Has anyone cruised the Caribbean in early Oct?

cmlmich

We cruised on DCL in Oct. 6, 2006 Western Caribbean 7-day cruise and had a ball. We never had any trouble with the weather until we came back to port, embarkation day was a nightmare, it was pouring! But as far as the cruise not one day we encounter rain on route or at any of the ports. As far as I can see from the forecasts, this will be a mild season, I hope they are right. We are sailing on 8/30 to 9/3. Hoping you have a wonderful trip. :D

the weather is really nice. by late september / early october, the sweltering HOT temperatures have pretty much subsided. it'll still be warm, mind you, just not super HOT like it is in the summer.

officially, hurricane season runs the full 6 months from june 1 through november 30. so really - that's half the year! the months of august - october are typically the most active, but hurricanes and other disturbances have and can occur outside of the 6 month period, too...

i wouldn't be overly concerned, just go in to it realizing that things could change... but putting it into perspective, the same is true of any other time of the year. remember swine flu? or civil unrest in the islands? lots of things can re-route your cruise.

if you decide to cruise during hurricane season, don't be overly worried, and you'll also be benefit of some of the lowest costs during the course of the year :)

We have sailed several times in October (Fall Break at school) and found the weather fantastic, and alot cooler in the islands. We have also dodged 3 different hurricanes as well.

IF a hurricane or tropical storm lies in the path of your itenerary, the ship will steer around it, or take you to a different port of call (strictly for your safety). You'd be surprised how many people go ape-s**t over an itenerary change to keep from heading into the eye of the storm! I'd much rather be safe and still cruise than to be clinging to a lifeboat (or worse)!

Very seldom is a cruise canceled due to Mother Nature, unless of course the port take a direct hit.

And, yes....we are sailing aboard the Fascination on October 3rd!

:cool:Bill (this is my 600th posting!)

My first cruise was 10/29 - 11/5/83 -- Eastern Caribbean -- some rough seas, but not a problem with weather (Although we didn't miss any ports on our schedule, we found out later that we took a different route away from Grenada -- remember Grenada in 1983?)

Second cruise was 9/29 - 10/5/84 -- Western Caribbean -- rough seas at times, but not bad and very sunny

(One time we were in the pool, the water was sloshing back and forth from shallow to deep end. We were in the pool at the time and had some good pictures of me standing up in the deep end ... I am 5' 2".)

Third cruise was 10/5 - 10/12/85 -- BERMUDA -- NY departure was rough at times, but

friend took motion sickness pills and survived ok

Fourth cruise 10/8 - 10/15/89 -- Western Caribbean -- don't remember any rough seas at all

Fifth cruise early October 1997 -- Southern Caribbean -- beautiful week and no rough seas or weather problems

I don't remember rain during any of these trips.

We've sailed twice the second week of October without any problems. However we did sail last year aug 30th with hurricaine gustov and had some pretty rough seas. There was no way around it so the boat just stayed 10 miles offshore until it passed us. The first few days were rough but after it passed it was beautiful.

Last year's Glory cruise was the second week of October. Overall, our weather was fine...not too hot. We did have clouds/rain at our second port of St. Thomas because the next day, a hurricane was moving in. That led to cancellation of St. Maarten which is the one port I really wanted to see. But, we did luck out and they were able to replace it with Grand Turk...which I absolutely LOVED!

Like PP mentioned, anything can result in a port cancellation. Thanks to the swine flu debacle, our entire Mexico cruise was canceled and we ended up with San Francisco.

I am just wondering what the climate is like then and if it is still Hurricane season then? I am not sure if I want to sail during Hurricane season or not and if there is anything to worry about if we do.

do a google search and read about hurricane wilma that destroyed mexico in october 2005. we watched it all on the weather channel today. we also saw the mess wilma left in cozumel when we went 3 months after the hurricane hit. hurricane season actually ends november 30th.

We have sailed in mid oct in 2005. We had a GREAT time some of the best

weather. We use to have a full fall break with DS and DD school. But since

2005 they have shorten in one day each year so its now only 2 days. So no

more fall cruises :(

We got a hurricane special on our cruse on the Conquest after Katrina. We came in just 7 days before Rita hit Texas. So we were fortune to miss

several storms. But its rare you will have a storm issue. If storms are an issue

they change your ports.

Given the chance I would sail again....

Hurricane season is from June 1 - November 30 each year. My wife and I have done all of our cruises that time of year. The earliest we that sailed was the 13th of October. The weather is great in Florida and the Caribbean that time of year. We have been luck, the only time we were worried about a storm was in 2005. We sailed out of Miami on Sunday afternoon and Hurricane Wilma hit Naples on Monday night. October is our anniversary so that is when we like to cruise. Most kids are back in school and we always have a great time sailing in the fall.

Archived