Beware of the ship sailing when last names of travelers do not match!!!

My cousin, 14, is traveling with us on a cruise, we have a notarized letter and his passport, do we need his birth certificate and/or any other documents?

Make sure that the notarized letter includes permission for medical treatment if needed.

I have a question. I am traveling with my BFF and her children. She is divorced and has primary custody ( not sole). All the last names are the same. The children, age 16 and 14, both have passports that required both parents signature. Does she need a letter from the father. The father is a real loser and getting it would be difficult. What do you think?

I think you are suppose to have a letter from the father. However, back in the late 80's or early 90's I took my son on a cruise with my BFF for spring break as husband was tied up at work. I didn't know I needed a letter and, of course, didn't have one. When they asked for it, I thought fast enough to say that his father was recently deceased. Fortunately, my son was not close enough to hear the conversation so I didn't have to explain to my son that sometimes not telling the truth is a necessity in life. You hate to tell them "do as I say and not what I do."

I resisted the urge to say I was a "widow woman" and did they have many single gentleman sailing."

Tucker in Texas

Sorry you had this problem. Something similar (but not nearly as traumatic!) happened to my family, back in January 2007 when my son was 17 years old. Previously we had just used our birth certificates to board, but earlier that year, we had all gotten passports. So naturally, I left the birth certificates at home. :rolleyes:

When we got to the cruise terminal, I was rather shocked when I was asked for my son's birth certificate, because his and my last name are different. I had assumed that the passports would be fine. In the end, they ended up accepting a piece of identification that had both of our names on it...if I remember correctly, it was a health insurance ID card that had me listed as the subscriber, and my son as the covered dependent. I think it also helped that he was an "old" teenager of 17 years....like who would want to kidnap a kid that age? ;)

I hope your next cruise experience goes smoother. :)

Thank you for your kind words. My reasoning for the posting was so that no one ever goes through what I did. Just to be on the safe side take with you a certified notarized copy of Birth Certificates or the Originals. I just got a call from Royal Caribbean wanted to talk to me. I have high regards for Royal and I feel confident that this will be addressed.

Did you talk to them and get any satisfaction?

I am so sorry that this happened to you.

In this day and age, it is shocking that when you fill out the paperwork on line that the documentation requirements are not automatically given. This would be a simple software change on RCI's part, when you put in the passengers name and relationship, for minors, if the last name is different, the required documentation is then mentioned. The onus would be on the customer.

Burying this requirement in the boilerplate of the contract is insane. You shouldn't need a lawyer to purchase a cruise!

In this day and age, it is shocking that when you fill out the paperwork on line that the documentation requirements are not automatically given. This would be a simple software change on RCI's part, when you put in the passengers name and relationship, for minors, if the last name is different, the required documentation is then mentioned. The onus would be on the customer.

Burying this requirement in the boilerplate of the contract is insane. You shouldn't need a lawyer to purchase a cruise!

the info is very easily found right on the website not just in the contract. There are so many rules depending on where you are boarding , which country you are from, and other factors that a simple statement would not work. With different names how are they to know if it is a friend,child, or who sailing with each other.

Sue, when the passenger data is entered, the cruise lines software does the rest. All the rules, regulations, etc. is in their database. Their software team can easily integrate it with their on-line check in. It's called good customer support and is what quality organizations do (or another solution) to eliminate a wide spread problem. And they have done this, our recent Alaskan cruise left out of Vancouver, you would have to be blind to miss that a passport was required to reenter the US.

Reading this thread, it is very obvious this is a very misunderstood requirement and not just isolated to one or two customers. I'll bet it's an issue on every cruise with multiple customers.

Check in agents are human, they don't want to ruin someones vacation. This is most likely the reason why (according to the people on this thread) enforcement is lax at best.

Sue, when the passenger data is entered, the cruise lines software does the rest. All the rules, regulations, etc. is in their database. Their software team can easily integrate it with their on-line check in. It's called good customer support and is what quality organizations do (or another solution) to eliminate a wide spread problem. And they have done this, our recent Alaskan cruise left out of Vancouver, you would have to be blind to miss that a passport was required to reenter the US.

Reading this thread, it is very obvious this is a very misunderstood requirement and not just isolated to one or two customers. I'll bet it's an issue on every cruise with multiple customers.

Check in agents are human, they don't want to ruin someones vacation. This is most likely the reason why (according to the people on this thread) enforcement is lax at best.

There's the problem............... There's no way of knowing if it's their software team, equipment, or both, but RCCL is definitely lacking in the IT department!

Their website falls short in many areas. It's obvious that what's simple to many IT professionals is [apparently] impossible for RCCL's staff..................

I agree with you. As the information is entered and the right questions are asked in particular about minors, the required documents should then be stated.

If the IT department at RCL or any cruiseline cannot do this they perhaps need retraining.

