Those with a first time cruise coming up..

rjan67

My first cruise is in March and I have been reading these boards since last April and I still feel overwhelmed with all the information that I have read. What is the best tip you have received so far? I would say booking my cruise and park now (at the Radisson) and getting the earliest (around 1130) shuttle times to port is a great tip. I'm still confused as to what happens when I get to the ship? Check my luggage, show my passport, know when my room is ready? I understand once I'm on the ship you can go to the pool and start vacationing. Just bring a carry on with a few things (bathing suit etc). Do I need to have money on my S&S before that so that I can buy a drink? Do I do that now...or before March? I know you can also do it on the ship but in order to start using it right away, would I need to do this? I have so many questions and I try to right them down and search them as I have time. I also have a list on my computer I update with tips I will use, once I have an answer. Crazy but it helps me remember! ;)

If your cruise is like my cruise, you show up, give your luggage to a porter with a tip and then wait. Then they put you in another section and you wait. When your section is called, you head up to a line of desks, where they take your photo and your credit card and set up your boarding pass/card before you even board the ship. Then you shuffle along the winding covered gangway onto the ship. There are people everywhere!

We then headed down to a dining room for lunch, which was thankfully quite empty, because the crush of people was a bit disconcerting.

They will announce when the cabins are ready. I think there is usually an area where you can dump your carry-on, but we didn't bother. Your luggage may or may not be waiting for you outside your door. Ours didn't show up for several hours. (We arrived FAR too early, so ours was the first luggage packed and therefore, the final luggage unpacked)

We wandered about the ship after lunch to get acclimatised, then watched our departure from a top deck. (Also a bit noisy and crowded...we discovered quite quickly that we are promenade people) After leaving port, you unpack if your luggage is there, read your newsletter, get ready for dinner and you've started cruising!

If you are a coffee drinker, bring a travel mug!

My first cruise is in March and I have been reading these boards since last April and I still feel overwhelmed with all the information that I have read. What is the best tip you have received so far? I would say booking my cruise and park now (at the Radisson) and getting the earliest (around 1130) shuttle times to port is a great tip. I'm still confused as to what happens when I get to the ship? Check my luggage, show my passport, know when my room is ready? I understand once I'm on the ship you can go to the pool and start vacationing. Just bring a carry on with a few things (bathing suit etc). Do I need to have money on my S&S before that so that I can buy a drink? Do I do that now...or before March? I know you can also do it on the ship but in order to start using it right away, would I need to do this? I have so many questions and I try to right them down and search them as I have time. I also have a list on my computer I update with tips I will use, once I have an answer. Crazy but it helps me remember! ;)

First of all, don't over think it. CCL staff will walk you through everything. When you get to the port they will take your luggage. You'll go through security into the terminal and register (like at a hotel) and then they will tell you when you can board.

If you want to swim right away keep a bathing suit on under your clothes because you won't get your luggage for a few hours.

You won't need cash. They don't take it anyway, you use your sign and sail card for everything. Once you board they will direct you to the buffet lunch. Then grab a lounge chair and a drink and enjoy. Your room is usually ready after lunch.

Do I need to have money on my S&S before that so that I can buy a drink? Do I do that now...or before March? I know you can also do it on the ship but in order to start using it right away, would I need to do this? ;)

I set up my sail and sign account ahead of time as part of my "Fun Pass". You will still need to "show" that credit card to the Carnival employee when you check in. Just show your sail and sign card to the server/bartender and sign the receipt. Viola...drink of the day!!!

Once you check-in, you can start charging immediately!

I wear my bathing suit (under clothes!) onto the ship, so if the cabin isn't ready, I don't have to change in a public bathroom. Just slip off my dress/shorts/ whatever, and start sunning!

Cabins should be ready by 1pm or so...just go and look!

Go to Carnival.com and if you haven't done so, register. Once that is done, fill out your Funpass online. Once you have provided your credit/debit card information, you simply present the card at the pier check in, and you are set. Boarding usually begins around 11:30, but it may well be 1:30 before your cabin is ready. Get some lunch on Lido Deck, enjoy a cocktail and explore the ship. I like to go to the main dining room and check out my table assignment and review the menu for the first evening (posted outside the dining room).

