Katakolon to Olympia

Bohemian

We are going to be there on a Monday and I just found out that the museum doesn't even open on Mondays until noon, so we won't be able to see it :(

If the museum is closed, does that mean viewing the ruins is off limits too? I'm getting discouraged now. I really wanted to see Olympia. From what I have read there really isn't much in Katakolon to see.

We are going to be there on a Monday and I just found out that the museum doesn't even open on Mondays until noon, so we won't be able to see it :(

If the museum is closed, does that mean viewing the ruins is off limits too? I'm getting discouraged now. I really wanted to see Olympia. From what I have read there really isn't much in Katakolon to see.

You have incorrrect information. The museum is open daily from 8:30 until 20:00 from April 10, 2009 to October 31, 2009, its "summer" hours. Just check the official Hellenic Ministry of Culture website at oddyseus.culture.gr, easy to google.

I got the following info from 2 sites:

tour-greece dot gr - Museum: Summer, daily 8 am (Mondays, 12 Noon) to 7pm.

greece-museums dot com - Summer Opening Hours: From 15 of June until 31 October 2004

Monday: 12.00-19.00

Tuesday-Sunday: 08.00-19.00

I'm also a little unclear.....

I have seen many places (and at least one or two posts here) where the opening time of the museum was posted as later on Mondays..... We will also be there on a Monday next June but we have a longer port visit so it's not so much of an issue.

Pam, some tripadvisor Greek members were ranting about the site you gave as not being that great (also looks like it hasn't been updated recently)? Here's another site that was highly recommended:

http://www.athensinfoguide.com/open.htm

As you can see, they list the hours as open daily from 8:00 am to 7:30 pm. No Monday closing noted.

Cruisemom,

The Katakolon-greece dot com website also lists the Olympia museum hours:

Days of free admission for all visitors:

Sundays in the period between 1 November and 31 March

the first Sunday of every month, except for July, August and September (when the first Sunday is holiday, then the second is the free admission day, etc.)

national holidays

- 6 March (in memory of Melina Mercouri)

-18 April (International Monuments Day)

-18 May (International Museums Day)

- 5 June (International Environment Day)

- the last weekend of September every year (European Heritage Days)

Operation Hours:

Summer Opening Hours: From 15 of June until 31 October 2007

Holidays: 15 August, 28 October: 08.00-19.00

Cruisemom,

The Katakolon-greece dot com website also lists the Olympia museum hours:

Days of free admission for all visitors:

Sundays in the period between 1 November and 31 March

the first Sunday of every month, except for July, August and September (when the first Sunday is holiday, then the second is the free admission day, etc.)

national holidays

- 6 March (in memory of Melina Mercouri)

-18 April (International Monuments Day)

-18 May (International Museums Day)

- 5 June (International Environment Day)

- the last weekend of September every year (European Heritage Days)

Operation Hours:

Summer Opening Hours: From 15 of June until 31 October 2007

Holidays: 15 August, 28 October: 08.00-19.00

Tamsam07, I assume that you noticed that in your last two posts, you first are citing 2004 opening hours and now 2007 opening hours. The site I gave you is the official Greek government site, and is posting 2009 hours.

However, I am stumped by all the inconsistent information regarding Mondays, so I will post on the Olympia forum of tripadvisor to see if I can get an answer from a local DE (Destination Expert).

I do have a recent Athens guidebook from my June visit, but the book I purchased about Olympia during our visit last September does not list hours of operation, nor does the brochure (with room exhibits plan) that we were given upon admission.

Tamsam07 and Cynthia,

My Athens DE confirmed that from April 10 through October 31 this year, the Olympia museum and archaelogical site is open every day all day, as per the website I cited in my post yesterday evening. (Just look at the thread I started on the Athens forum of tripadvisor because the Olympia forum is pretty inactive, with posts mostly from those active on the Athens forum.)

Tamsam, are you going in the winter season? If so, my Athens DE friend says that many sites are closed all day Monday, and at 15:30PM other days. She volunteered to call and confirm the winter hours of operation for you if you are travelling between November and March.

Cordially,

Pam

I first noticed the Monday scheduling on MSC's excursions and that's why I went on a search for the hours of operation. Here is what MSC has noted.

The tour also includes a visit the the Archaeological Museum. Note : This excursion is not foreseen for calls falling on Monday morning as the Archaelogical Museum is closed.

I don't understand why the information hasn't been updated on the sites I checked because they are pretty popular sites for tourist info.

I did go to the site you gave me but I never found the info for the Olympia museum, and now the site won't come up for me.

It doesn't mention Mondays, so it must be something they have recently changed. Even Frommers 2008 edition lists Mondays schedule as noon-7.

This is good news! Yay!

I assume this means that you are traveling in the "summer" season?

Cynthia absolutely is correct that the hours for Greek government-run cultural/archeological sites are very quirky and do change year to year. For some reason, 2009 hours were longer at many antiquities sites (we were in Greece in both 2008 and 2009), so it is always good to check again in the spring.

