www.lachances.com/Cruise/Quest/Quest%20Photos/5/med/CocoCayRamp.htm

Hi, we went to CocoCay in late 2007, and it was really great for accessibility. I posted some pictures of the accessible features at the link above. Hope it helps. Have a great time. Cruising is a great way to vacation if you're a wheelchair user, as long as you get the accessible cabin.

thanks to the both of you :)

I was hoping to put the deposit on my Visa debit check card once my check hits the bank........I know Carnival didnt have a problem with me doing that and Im hoping RC doesnt either.

I will call RC and see what they say as far as the availability goes.

I appreciate the help!

They should let you put it on a debit card. Something weird with debit cards is the transaction gets held for the price plus 15% over. When the transaction process is completed, the extra 15% disappears. I'm not sure why it works that way or if it works that way for everyone. RC says it's not them - it's something VISA cards do for travel related expenses.

There are several things you should keep in mind if booking RCL. They have a Special Needs department which should be able to tell you about availability.

The Monarch is one of their older ships, having only 4 accessible cabins as you have noted. Even the standard cabins are smaller than newer RCL ships and since you are wheelchair bound, your wheelchair may not fit through the cabin door and, if it does, there will be precious little room to move around inside. In standard cabins there is normally a lip of about 6inches going into the bathroom.

Finally, I believe the Coco Cay is a tendering stop; if it is, they may be unable to offload you and your wheelchair - another item you should check with Special Needs:)

In the past, special needs wouldn't take a booking. I've always had to call the reservations number and the person taking my reservation calls Special Needs to get the cabin released. I give the reservations person my first choice cabin number and if that is booked, go to second choice.

Coco Cay is a tendering stop. IF the water is calm, they will let wheelchair passengers onto the tender. When I was there with my mom, we were supposed to be on the next tender when the captain decided the water was getting too rough for wheelchairs. I could have gone over if I wanted, but they wouldn't let my mom on the tender. I stayed onboard and it turned out to be the best choice. A couple hours later, the tender was moving +/- 3 feet relative to the ship and passengers were having problems getting back onboard. I don't know how they would have gotten my mom back onboard if she were on the island.

http://www.lachances.com/Cruise/Quest/Quest%20Photos/5/med/CocoCayRamp.htm

Hi, we went to CocoCay in late 2007, and it was really great for accessibility. I posted some pictures of the accessible features at the link above. Hope it helps. Have a great time. Cruising is a great way to vacation if you're a wheelchair user, as long as you get the accessible cabin.

The link didn't work for me. Not sure what's wrong.

RYANO,

I forget to mention, if you do make it over to Coco Cay, try to go early. RC has a couple of sand-type wheelchairs that you can use (if you are interested), but it's first come-first served. You might be able to use one to make it easier to get onto the beach. They aren't electric so someone will need to give you a push. The tires are extra wide and tall (like an off-road vehicle) to make it easier to move over the sand. You'd have to leave your regular chair at the information center. I was told RC will lock up your regular chair so it won't get taken, but since my mom wasn't able to get to Coco Cay, I didn't find out myself. Maybe GRBlizz knows.

They should let you put it on a debit card. Something weird with debit cards is the transaction gets held for the price plus 15% over. When the transaction process is completed, the extra 15% disappears. I'm not sure why it works that way or if it works that way for everyone. RC says it's not them - it's something VISA cards do for travel related expenses.

In the past, special needs wouldn't take a booking. I've always had to call the reservations number and the person taking my reservation calls Special Needs to get the cabin released. I give the reservations person my first choice cabin number and if that is booked, go to second choice.

Coco Cay is a tendering stop. IF the water is calm, they will let wheelchair passengers onto the tender. When I was there with my mom, we were supposed to be on the next tender when the captain decided the water was getting too rough for wheelchairs. I could have gone over if I wanted, but they wouldn't let my mom on the tender. I stayed onboard and it turned out to be the best choice. A couple hours later, the tender was moving +/- 3 feet relative to the ship and passengers were having problems getting back onboard. I don't know how they would have gotten my mom back onboard if she were on the island.

thanks for all the information :) I wont be upset at all if I have to stay on board at Coco Cay if the seas are rough........Ive never been and would love to see it but Im one that wouldnt care if the boat just went out and done circles for 4 or 5 days :) I love the boats basically.

I dont think there will be a problem otherwise as long as I can get a fully HC cabin..........It appears the doorways are 34" and my chair is only 29" and actually can be adjusted less than that. There was no problem on the Holiday and its the oldest ship in Carnivals fleet and it only had 32" doors.

I dont really need much room in the cabin just as long as I can get in the door to a bed and have an accessible bathroom and shower...........I didnt spend alot of time in the room on my first cruise and cant imagine doing it on this one :)

I really appreciate everyones kindness and help here. I didnt get a chance today but I am going to call Royal in the morning.

Archived