Curious questions about Cunard

MsSailaway

I am considering a Cunard cruise and have a few questions.

1. What are the gratuities on Cunard ships?

2. Do they have hosts on board just in case a solo traveler wishes to dance?

3. Would a solo traveler stick out like a sore thumb?

Thanks!

1. The "auto tip" added to your bill (unless you specifically decline this option) is $11 pp/day (Grills, $13 pp/day). Plus 15% is added to the cost of every beer, cocktail, liqueur, and bottle of wine; and that you may not decline. Canyon Ranch says that their charges include a tip. Whether you tip anyone additionally is entirely up to you.

2. Yes, there are "Gentlemen Hosts" to dance with the ladies. (There are no "Lady Hostesses".)

3. Not at all, according to the testimony of solo travelers here and on other boards.

Bon Voyage! Bet you love QM2.

The gratuities are the same as other large lines approx $10.50 PP a day depending on cabin grade

The exception is the full World Cruise where often the gratuities are included in the fare

They definitely have quite a few hosts to dance with single ladies

and no you will not stick out like a sore thumb

we did the LA to Sydney sector of 2009 World Cruise and there were many singles on board

If you have a hobby like sewing or emnbroidery etc you should find that an unhosted group will get together at some point

Cunard are one of the best for solo travellers. There is a get-together the first day where you meet the social hostess and other solo travellers. There is then an unhosted meet every sea day if you wish to go...or not.... whichever. There are hosts to dance with you (although their dancing skills on my last voyage were poor!) There was also a solos lunch in the dining room. Enjoy. I love it.

All 16 of my Cunard voyages have been as a single traveller and there are many others on board! Some join forces and others stay solo - whatever you prefer. More so than on other ships, I find it's very easy to strike up a conversation with other passengers, whether in one of the lounges, on deck, etc.

And yes, there are gentleman dance hosts - currently, only 4 per voyage (more for the world cruise). While their dancing skills vary tremendously, they're all willing to sit out a dance or two or three and chat.

I sailed as a solo and it was great. I was seated at a table with 3 other solos--the only time that has happened on any cruise I've been on--which makes me think that Cunard goes out of its way to accommodate its solo cruisers.

We did a section of the world cruise earlier this year and we noticed in the daily porogramme there was a meeting point for solo guests so they could get to gether and go ashore with each other Having been on the ship as a couple I would have no hesitation at travelling alone We had ladies at our table on 2 sections who where travelling alone and they seemed to be having a great time

I sailed as a solo and it was great. I was seated at a table with 3 other solos--the only time that has happened on any cruise I've been on--which makes me think that Cunard goes out of its way to accommodate its solo cruisers.

For anyone else considering travelling alone P&O always does that as well!

Archived