safety in mexican riviera

tazdeb

We were there in March. We stopped in Huatulco, Cabo and Acapulco. No worries! If you have never been to Mexico you are in for a treat. We love it there. The people are very friendly and the ports are safe. They rely on the tourist dollars so no problems. You may be suprised to see military with machine guns though, since it is not what we are used to seeing. I guess it's kind of like an uber police force. ;)

As long as you use common sense and keep aware of your surroundings just like anywhere else you would go you will be fine.

We were there last winter and hope to go back and cruise again next winter.

We never had any problems, but like anywhere in the world, use you common sense.

Places like P. vallarta, Cabo, Mazatlan etc. have thousands and thousands of tourists who all have a great time. Many people work for the tourists and are friendly and helpful.

The real problems in Mexico are more or less around the borders, which is over 1000 miles away...

I can attest that Puerto Vallarta is far safer than any US city I know of that is the same size. I have lived here for almost eight years and I am 5 feet tall, 108 pounds soaking wet and have never once had an issue.

As mentioned, it is a tourist destination and pretty laid back by all accounts and the areas where there are issues are not even near here.

I also want to mention I am a military brat from the US and it is common to see military driving around with their guns showing. Puerto Vallarta is a port city and we have an active Navy base and an active ARMY base, so that is why you see military here, same as you would if you were in the US near a Navy or Army base.

I would echo the prior post. We spend two months every winter in Puerto Vallarta and have no safety concerns other than getting hit by a car while crossing the street. In PV, we have no problem walking late at night (or any other time).

Hank

I travel alot for work and pleasure both in Canada and the States, personally I have always felt safer in PV then I do many cities up here. As soon as I retire...boom I am down there!!

I know people talk about the drugs in Mexico but I get more people trying to sell me drugs in downtown Victoria BC then I have ever had in PV.

The buses is PV can be scary......I am an idiot when it comes to crossing the street and many a time my husband or whoever I am with, will yank me back out of harms way....

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with all previous posts about PV. For a change, Cabo is more americanized than other ports, only hazard there are the time share sales people that can be very persistent. Mazatlan another favorite has more old world charm in the older section of downtown. Try Stone island in Mazatlan for a beach day. Favorites? Manzanillo safest place I have ever visited and Ixtapa/Zihuateneo sp?

Archived