Cruising on a budget!

jsher

Welcome!!!

My mom and I just did our 1st cruise on the Adventure in October. We planned on spending more than we did.....our seapass total was about $300 (we did the auto tips which was about half of that amount)

We only did 1 ship excursion, a tour in St. Maarten as I recall. Basically we just walked around. We got a tour on teh pier in Curacao for a lot less than the ship charges. You will probably be able to do something like that.

Photos are expensive but since it is you honeymoon, get a LOT of them taken then choose a couple to buy. (There is no obligation to purchase or even get the photos taken, but as we discovered, they do a nice job and the more you have to pick from the better. We bought our emabrkation photo and I think 3 others.)

Drinks are really not much more than they cost in any big city, resort or hotel. Just get it in a regular glass and don't bother with the souvenier cups (unless you really want them).

I agree with the other posters that $100 per day per person is a good guide, but you may not spend that much. Use a credit card then pay in cash as the cruise ends.

Don't use the ATM on board unless necessary. It is about 6 bucks in service charges. I used ones in port and they were free or only 1 dollar. (My bank does not charge me either.)

In one of the ports I got a few sodas and water for the cabin. I carried on 1 bottle of champagne as it was our first cruise!

The soda card seemed OK but you have to drink a lot of soda to make it worthwhile! (Just mho......i thought the iced tea was fine!)

We did give our cabin attendant $20 and a phone card the first day....I think it's a good idea.!!! she loved it!!

have a blast!! and don't call yourself a lower class cruiser!!!!!

If you are going to Cozumel...(do we know you are going to Coz?), I certainly suggest Paradise Beach as a low cost option.

We had a $250 shipboard credit on our 7 nt cruise and only spent $150 of it. We, also, don't drink or gamble. We brought some soda (pop?) onboard and only drank two of them. I had one virgin Mango-Tango one night with dinner. We bought two pictures. Other than tips, you really can get by with spending very little over and above your cruise price. Good luck!!

Photos are expensive but since it is you honeymoon, get a LOT of them taken then choose a couple to buy. (There is no obligation to purchase or even get the photos taken, but as we discovered, they do a nice job and the more you have to pick from the better. We bought our emabrkation photo and I think 3 others.)

An easy way to avoid spending too much on pictures is to look at the pictures every night when they are displayed, but wait until the last night to actually purchase them. I used to see a photo I liked, and purchase it immediately. At the end of the cruise I would have more photos than I really needed and I spent WAY too much money. It took me many cruises to figure out its best to wait until the last night, gather up all the photos and choose one or two from the bunch. I mean...comeon...how many formal pictures do I really need?? :)

Archived