Will winter coats be needed for glacier/heli tour???

travelingmomof3

We are doing the helicopter to Glacier tour at the end of August. I think about 20-30 minutes walking on the glacier. So do you think we need the winter coats or can I get by with sweatshirts and hats and gloves? Maybe I won't even need the hats and gloves - I have no idea! I figured I would ask you here before packing 5 winter coats and all the essentials to go along with them for my family. Thanks!

You don't need the winter coats but you should prepare for weather that is cold and wet. Dress in layers and include something that will repel the water in case it rains.

You may get lucky and have a picture perfect day. However, bring layers of clothing in case the weather is less than perfect. Enjoy your trip!

I did the heli glacier trek in Skagway the end of May. Here's what I wore: 2 pairs of socks, tennies, jeans and silk long undies, t-shirt, long sleeved thermal shirt, fleece hoodie, winter jacket, gloves, and skull cap. Temsco provided glacier boots and a vest. I looked like the Pilsbury dough boy. :D Even with all that, I was still cold. But then, it was raining and that may have contributed some. I'd dress for the worst...you can always take things off.

Diane

We went in mid-July and had a warm, sunny day on the glacier and were told by every person we met how unusual it was! The dog team guide was wearing a t-shirt and goretex overalls.

We wore fleece sweatshirts, fleece jackets, toques and light gloves. The toques were not really needed, but since we had them, we wore them. Our raincoats and warmer gloves stayed in our backpacks, though they would have gone on had it been colder. We were all a bit too warm, but I'd rather that than too cold. We are from Ottawa and used to very cold winters--I didn't even consider bringing winter coats as I know that the right layers can be equally effective, and also more useful throughout the trip.

Go to www.weather and check out the average temps for the time period that you will be there. That will give you a pretty good idea on what to pack/wear.

We are going in Sept and the average temps for us range from 41 for the low and 57 for a high. Being from Texas - that is very chilly for us!

Denise

I get cold easily so I bring my light weight hooded jacket, sweater, and rain poncho. This time on our cruise to Alaska we are going in Sept. Even when I went in June, the day at Hubbard Glacier was cold, windy, and rainy.

We used our coats on a few occasions, including the glacier landing and the day in college fjord. I think the glacier landing was the only day I wore gloves...those magic stretchy gloves that take little to no room. Since a coat does not count extra as a carry-on item, we did not pack our coats and carried them on the plane instead and used them as pillows for our heads.

We just got back yesterday and did the glacier walk in Juneau that sounds similar to your plan. I wouldn't pack winter coats. Everyone talks about layering and that makes sense to me. Pack sweatshirts and/or fleece with hoodies and maybe a warmer vest. I don't even think hats are needed. Gloves might not be a bad idea, although we wouldn't have needed them for the glacier thing the day we were there. (Also, pictures were more important than warm fingers to me!) They give you glacier boots that fit over your own shoes to keep them dry and to give you some traction. We are from Michigan, so you might want to factor that in, but the cold was really seldom an issue for us last week. Have fun.

I'm planning on a long sleeve T, denim or cordaroy shirt, denim jeans and fleece...

Will I need a scarf?...traveling in sept - used to wet/cold - from NJ.

We are doing the glacier heli and walkabout... I would not wear this much clothes for 40-50's when I'm home...uisually the clothing I mentioned would be for much colder weather!

I'm planning on a long sleeve T, denim or cordaroy shirt, denim jeans and fleece...

Will I need a scarf?...traveling in sept - used to wet/cold - from NJ.

We are doing the glacier heli and walkabout... I would not wear this much clothes for 40-50's when I'm home...uisually the clothing I mentioned would be for much colder weather!

Are you planning on spraying your denim jeans with waterproofing spray? Alaska can be very wet and denim takes a LONG time to dry. Just something to think about!:p

Archived