Heli Dog Sled Tour VS Heli Glacier Tour

travelingmomof3

Just looking for some opinions here. I have a family of 5 and we would love to do the dogsled tour on the glacier - but it is very expensive!! The cheaper option would be to just take the helicopter to the glacier and walk on it for 20-30 min. That would cost about half of what we would pay for the dogsled option - so what do you all think? Is the dogsledding that important or is the magic mostly the helicopter ride over the glaciers and then being able to actually land on one and walk for a bit.

Just looking for some opinions here. I have a family of 5 and we would love to do the dogsled tour on the glacier - but it is very expensive!! The cheaper option would be to just take the helicopter to the glacier and walk on it for 20-30 min. That would cost about half of what we would pay for the dogsled option - so what do you all think? Is the dogsledding that important or is the magic mostly the helicopter ride over the glaciers and then being able to actually land on one and walk for a bit.

Hi There...

Which port are you planning on doing this excursion? We went last year and did the Helicopter glacier walk out of Skagway and it was great...we loved it but wish we could have been on the glacier longer. We were lucky enough to go this year again and wanted more time on the ice...we took a Glacier Hike out of Juneau...we used Northstar Trekking...this was the one of the most amazing things I have ever done. They have 3 options...we took Hike #2...my son was not old enough for the 3rd one. They provided all the equipement (jackets, gloves, boots, fannypack etc) and we traveled with our 12 and 15 year olds. I attached a couple of pic but it just does not do it justice!

I have read the dog sledding is just as wonderful of an experience...we actually saw the dog sledding tour from our helicopter this year when they were flying us to the ice fields for our hike.

Check out Northstar Trekking website...Northstartrekking.com

Hope that helps!

DSC_0180.jpg.d98f84bfbf4943a4420711caad97a23c.jpg

DSC_0200.jpg.4aa8bcdd49e63ae738465857ef65bbfd.jpg

DSC_0211.jpg.1676e570dcb94f5453dd6ad96900a046.jpg

DSC_0225.jpg.6d712c51d1d3d8bfef0c1a08981eb638.jpg

Momof3,

I'd second the support for Glacier Trekking with Northstar. We just did it last week in Juneau. I did the Glacial Walkabout with my 9 year old and my husband and older sons (16 and 20) did the X-Trek. We all LOVED it!!! I don't know what ages your kids are and if they are the adventureous kind, but since I have three outdoorsy boys who are/were all Boy Scouts and very into hiking, climbing, camping, biking, skiing etc, I thought that they would prefer actually doing the trekking themselves, vs. being pulled by dogs. I'm sure the dog sled rides are great, but coming from the Northeast, as you are, we get plenty of snow up here and can actually dog sled in Vermont, NH and Maine but what we don't have is glaciers and the opportunity to actually hike or climb it ourselves.

The Walkabout was fine for my 9 yr old...he loved it, but it was probably about the right amount of time and challenge for him AND of course, he just loved the helocopter ride! My hub and older sons said they were soooo glad they did the X-trek and that the time flew! They take you trekking to a series of "stops" -- features, crevices, "caves" that you interact with (descend into, climb through etc) and then you head to the ice wall that you can climb if you choose. My guys said they would've been bummed out if they had done the shorter excursions.

If it's seeing the dogs or learning about the whole dog sledding/racing thing, you can separately visit one of the summer dog kennels in Seward and other places. But if it's just the experience of sledding...then I'd say, do it in Vermont sometime and trek yourself on the glacier...the kids feel a sense of accomplishment and have a great story to tell or picture to put on Facebook:rolleyes:.

I know that going with the longer treks won't save you any money vs. the dog sledding, but I have to tell you -- of all the things we did over 2 weeks in AK (and we did alot -- flightseeing Denali, hiking in Denali, ATVing, mountain biking on the Kenai, kayaking in Kenai Fjords NP, salmon fishing on the Kenai River, whale watching in ISP, rock climbing in Skagway, Rainforest Canopy Adventure in Ketchikan, the Deadliest Catch in Ketchikan), if I could only do one thing on the whole trip again....glacier trekking would be it. It was simply unforgettable. I'd really recommend finding the savings somewhere else in your trip's budget (take a great hike in Skagway on your own for example) or stay in cheaper hotels pre/post cruise and spend the money to get up on that glacier.

I hope your family of 5 enjoys Alaska as much as mine did!

