S. Queensferry to St. Andrews golf transfer

banditoo

My husband and a friend have an afternoon round booked at St. Andrews on August 21 when we are in port at S. Queensferry/Edinburgh. Can anyone recommend the best method of transfer there and back? It looks like car rental agencies all close at 6pm which is too early for them to be back and return the car. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The people in the next cabin to us went by train, as we moored right under the famous bridge. They didn't like the course, as it didn't come up to Florida standards in some way!

I'm sure someone will tell you the connections.-jocap.

The people in the next cabin to us went by train, as we moored right under the famous bridge. They didn't like the course, as it didn't come up to Florida standards in some way!

I'm sure someone will tell you the connections.-jocap.

Thanks I'll see if I can find more about the train connections.

Your husband can get a train from Dalmeny (station at South Queensferry) to Leuchars, but you have to change at Inverkeithing. It is a journey of 1 hour.

There are plenty of taxis at the station to take you to St Andrews (about 15 minutes away)

I am not sure the cost of a taxi but I would guess £12-15.

look at http://www.thetrainline.co.uk

In terms of golf courses at St Andrews, yes they are different from Florida, but remember, this is where the game was born.

I hope your husband has booked tee-off times because, for example the Old Course is booked a year in advance

Your husband can get a train from Dalmeny (station at South Queensferry) to Leuchars, but you have to change at Inverkeithing. It is a journey of 1 hour.

There are plenty of taxis at the station to take you to St Andrews (about 15 minutes away)

I am not sure the cost of a taxi but I would guess £12-15.

look at www.thetrainline.co.uk

In terms of golf courses at St Andrews, yes they are different from Florida, but remember, this is where the game was born.

I hope your husband has booked tee-off times because, for example the Old Course is booked a year in advance

Thanks Scottie. That is very helpful. I'll check out the website. Yes, they have a time; I believe it is on the newer course though. He is happy to go just for the experience regardless of the condition of the course.

The guys ended up catching a ride there with another couple and then took the train back. They actually took a local bus from St. Andrew's to the train station then caught the train from Leuchars to Inverkeithing and Dalmeny without problem. Went smoothly and they loved the golf. Even had a day without rain! Thanks for all the help on the train connections!

• 2 years later...

Archived