LIRR to Flatbush Ave???

jbrambach

Anyone have experience taking the LIRR to Flatbush Ave Station for the Red Hook Cruise Terminal? I live on LI and have taken the LIRR with luggage, no problem there....I just wanted to know about the Flatbush Avenue Station. The good the bad and the ugly:D I called Arceibo Car Service and they said they would pick us up from Flatbush Station, just to call them that day.

Any info would be helpful.:)

I've taken the LIRR to the Flatbush station, but have never come up above ground. The station is fine and was being renovated when I was last there. It's an easy trip and not nearly as crowded as heading to Penn Station. You'd probably want to be towards the front of the train when you exit.

KC

The construction is still not finished at Flatbush Avenue, so you'll still see some confusion there. But so long as you're capable with luggage there shouldn't be a problem. Most obvious on the arriving platforms are the staircases that go up to street level. If you straight to the head end of the platforms you'll also find the elevator to street level. There is a small ticketing area on street level that is directly connected to the adjacent shopping center.

I would be wary of making advance arrangements for a car service there. The problem you may well encounter is trying to find where your driver will be waiting. It is very busy on the streets, and it may be difficult for a driver to find a place to legally pull-over to wait for you, and for you to find that location. You may find it easier to simply hail a taxi on Flatbush upon arrival.

Thank you so much for the info on the Flatbush Ave station. I will be with my husband so no problem with lugging the luggage:D And thanks for the info on the elevator and construction info. Are their taxis waiting or do they pass by often? Maybe I can just call Arceibo when we are at the Station?

Thank you so much for the info on the Flatbush Ave station. I will be with my husband so no problem with lugging the luggage:D And thanks for the info on the elevator and construction info. Are their taxis waiting or do they pass by often? Maybe I can just call Arceibo when we are at the Station?

call Arecibo....they will know where the cruise terminal is. Although there may be an occasional passing cab, Arecibo will be there in a few minutes and know how to get to the terminal. If you take a cab.....the directions are west on Atlantic Avenue all the way until it ends(after going under the highway) make a left and then the first right(three lights) follow that around until Bowne street and make a right into the cruise terminal. without traffic 10 minutes with traffic may be 15....its not far...

call Arecibo....they will know where the cruise terminal is. Although there may be an occasional passing cab, Arecibo will be there in a few minutes and know how to get to the terminal. If you take a cab.....the directions are west on Atlantic Avenue all the way until it ends(after going under the highway) make a left and then the first right(three lights) follow that around until Bowne street and make a right into the cruise terminal. without traffic 10 minutes with traffic may be 15....its not far...

I think this is a great idea. Flatbush Ave. will have plenty of dollar van type cabs, because that this what is used by the people in the community. There is not going to be a cabstand of medallion cabs as at the airports or Penn Station, or the Bus Terminal.

I think this is a great idea. Flatbush Ave. will have plenty of dollar van type cabs, because that this what is used by the people in the community. There is not going to be a cabstand of medallion cabs as at the airports or Penn Station, or the Bus Terminal.

Since the local car services do not have meters, you may want to negotiate or otherwise confirm the fare before you get into a car. There may be some yellow cabs passing by on Flatbush Avenue towards the bridges, but indeed this is primarily a local car service neighborhood.

Since the local car services do not have meters, you may want to negotiate or otherwise confirm the fare before you get into a car. There may be some yellow cabs passing by on Flatbush Avenue towards the bridges, but indeed this is primarily a local car service neighborhood.

The PD really doesn't allow cars to just pick up people. Dollar vans have set routes. You can normally call a car service. The new NYCity rules for car services require they tell you the amount when you call. http://www.nyc.gov/tlc

you really should call and not do a street hail with a non NY yellow cab. Even in the outer boros the trolling/circulating car service is a thing of the past.

the reason its a thing of the past is when they catch them, they impound the car and everyone has a cell phone. While they allow a car service to set up at some places(like Ikea and the Brooklyn Cruise terminal- these are all licensed services with a contract with the entity(although the one at Ikea was illegally using someone else's license and they arrested them)

So, if I call and setup a pick-up that would be ok? I called Arecibo and they quoted me $9 to the pier which I think is GREAT. I plan on using them as I have heard good things about them from these boards.

Would this be ok? Or is their something better I should do? I want to be sure I have a ride to the terminal with someone who is safe and familiar with the area. I think Arecibo would be my best choice, right?:confused:

So, if I call and setup a pick-up that would be ok? I called Arecibo and they quoted me $9 to the pier which I think is GREAT. I plan on using them as I have heard good things about them from these boards.

Would this be ok? Or is their something better I should do? I want to be sure I have a ride to the terminal with someone who is safe and familiar with the area. I think Arecibo would be my best choice, right?:confused:

sounds good to me.

The PD really doesn't allow cars to just pick up people. Dollar vans have set routes. You can normally call a car service. The new NYCity rules for car services require they tell you the amount when you call. www.nyc.gov/tlc

you really should call and not do a street hail with a non NY yellow cab. Even in the outer boros the trolling/circulating car service is a thing of the past.

In my neighborhood cars cruise the streets near the subway station. While oftentimes there are yellow taxis in the taxi stand during the day, the primary street hail vehicles are the car services. Indeed, cars are not permitted to accept street hails and are supposed to only accept radio calls (exactly the reverse of yellow taxis), the rule is not generally followed. Police generally tolerate this. Perhaps the situation is now different in Brooklyn compared to what it had been, and what it presently is in Queens.

I don't disagree with calling for a car, but I wouldn't go crazy at Flatbush Avenue trying to find the particular car called. If there's another car passing by the station upon arrival, and assuming the car is TLC and will charge a fair amount, then go ahead. (But I cannot envision anyone having completed weekly grocery shopping at the adjacent Pathmark and searching for a particular car!)

That's about right. It is 2.5 miles between the railroad station and the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. By yellow taxi a 2.5-mile fare should be $7.50 without traffic, and this quote is not much more.

Archived