State Certified Birth Certificate?? Closed Loop Cruise

Jaymee287

I have been told 2 different things. First of all that I need a passport we are traveling from Tampa Florida to the Western Caribbean and then returning to Tampa.

I understand this to be a closed loop cruise!?!

But I have also been told that a state certified copy of our birth certificates will work just fine along with our drivers license for a photo i.d?

Can we get by with a certified b.c copy? We really don't want to spend the money on passports as I was told by a Carnival Booking Agent that the birth certificate and drivers license would be just fine.

Has anyone had any problems with this?

ManyMore is correct, ...unless...the ship for some unknown reason would have to return to a different port. For instance, problems in the gulf make it impossible for your ship to return to Tampa so they take you to Miami and bus you over to Tampa. Passport would be needed. Or, someone becomes ill and you must fly back, no go without the passport. Yes, you are out $100 or so per person but for safety reasons you may want to rethink it especially if you are planning on cruising again. Passport requirements could change at any time.

Just got off Destiny 8/11 and we only had BC and IDs. Custom agent didn't even look at our BC. DH and I ordered new BC because ours didn't have the raised seal even though they said they were certified, we wanted to be safe instead of sorry. DD just turned 16 a week before and had to get an ID from DMV because PA permits don't have pics. Custom agent never even asked for her ID or our BCs. So were ended up spending over $50 to be safe.

IF the ship had to return to a different port than Tampa, it would be an exception diversion. They would not require everyone with BCs to wait on the ship until they get a passport....it is enough that the planned, advertised, and originally intended port was a round-trip to and from Tampa.

Getting a passport is a smart idea if you have future travel plans. If you truly think you will not be doing any more out of country travel I can understand not wanting to spend the extra money.

My daughter is getting married on a cruise next year. Some of the family members who are traveling with us will never travel out of the US again in their lifetime. I am very happy that they are not required to get a passport.

When I traveled to Europe in 2003 with my high school we went for 2 weeks obviously a passport was needed. Mine has since expired :( I'm thining of getting one just for safety reasons and I will leave it up to the other 2 as their own decision I LOVE to travel don't get to very often but I love it. How long are passports good for after you get one I think the laws have changed since I was last issued one? I went throught the school and they set everything up so I have no clue how to even go about applying for one.

HELP PLEASE?!?

Closed loop cruises do not need a passport...look at www.travel.state.gov to look at what the US gov't requires to see for yourself. These message boards are fun obviously, but you are looking for a fact. If you don't have a trusted travel agent or can't do the research yourself, you run the risk of missing your cruise. You are responsible for your boarding docs. Have a great cruise!

Edit to add, I've had a passport since I was was 6, I would never leave this country without it. I got nervous without it when I went on a domestic flight!

When I traveled to Europe in 2003 with my high school we went for 2 weeks obviously a passport was needed. Mine has since expired :( I'm thining of getting one just for safety reasons and I will leave it up to the other 2 as their own decision I LOVE to travel don't get to very often but I love it. How long are passports good for after you get one I think the laws have changed since I was last issued one? I went throught the school and they set everything up so I have no clue how to even go about applying for one.

HELP PLEASE?!?

10 years

You can download a passport application or just go to your local post office.

My daughter and her boyfriend booked a cruise in February. She has a passport & he doesn't. Carnival's PVP said a birth certificate was fine, but, she has encouraged him to apply for a passport just in case there was an emergency of some sort.

Karen

Archived