Contemplating Alaska on Carnival

Megnolia

Megnolia, we did the Carnival Spirit 3 years ago in July and had a fantastic time. We have actually been on the Spirit 3 times with different itineraries. She's a beautiful ship! Alaska was one of my favorite cruises. I would highly recommend a balcony cabin because of all the scenery. If you go in July you can sit on the balcony at times. The weather was 65-70 and beautiful except for one day.

• Administrators

Choose your Alaska cruise based on what you want to see and do in Alaska. For us, Glacier Bay was a priority on our first trip -- if it is for the OP, then Carnival won't work because with the change to Seattle the Spirit doesn't go to Glacier Bay any more. Depending on when you sail, if viewing glaciers is a priority you may or may not be able to on the Spirit's new itinerary (Tracy Arm often is iced over until late in the season).

I don't consider Alaska to be "all about" the ship -- it's about Alaska. :)

Definately suggest Princess for Alaska. Glacier Bay is a definate. I checked prices for next July On their round trip from Seattle and thought it was very reasonable. Seattle air is so much cheaper also. Would not do NCL even if someone else was paying. Have never had anyone go on them and come back with a good review.

Wonderful review! That was really a pleasure to read, thanks!

No problem - we really had a great time. I also think issues with people mentioning room size on different cruiselines is also a function of what you are willing to pay for. We've sailed in suites on RCL, Carnival, and NCL and have never been disappointed or had complaints of it being small.

One of my friends at work also did Alaska last August with their family on X and they also had a great time. They did the floatplane excursion, went salmon fishing with a private guide, and stayed at a lodge.

Howard

Would not do NCL even if someone else was paying. Have never had anyone go on them and come back with a good review.

Well, if you do find someone willing to pay, tell them to find me. Go to the link above in Megnolia's reply to me at the top of this page - you'll find my excellent review of NCL. It was significantly better than our Carnival cruise.

Howard

woohoo, I went out to do some work in the yard (I'll go back later) and look at all the replies since! You guys are the best!

I have been picking my way through reviews over on the reviews pages, and I will check out all the links here.

The next challenge will be getting DH to come. He's a farmer, so it will be tricky, and may end up as a parents and grown daughters cruise.

I'll be off reading, but keep those great stories coming :)

Jim, I certainly intrigued by your MSC brief recap. I gathered that it might be a little out of my realm.. although I'm an Italian, so a little culture would be good for a brush up :)

I would be happy to discuss further with you. You would definitely get a recap in Italian!:) It was not bad, just not an American cruise line cruise. I felt kinda bad for the people at pursers desk (or their equivilent).

Make the Alaskan cruise happen, you won't be sorry. Absolutely love the Spirit as well. Alaska was absolutely wonderful to see, only second to the Grand Canyon. Do it!!!!! Be willing to give you some suggestions (good things and things to avoid as well) in regards to both.

Sorry I missed the rest of the replies here since I last checked. As usual, you're all fantastic with the info! I was searching for the thread to link for someone else who asked the same question today!

Meg

Thank you both!

I'm glad to hear about the naturalist on Carnival - how do they announce things, do they hold talks? Hang out in a particular area, or make announcements on the PA?

The round-trip itinerary is definitely a selling point for us. Should hopefully make airfare a little cheaper.

I cant say I remember a naturalist being on my two ncl alaska cruises....But I can say that any sort of animal sighting never went unannounced...it was pretty cool sometimes...but people went a little crazy crowding the rails to get a glimpse...especially the one time they announced a bear sighting...turns out, it was the captain pulling a prank....he snuck ashore while we were checking out the glaacier, and covered himself in something that apparently resembled a bear from a couple hundred yards....seems corny now...but at the time, it was awesome....everyone was commenting on how cool they thought the capt. was after that....

Definately suggest Princess for Alaska. Glacier Bay is a definate. I checked prices for next July On their round trip from Seattle and thought it was very reasonable. Seattle air is so much cheaper also. Would not do NCL even if someone else was paying. Have never had anyone go on them and come back with a good review.

I came back twice from ncl cruises with positive reviews...but that was before I sailed carnival and found out what I was missing....my ncl reviews have since driopped a couple stars......and the nightlife gets zero stars...

Is there any night life on the Alaska cruises? Everyone talks about the scenery and excursions, but what is there to do in the evenings?

I cant comment on carnival until next august...But I can say from two ncl cruises.....ncl nightlife in alaska is horrible....everyone was in bed by like 10 pm....ya, Ive heard all the excuses....we need our rest for the excursions....that really stinks for those of us who go on cruises...for the cruise...and everything that comes with it Onboard...im praying carnival is better.....

I agree with posts 14 and 17. I rate this as our #1 cruise so far. The ship and crew were great! It is the most relaxed cruise I've ever been on. I went to Michelle's (the naturalist) talks and they were very interesting. I didn't find the average age of the passengers to be much older than us --late 40's.

Is Glacier Bay a better trip? I note there is only one sailing, and it's a bit cheaper. It seems to me I've heard that Glacier Bay is the way to go, but I don't know much about Alaska. Any thoughts?

It is spectacular. What I cannot comment on is Tracy Arm and whether it meets the standards. Someone who has seen that needs to comment.

We're planning an Alaska cruise next summer with my parents (mid-50s). DH and I enjoy Carnival, but have only done Caribbean. My parents liked NCL for the freestyle dining, and have done Alaska with them once before.