As for the remark about it be "easily found" on their website I completely disagree. Many people are computer illiterate. They can do the very basic stuff. They don't know how to do the many searches it sometimes takes to get the info wanted. Then there are those who don't use a computer at all. Where are they to find it?

Tickets are received about 4 weeks out. IF people are diligent and read every word on the contract (and how many really do) it is not going to leave them much time to find all the documents they may be missing.

I feel the cruiseline has a responsibility to put all that information up front when a cruise is booked and make it easy to know before any money is on the table. It's their rules, they should supply the information properly.

Sorry about your experience, sounds terribly frustrating. I just recieved our paperwork last night and we were checking it over when we noticed two things that I hope will not be a problem. One is our last name is actually two names but was written as one, the other was it stated I am married but my husband is not. Now this might seem like a plus for some, but we don't want any snags with ID information. Not sure anyone would even notice or care but am seeking suggestions and thoughts on what, if anything, we need to do to correct these things. Thanks I know it is probably minor, just have worries that at the last minute they will say we can't board or my husband might decide the marital status is a nice change (lol).:)

I agree with you. As the information is entered and the right questions are asked in particular about minors, the required documents should then be stated.

If the IT department at RCL or any cruiseline cannot do this they perhaps need retraining.

As for the remark about it be "easily found" on their website I completely disagree. Many people are computer illiterate. They can do the very basic stuff. They don't know how to do the many searches it sometimes takes to get the info wanted. Then there are those who don't use a computer at all. Where are they to find it?

Tickets are received about 4 weeks out. IF people are diligent and read every word on the contract (and how many really do) it is not going to leave them much time to find all the documents they may be missing.

I feel the cruiseline has a responsibility to put all that information up front when a cruise is booked and make it easy to know before any money is on the table. It's their rules, they should supply the information properly.

I had flown internationally with my grandchildren before I ever cruised and no one ever asked me for permission letters/birth certs/proof of relationship. We had our tickets, passports and off we went. I have flown with them after 2001 and no one has checked, so I don't think it's a Customs and Immigration regulation.

Then you book a cruise and they want a wad of papers filled out.

My TA let me know before my first cruise with them what I needed- but when I got to the Pier no one at RCCL asked me for the documents, or ever has since.

Princess cruise line asked me if I had the correct documents- when I started to get them out she said "No, it's OK, as long as you have them with you".

HAL is the only cruise line to date that inspected my papers.

If RCCL want people to comply with their regulations then they should be a bit more proactive in informing people. Few people really read every part of their cruise contract...

my daughter is 22 and I don't have to worry about such things anymore. Was able to get her passport before the rules changed about having father's signature available (probably would have given it to be but an extra step in the process). Always had the paperwork on every cruise we took and was never asked for it - and our last names are different and have always been.

My step son went with us on a cruise before he was 18 (traveled with his dad and I on a cruise) and his mother thought it was a ridiculous waste of time to put all the paperwork together including a notarized statement to get his passport (because she couldn't be bothered with making the trip to the post office with her son and ex) and I was asked for the paperwork on that cruise...

I've just returned from the Indy, and I was asked for a letter from my daughters father. This was the first time I'd been asked, so it must be a new policy.

I explained that my daughter's father has no legal rights and handed them a copy of her full birth certificate, which clearly states im her mother.

I was told again that I needed a letter or we wouldn't be able to travel, after talking to the manager we were eventually allowed to board.

What I don't understand is a letter would prove nothing, as how would they authenticate it anyway. I could write a letter and sign it from her father, so this policy is not protecting any one.

As Ruth stated, her Dad wouldn't get asked for anything as he has the same name as her (but no legal right over her).

What if he were dead? I don't mean to upset anyone, but, really, what if?? Would you have to have a death cert to show why pops couldn't sign a letter?

I understand the extra precautions when it comes to safeguarding children and I think it's great. So now I'm thinking how can this process be improved and/or more efficient. I dont' have children so I don't know what is required for their passport. However they wanted my life's story when I applied. So maybe a minors passport should establish who their parents are, have a copy of the child's original birth certificate, marriage licenses and/or divorce decree w/ parental custody, guardianship scanned and saved with the other personal data on the scanned bar code on the passport.

So then once a minors passport is scanned all this data will flash on the screen and the authorities will know immediately this is a minor and these are the parents and this is the parental situation - full custody, joint, married, adopted, foster etc. Also add a scanned picture of the parents and their passport numbers. It will identify by photos who the child is and there related parties. The parent would then have to verify WHO THEY ARE - passport, birth certificate, notarized letter from other parent, etc.

So I guess my point is allow the passport to serve as the documented source which provides how the child is related to the parent, "how the dots are connected" and then the parent just proves who they are (passport, birth certificate) and a notarized letter from the other parent.

If this is already on the barcode on the passport then disregard my post. LOL! I'm just trying to figure out a better way to do this. What do you guys think?

Couple problems:

First, there is nothing "in" the barcode but a barcode number that is quite likely the passport number.