Do allot enough time for the museum, which is well organized and has some unique objects, and I found helpful in our self-touring of the actual site itself. It also has very good a/c, which I truly appreciate in tourist-season Greece!

Yes, we will be there Monday, the 28th September. We leave for Venice tomorrow. We are renting a car to drive to Olympia and had planned to see both the ruins and the museum. Thanks for the info again Cynthia. I will let you know how it was. ;)

tamsam07 (and Cynthia),

I hope you have a chance to read this post, but after much debate on tripadvisor between two frequent posters from Athens, and calls made to several authorities, it turns out that although the site itself is open all day on Mondays, the wonderful museum which adds so much to your visit indeed has a late opening that day due to staffing issues.

And the official Greek government website is absolutely wrong.:mad:

I was told that one gets used to these type of issues and errors when dealing with the Greek government, and be flexible, but no amount of such language changes the reality that I have steered you wrong with my original answer and then expert confirmation.

I truly apologize. My only consolation is that the the entire point of a cruise ship stop in Katakolon is a visit to Olympia, and that you conclude that a visit to the site itself still is worthwhile.

Yours in travel friendship,

Pam

Hey CintiPam I have been reading Cruise Critic for the last couple of weeks and would like to ask some questions. You seem to have a wealth of imformation. How can I contact you outside/through Cruise Critic.

Willy

Hi, Willy, my email address is listed at the top of my first cruise review, found at:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=48450.

Of course, after the havoc I have caused with my expertise for my past few posts on this thread, I am somewhat amazed that you would still be interested in my views!:)

tamsam07 (and Cynthia),

I hope you have a chance to read this post, but after much debate on tripadvisor between two frequent posters from Athens, and calls made to several authorities, it turns out that although the site itself is open all day on Mondays, the wonderful museum which adds so much to your visit indeed has a late opening that day due to staffing issues.

And the official Greek government website is absolutely wrong.:mad:

I was told that one gets used to these type of issues and errors when dealing with the Greek government, and be flexible, but no amount of such language changes the reality that I have steered you wrong with my original answer and then expert confirmation.

I truly apologize. My only consolation is that the the entire point of a cruise ship stop in Katakolon is a visit to Olympia, and that you conclude that a visit to the site itself still is worthwhile.

Pam

Not to worry, I've learned through trial and error to keep seeking confirmation if the sources don't agree! (And if they do, things can still change.....)

Even Rick Steves has been known to get one wrong once in a while!! :D

tamsam07 (and Cynthia),

And the official Greek government website is absolutely wrong.

Pam

Well, all might not be totally lost. If the site itself is open as usual on Monday, I'd just visit the site at 10 am or so and then hit the museum right as it opens at noon. Maybe it will open early, who knows? This allows perhaps 15-20 minutes in the museum before rushing back to Katakolo. I know this is pushing it but alot depends on her risk tolerance! :)

CintiPam,

We will be there Monday, Nov 2 which appears to be winter season. Does this mean the Museum will be opening later, or closed all day?

Thanks for your help and knowledge, we always appreciate your posts.

CintiPam,

We will be there Monday, Nov 2 which appears to be winter season. Does this mean the Museum will be opening later, or closed all day?

What cruise are you on? By any chance the Grand Princess? Have you joined our roll call?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=859727&referrerid=4253

Dee

What I found interesting inside the museum was that you can take all the pictures of the artifacts you want but as soon as you have someone posing for a picture with an artifact, the employees are all over you like angry hornets.

Anyway, I started this topic asking for the best way to get from the port to Olympia and thanks to some recommendations, we ended up renting a car. I booked it two weeks in advance with a simple email and the car was waiting for us when we arrived. We paid $45 for the rental and 10 Euros for gas. IMO it turned out to be the best way for us to do this DIY excursion. We had a great day and I would recommend renting a car at this port to anybody looking for a relaxing way to visit Olympia. We used Katakolo Rent a Car. Their shop is across the street from the port's entrance.

CintiPam,

That's a good question, but I do not know the answer, primarily because this year's winter hours are not posted yet, and the elections which just occurred in Greece this past weekend, which means anything posted can be changed!!

Last year, it was open 10:30 AM to 5 PM in the winter, but it also could be closed all day Monday this winter.

Sorry that I do not know more, but I have posted your question on the Athens forum of tripadvisor and will report the answer I receive there.

Hello all,

We had a wonderful time in Katakolon. We did get to visit the ruins, and the museum was indeed closed.....or at least not open until noon. But we had a great time regardless. We ended up going to a restaurant on the beach that served some samples of Greek food and entertained us with some Greek dancing. I even got to participate.

CintiPam,

Well, the response from the tripadvisor regular (Athens' dianabiz) was that with the recent elections, and consequent major change in the government, no one really knows what the winter hours will be. However, until posted otherwise, assume that last year's winter hours of 10:30 AM to 5 PM will be this year's hours. (What a way to run a country!)

The shorter Monday hours are "for maintenance".

Archived