Lynne

We did a heli/dog sled tour out of Juneau in July. My sons (6 and 8) loved it, but if they were older I would have just done a heli/glacier trek. Although I loved our excursion, and it was really neat to meet the guide and hear about the Iditarod, I would have preferred hiking to riding as the dogs just take you in a big circle.

They are very different excursions. The glacier dog sledding get very little actual "ice" exposure, it's mostly all snow. You do NOT drive your own sled- despite what some reports say. For clairfication- driving your "own" sled means total control and independent. If standing on the breaks means "driving" for you, then this fits. It is the most canceled of all Alaska tours, you always need to consider back up plans.

As for trekking. I only recommend the longest tour you can get. Even the level 3 tours, aren't all that long. You want to be able to get OUT on the ice, and not tied up with a slow group- that may have some limitations.

If going interior Alaska a walk in trek is available at Exit and Matanuska, for "cheap" prices.

Momof3,

I'd second the support for Glacier Trekking with Northstar. We just did it last week in Juneau. I did the Glacial Walkabout with my 9 year old and my husband and older sons (16 and 20) did the X-Trek. We all LOVED it!!! I don't know what ages your kids are and if they are the adventureous kind, but since I have three outdoorsy boys who are/were all Boy Scouts and very into hiking, climbing, camping, biking, skiing etc, I thought that they would prefer actually doing the trekking themselves, vs. being pulled by dogs. I'm sure the dog sled rides are great, but coming from the Northeast, as you are, we get plenty of snow up here and can actually dog sled in Vermont, NH and Maine but what we don't have is glaciers and the opportunity to actually hike or climb it ourselves.

The Walkabout was fine for my 9 yr old...he loved it, but it was probably about the right amount of time and challenge for him AND of course, he just loved the helocopter ride! My hub and older sons said they were soooo glad they did the X-trek and that the time flew! They take you trekking to a series of "stops" -- features, crevices, "caves" that you interact with (descend into, climb through etc) and then you head to the ice wall that you can climb if you choose. My guys said they would've been bummed out if they had done the shorter excursions.

If it's seeing the dogs or learning about the whole dog sledding/racing thing, you can separately visit one of the summer dog kennels in Seward and other places. But if it's just the experience of sledding...then I'd say, do it in Vermont sometime and trek yourself on the glacier...the kids feel a sense of accomplishment and have a great story to tell or picture to put on Facebook:rolleyes:.

I know that going with the longer treks won't save you any money vs. the dog sledding, but I have to tell you -- of all the things we did over 2 weeks in AK (and we did alot -- flightseeing Denali, hiking in Denali, ATVing, mountain biking on the Kenai, kayaking in Kenai Fjords NP, salmon fishing on the Kenai River, whale watching in ISP, rock climbing in Skagway, Rainforest Canopy Adventure in Ketchikan, the Deadliest Catch in Ketchikan), if I could only do one thing on the whole trip again....glacier trekking would be it. It was simply unforgettable. I'd really recommend finding the savings somewhere else in your trip's budget (take a great hike in Skagway on your own for example) or stay in cheaper hotels pre/post cruise and spend the money to get up on that glacier.

I hope your family of 5 enjoys Alaska as much as mine did!

Lynne

Did you book all your excursions through the ship, or did you book private tours? We just came back from a Med cruise, and did all private tours, and found them so much better than going with the ship. I am not sure if that is possible in Alaska. Please let me know. Thanks

Did you book all your excursions through the ship, or did you book private tours? We just came back from a Med cruise, and did all private tours, and found them so much better than going with the ship. I am not sure if that is possible in Alaska. Please let me know. Thanks

It is simple to book independent in Alaska. Many long standing excellent vendors. But do not expect big savings, sometimes, it's insignificant. But do expect better tours, longer, more personal, smaller groups etc etc.

We are also looking to do this tour in Juneau and after reading your recommendations I am hooked on doing the Level 2 Trek with Northstar. The problem is that one of my kids is just 10 1/2 and it says min age of 12! Do you think they strictly adhere to this? I also have a 13 1/2 and a 15 yr old. They are all very active so I know they'd rather do Level 2 that Level 1 and if we had to split up I will be the one stuck to Level 1 with him :(. I sent them an email to see if we can book Level 2 so wish me luck! I am hoping since it would be just my family on this tour that they could tailor it for us a little more. Oh yeah - can someone tell me what they charge for these tours? Their website doesn't have any prices. Thanks!