Have you done Alaska with Carnival? What were the differences (on board) from a Caribbean cruise? I'm hoping for some more educational things, like an on-board naturalist.

Have you done Alaska on NCL? It seems to cost significantly more than Carnival, and I'm not sure I see it as a step up with their tiny rooms and all the pay restaurants.

That's kind of a vague question, eh? Just basically looking for your Alaska experiences, and wondering if you'd choose Carnival or NCL based on what you've tried in the past. The ships are the CCL Spirit and the NCL Pearl. Itineraries are identical.

Thanks!

My Husband & I, along with his brother & SIL, cruised Alaska on NCL Pearl in June of 07'. We have sailed Carnival & RC, but had never sailed on NCL and decided to give them a try. In all honesty, we loved the itinerary, the ship & the staff. We had a balcony cabin and there was plenty of room. We particularly liked the bathroom setup which had a shower with sliding door on one side, sink in the middle, and the toilet with a sliding door on the other side. There were not that many activities going on. As for the food, we thought it was okay. If I'm not mistaken, only 4 of the 12 restaurants/dining areas had an extra charge.......Cagney's Steak House was well worth it!

Karen

Is Glacier Bay a better trip? I note there is only one sailing, and it's a bit cheaper. It seems to me I've heard that Glacier Bay is the way to go, but I don't know much about Alaska. Any thoughts?

Absolutely make Glacier Bay a priority! I have been to Alaska 4 times, twice round trip, twice on the one-ways from Vancouver to Whittier (Anchorage). All of the cruises will include the same ports in Alaska, but what you have to look at are the sailing days. Glacier Bay - absolutely! College Fjord - 2nd on the list, followed by Tracey Arm Fjord (which sometimes you make it to the Glaciers, and sometimes you don't - even at the end of July). The calving (chunks of ice falling) that we saw in Glacier Bay and College Fjord were great and we have never experienced that in TAF.

Princess - our favorite, don't think that it is always priced higher . . . we went this July, booked an oceanview in April - price, including all tax $499 US. Now that being said, every year is different it really depends on how many are travelling. I hear the rooms are larger on Carnival (which I will get to find out in another month :D), but I understand that the service and the food are comparable - all a matter of opinion. They always have a naturalist on board doing presentations, as well as outside commentary.

This year when we went it was 80 above and sunny. Picture this . . . sailing through a narrow pathway, the mountains on both sides, some laying by the pool soaking up the sun with not a cloud in the sky and others laying on a lounger, watching for whales, as they sip the free hot cocoa. Forgot - on our first Alaskan cruise (end of July) it rained the entire time but it was still so memorable that we have gone back 3 times since then. Just means a few more layers and a little more hot chocolate (maybe with some Bailey's in it :D)

• 1 month later...
We're planning an Alaska cruise next summer with my parents (mid-50s). DH and I enjoy Carnival, but have only done Caribbean. My parents liked NCL for the freestyle dining, and have done Alaska with them once before.

Have you done Alaska with Carnival? What were the differences (on board) from a Caribbean cruise? I'm hoping for some more educational things, like an on-board naturalist.

Have you done Alaska on NCL? It seems to cost significantly more than Carnival, and I'm not sure I see it as a step up with their tiny rooms and all the pay restaurants.

That's kind of a vague question, eh? Just basically looking for your Alaska experiences, and wondering if you'd choose Carnival or NCL based on what you've tried in the past. The ships are the CCL Spirit and the NCL Pearl. Itineraries are identical.

Thanks!

Hi, Megnolia! We will be sailing on the Carnival Spirit out of Alaska June 2010. It will be our 6th Carnival cruise. We tried Royal Caribbean this year and I had no complaints. However, we are trying to reach the platinum status with Carnival so we will continue with them.

I have always enjoyed the food, staff and activities with Carnival. I can not really remember a bad experience.

Here's another vote for trying to find an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay. We sailed the Spirit (Seward to Vancouver) in August of 2004. It was an amazing experience, and one that I hope to replicate someday.

I was disappointed to hear that Carnival has altered the itinerary, because although Seattle would be infinitely more convenient (plus I have oodles of Delta Skymiles, and Seattle's a hub), missing Glacier Bay would be a huge disappointment.

My Caribbean experience with NCL was not a good one. We had one of the most beautiful penthouse suites that you can imagine, but even our butler couldn't make up for the yuckky food. Freestyle dining is great...except that they offer very little that you'll want to eat. Unless there's an intinerary at a price that I can't refuse, I won't be sailing with them again.

That said, I would highly recommend any cruise to Alaska for the scenery alone. You'll barely notice anything else.

I am a die hard Carnival cruiser and I sailed Glacier Bay with Carnival in May of 2009 with my mom and it was the most amazing cruise ever.

Alaska is a very different type cruise from the Caribbean. It is all about the scenery and not the partying.

I can not wait to return to Alaska.

If you do a web search on of my fellow CC cruisers did an awesome review with pictures that he posted on the Carnival web site, his screen name is Darth Grady.

We cruised the first cruise into Alaska in May 2009 and the weather was wonderful, it was great seeing lots of snow in the mountains and the wildlife is awe inspiring. Next cruise I want to go in the summer months to see the salmon and the other wildlife that we were too early for.

My vote is for Alaska on Carnival for the price, the experience and the food was very good as well.

There is a link in my signature to view my pictures (400) of our Alaskan cruise.

Susan

Archived