Sounds like you are driving to port so no airline hassles. Each port is a little different. Without knowing what port you are sailing from, I'll tell you how San Diego handles it. Once the hotel shuttle drops you off at the pier, you present your passport & fun pass so security knows you are authorized beyond the gate. You give your luggage to the porters with a tip if you are checking bags. You sit in one area until they begin check in process. They announce to proceed thru the gates so you go thru the x-ray scanners. There will be security in line before the x-rays to look at your fun pass & passports again so always have them handy. You show them a few times in the process. After you go thru x-ray, you proceed to the check in counter lines. There you show your fun pass, passport and credit card for your sail & sign or cash deposit if you choose to pay cash. They give you a sail & sign card that looks like a credit card which also is your room key. They also give you a boarding number. You sit & wait until they call your boarding number. They take a boarding photo of you 2 times. Once for the embarkation photo which is on display for purchase at the photo area onboard and another for your mugshot on the sail & sign card so they can verify it is you getting on & off the ship at ports. You have to have this card with you when you get on & off the ship and anytime you make a purchase onboard (gift shop, specialty coffee, cocktails etc). Once onboard, rooms are usually ready at 1:30 so if it is before that, go to the lido and find a seat, get some food, enjoy the entertainment at lido deck, have a drink of the day (the first day DOD is the best - Fun Ship Special=YUMMY!) Start to party & enjoy your vacation.

Don't over think stuff and relax! Carnival is really good at making the first cruise experience "painless"

All the detail stuff takes place before you board! Once onboard, as a newbie, I would urge you to meander the ship, get to know your vacation home! Smile....alot! Anyone with a unifrom on can help with directions, etc!!!!

After your first day onboard, you will look back and tell yourself "Wow!, that was easy!"

The one thing first time cruisers often aren't told is about the end of the cruise.

On your last night, you will be expected to pack and place your luggage outside of your cabin before midnight. Make sure you have a carry-on or something for your valuables, drug items, and shower kit.

You will next see your luggage in the customs hall after you have left the ship.

Mike in Ohio

The one thing first time cruisers often aren't told is about the end of the cruise.

On your last night, you will be expected to pack and place your luggage outside of your cabin before midnight. Make sure you have a carry-on or something for your valuables, drug items, and shower kit.

You will next see your luggage in the customs hall after you have left the ship.

Mike in Ohio

It's not uncommon for people to walk off the ship in their pajamas or a bathrobe borrowed from (or bought from) Carnival. Remember to keep out the next day's clothes from your suitcase!

My best advice is LUGGAGE EXPRESS and SUPPER CLUB!!!!

Luggage express occurs when you debark. You can pay carnival ($15 I think but who cares how much it is soo worth it) to take your luggage to the airport. So you never see it again until you get home... Freaking awesome hahha.

Def do the Supper Club if they have one. An awesome experience...

My first Carnival Cruise was last fall, and as everyone else has said, don't sweat it. You arrive, and are told to go in one line to verify your identity and get your sail and sign card, and then you are sent over to get you picture taken, and then you board the ship.

It's a buffet, but don't over eat, and check it all out before you get in line. Sit down and relax, you won't be able to get to your room yet. I enjoyed the director's talks both about the excursions and the "how to disembark". Just because this is not a BIG activity, like the hairy chest competition, the activities are fun and informative. so take a break from the bustle, and attend. You learn as you go, so I really am going to pay attention on my next cruise. Have fun and Happy Sailing!

I'd like to add something that has not been mentioned. Each ship has a little pocket map that you NEED to have with you for the first couple of days on the ship. Sometimes, they will hand you one of these little maps as you board. If not, you can pick one up at the purser's desk or shore excursion desk. You don't have to get in line, just walk up there and take one. They'll be out on the counter. Trust me, you can get lost on these big ships, and having this map handy will save you a lot of time and extra steps. ;)

If you're wondering about something on the ship, ASK! Crew members are easy to spot, and if one can't help you, he or she will direct you to another one who can.

When you board the ship, you can go directly to Lido deck to the buffet or fish & chips place (if they have a fish & chips place) to eat lunch. Or grab a slice of that delicious pizza or a hamburger or, well, there are a lot of food choices! So don't waste your money eating lunch before you board.

Go to the shows in the show lounge. Most of them are great!

Take comfortable walking shoes. You will do a lot of walking during your cruise!

Have several photos taken on formal nights. Try the different back drops. You aren't obligated to buy them, but you might think they are the best pics you've ever had taken! (We do!)

ENJOY!!!!!

PS - I agree with Marshhawk that you should watch the travel talk and other talks. However, these talks will be shown on your TV several times, so you CAN watch it in your room if you don't make the actual talk.

Archived