Jilijny,

I booked some independently (Northstar Trekking and Whale Watching in ISP) because I wanted to ensure my group of 17 were together (as much as possible when traveling in separate boats or helicopters) and others through RCL. For example in Skagway, my sons did the Klondike Rock Climbing and Rappelling and that was not offered by the company independently -- that is, they "force" you to book through the cruise line. And for the Bering Sea Crab excursion, there was no savings to book independently and there were only 2 of us going, so I booked thru RCL.

My experience was, as BQ stated, there was little savings to be had by booking independently (darn) and actually, for the more expensive excursions...you MAY want to book them through the ship so that you don't have to pay in advance. Many of the companies ask for sizable deposits if you book on your own. You MAY want to pay in advance and get it over with....or you may like just putting it on your cruise Seapass or whatever and having it included with your other cruise-related charges.

Food for thought!

Lynne

We are also looking to do this tour in Juneau and after reading your recommendations I am hooked on doing the Level 2 Trek with Northstar. The problem is that one of my kids is just 10 1/2 and it says min age of 12! Do you think they strictly adhere to this? I also have a 13 1/2 and a 15 yr old. They are all very active so I know they'd rather do Level 2 that Level 1 and if we had to split up I will be the one stuck to Level 1 with him :(. I sent them an email to see if we can book Level 2 so wish me luck! I am hoping since it would be just my family on this tour that they could tailor it for us a little more. Oh yeah - can someone tell me what they charge for these tours? Their website doesn't have any prices. Thanks!

Mom of 3,

I had the same problem, with having a younger child. But, since I knew my 20 and 16 yr really wanted to do the Level 3...there was no way we could even get close on the age. So, we split up. I am not at all sure how strict they adhere. I was with my best friend and her little boy, so we were a happy helicopter group together. It is unlikely (I guess depending on when you are going and if it is a busy time) that your family would be alone on the trek anyway. You may be alone with the pilot for the ride up to the glacier, but all the groups we saw coming/going that day were 3 helicopters with 4/5 clients in each one arriving together (minutes apart) and then they would take the 15 or so out as a group on the ice with a couple of guides.

I emailed them and they sent me a pricing brochure, but the prices for the summer of 2009 were: Level 1 - $359, Level 2 - $399, Level 3 - $499.

This was the most expensive excursion we did in AK...but my husband and I (who hated to spend the $$) agreed that it was worth it and we'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Hope it works out for you and your family!

Lynne

• 1 month later...

What time should I book my May 22, 2010 dog sled tour? We dock in Juneau at 7:00am and I need to book , but they are telling me that I should do late morning or early afternoon as May gets cancelled often. What would all the experienced tour riders recommend?

What time should I book my May 22, 2010 dog sled tour? We dock in Juneau at 7:00am and I need to book , but they are telling me that I should do late morning or early afternoon as May gets cancelled often. What would all the experienced tour riders recommend?

Book, when available and when you want to go. NO Way to predict anything else. IF you are looking at doing other touring out of Juneau, then block your time so to allow it. Makes no difference "when".

Be certain to have back up plans, if you don't want to waste your port day, if canceled. Glacier dog sledding is the most canceled of all Alaska tours.

I'm going to Alaska for my first time with my parents in May next year. We are going the Glacier Bay route on HAL Voledam. I want to do whale watching in Juneau but I also want to do dog sled, where is the next best place to do this tour other than Juneau?

I'm going to Alaska for my first time with my parents in May next year. We are going the Glacier Bay route on HAL Voledam. I want to do whale watching in Juneau but I also want to do dog sled, where is the next best place to do this tour other than Juneau?

Dog sledding?? On the inside passage, it is only available, for glacier dog sledding out of Juneau and Skagway. IF you are one way, it's also available out of Seward.

We did the helicopter ride, landing on the glacier and then the Dog sledding. The helicopter ride over the 4 glaciers was about 30 min, dog sledding about 30-45 and then the ride back to the facility.

We absolutly loved the whole excursion, and WOULD definately do it again (esp the dog sledding). We actually do plan on going back to Alaska again in June 2011. Even when we told ourself we would only do it one time .... yea right, once you have been there - you have the pull to go back again... lol.

We did it thru RCCl and in Juneau 6-07. Yes, its expensive but what an experience and if you plan on only doing it only one time - go for it.

Any questions, just ask.

Archived