Second problem is that passports are valid for a very long time, but people have changes in life - marriage, divorce, changes to custody agreements, etc.

While I generally think your idea has some merit, there are a few wrinkles. But only a few.

Parentage is For Life so connecting those dots would be valuable. I also think same surname should maybe not mean anything since above the case of "pops has no rights to her" but same name. So, then, would every child travelling without both parents raise a flag? admin nightmare.

I believe it is called major scope creep requiring intricate coding of logic and testing TESTING testing. I am a software developer and can tell you there is rarely such a thing as "a simple change."

Logic does not live in a database, someone would have to spell out all the different possibilities and it would have to be coded and it would have to fit in with the existing interface. The different conditions and parameters would be staggering.

you can call it customer support but I call it a project that will never end as rules change and code has to be changed, adding additional risk every time it is touched. And then people would be mad that the website is down for maintenance.

careful what you wish for.

What if he were dead? I don't mean to upset anyone, but, really, what if?? Would you have to have a death cert to show why pops couldn't sign a letter?
Yes, that is exactly what one does when the father is deceased, and several have posted on these boards about having to do this.

Some cruiselines only require that one parent approve the travel, some only require both parent's approval for young children age 10 or 12 and under, some require both parent's approval all the way up to age 18. If both parents do not have a legal say in the child's travel, then you need to be prepared to provide the legal proof of that; death certificate, sole legal custody papers, revocation of parental rights, court order allowing the travel, etc. Many travellers are never asked for these papers, but you can be denied boarding if you are asked for them and do not have them.

Unfortunately, yes. It's not just with the cruise industry. I know of a family who needed a death certificate to fly with their child.

The real problem is this rule has been in effect since the early 1980s. So you carry all the documents around and are never asked until the one time you forget. If they enforced the rule on every check in people would be more aware and assume all the documentation was needed every time they traveled. This rule was triggered by men taking their kids to muslim countries where women had no standing and could not get their kids back. It was enforced heavily after it was initially passed at both the departure points and arrival points, but as time has passed and more people travel internationally and incidents of transnational kiddnapping have been out of the news; the enforcement has become lax. I know of one incident while I was working for American Airlines in the early 1990s where a mother was taking her child on a trip to france and the father was there to drop them off at the airport but AA would not let them board because she did not have a notarised letter from the father to allow her to take the child out of the country.

Apparently with the new implementation of travel documentation regulations by DHS, the old rules are being dusted off and enforced, much like the airlines have always had overweight baggage fees in their ticket contract but did not really charge them until a couple of years ago.

I suspect that these regulations are less about Homeland Security and more about taking a minor child out of the country, without both parents present, due to the increase in divorce & child kidnapping, usually by a family member. Administrative entities aren't trying to make our lives miserable, but only adapting to an ever complicated world.

We learned the hard way, 5 years ago, when crossing the Canadian border with our 15 yr. old Grandson who had recently come to live with us full time.

His mother had willingly relinquished guardianship and we had the documents listing us as primary guardians, but it had not occurred to me to bring those with us. We all had proof of citizenship & share the same last name, but immigration still wanted documentation stating that we had permission to take our Grandson out of the country. They said that it was standard procedure as a result of so many estranged family members fleeing with minor children. Because of Brandon's age, they settled on a private conversation with him in a back room, out of our earshot, in which he could verify that he was with us of his own free will & we were in fact, his legal guardians. Had he been younger so less able to speak for himself, they would have turned us back. That experience taught me to never go anywhere without a copy of our guardianship papers, including for doctors, drivers permit, etc. A copy stayed in my purse.

Live & learn....just sorry it had to be at the start of your much anticipated cruise. What an awful circumstance.

I will be traveling on a short Bahama cruise on 8/31 with my husband and children. My children have a different last name because I am remarried. If I have my canceled passport that has my OLD married name, which matches the children, and my New passport which matches my husband, do you think that is linking documentation?

I will be traveling on a short Bahama cruise on 8/31 with my husband and children. My children have a different last name because I am remarried. If I have my canceled passport that has my OLD married name, which matches the children, and my New passport which matches my husband, do you think that is linking documentation?

I JUST got back yesterday. All travel agent said to have was passport and notarized letter from father. All went well.

Unfortunately, yes. It's not just with the cruise industry. I know of a family who needed a death certificate to fly with their child.

Far stranger & more incomprehensible things can happen.

Imagine our rage when we finally had to provide a death certificate (phone calls didnt work) to the hospital where our 23 yr. old son died, following an accident, so that they would quit billing him for the hour of treatment in their emergency room prior to his being pronounced dead? Absolutely true story that took place at the Baptist South Memorial Hospital in Memphis, TN in 2002. Months of my calling their billing department to reiterate that they were billing, not only a dead person, but one who died on their property, did no good. I had to provide the documentation in the form of a death certificate........so anything is possible in this world of nightmarish paperwork that we all live.

Archived