What to do with luggage between cruise and flight?

Ausgirl

When we return to Sydney and disembark from the ship, is there anywhere at the port to store all our luggage until we leave for the airport? I assume we have to be off the ship at least by mid morning, and our flight home is only at 4pm.

Would be grateful if anyone can shed some light on this... don't want to be lugging it around with us all day.:confused:

When we return to Sydney and disembark from the ship, is there anywhere at the port to store all our luggage until we leave for the airport? I assume we have to be off the ship at least by mid morning, and our flight home is only at 4pm.

Would be grateful if anyone can shed some light on this... don't want to be lugging it around with us all day.:confused:

Hi, sorry there is nowhere at the terminal to store luggage.

even if your flight is 4pm, they will want you off to get ready for the next passengers.

My first flight home is usually around 2pm, and I am off ship most times by 9.30am.

may be someone else can tell you if you could store your things somewhere in the city. ( train station or similar )

have a great cruise.

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

Last time I was in Sydney, we used the big storage lockers at Central Station to store our luggage til we were ready to go to the airport.

Especially handy if you plan on getting to the airport by train.

Thanks everyone - I'll give Wanderers storage a call and see what we can arrange, otherwise might try to get an earlier flight back to Melbourne. We've spent a fair amount of time in Sydney so happy to go straight to the airport.

Can you tell me what time you would normally have to be off the ship? I don't know how they work it with the amount of people they have to get through and their various time needs....

Thanks everyone - I'll give Wanderers storage a call and see what we can arrange, otherwise might try to get an earlier flight back to Melbourne. We've spent a fair amount of time in Sydney so happy to go straight to the airport.

Can you tell me what time you would normally have to be off the ship? I don't know how they work it with the amount of people they have to get through and their various time needs....

Hi, P&O and Princess don't like you to have flights before 12 noon, in case ship is running late etc..

and like you out of your cabin by 8am.

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

cant remenber what its called but there is a place in Sydney CBD above the big Dimocks jewlers that stores luggage for traveles and its quite cheap and safe.

Its a very short taxi ride,bit too far to walk with cruise size luggage:D

We Phoned the Sydney touist bureau who put us on to them last cruise as we had a whole day in Sydney before our return flight home,was told the lockers at the station were not big enough for all the luggage.

If I can find the address and phone number I will post it.

Den

Depending on the airline, they may allow you to check in your luggage early.

We were able to do this and that way only had to carry around our carry-on luggage.

You will have some time to waste at the airport, but there are some restaurants and a food court too, as well as some good shops.

The good thing is that you haven't booked a flight too early or two late. As you have booked your own flights, you will probably be one of the last groups off the ship (this is the case with P&O, so assume it is the same with RCI). You can expect to be off the ship by 10am ish. By the time you get off the ship, collect your luggage, clear customs and get to the airport, it will probably be around 11.00am.

Yes you will have 5 hours to waste, but atleast if the ship is running late, you won't miss your flight.

Thanks everyone. Maybe we should just head to the airport - Remembering there are 5 of us (3 kids) the thought of getting off the ship with all that luggage and storing it, then having to collect it all is not worth it for a few hours. I would rather kill time at the airport. Pity, I have a friend who lives in Sydney just across the bridge from Circular Quay, but she won't get all our luggage in her car, and anyway it's a Thursday, so a work day for her.

But Den - if you can find the phone no and post it that would be great in case we do decide to go that way.

Also I checked on the internet for the central station lockers, and they no longer have them, security reasons apparently.

cant remenber what its called but there is a place in Sydney CBD above the big Dimocks jewlers that stores luggage for traveles and its quite cheap and safe.

If I can find the address and phone number I will post it.

Yeah, that's Wanderers above.

You will have some time to waste at the airport, but there are some restaurants and a food court too, as well as some good shops.

It is the domestic terminal though, so there's not a lot there. Depending which airline, it won't take that long to look across everything (30-60 minutes) and depending on the children's ages, I'd say it'd be fairly easy for them to be bored in 5 hours.

Perhaps a good way to pass time at the airport would be to write a cruise review? ;)

The following is a link to a map for Sydney Domestic Terminal to give you an ideas of food options and shops available.

http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/SACL/IgnitionSuite/uploads/docs/T2Map30032007.pdf

Not sure how old your kids are Caron, but perhaps if you are able to find a table by the window in one of the cafes, you can stay there and have some lunch, take some books / travel games for the kids? You can find travel games at game shops or the newsagencies at the airport. These could also be a good idea for inflight entertainment :)

My kids are older - 11, 13 and 16 so should be fine. But after all your great advice I will look at getting an earlier flight - around midday so that should work well and we wont have to hang around the airport just because of the luggage issue. Will just have to pay a bit more. My husband travels to Sydney often for work and think he will be less than thrilled at killing more time than he needs to in the airport.

Writing a cruise review - now there's a great idea - keep the cruise feeling going a bit longer to ward off the post cruise blahs....

Here's a good one for you, funny you should ask, we got off the dawn at 10am and our flights werent til 7:00 that night..So whats to do with the luggage!? Step dad had a bright idea and we checked our luggage into the marriot hotel and said we would be back later (They asked our names etc in case anything was to go missing) we later came back and (fibbed) and said there were a change in plans so they brought our luggage out and put it into the taxi for us..how good is that!? We thought if anything we would pay $50 to hold it but wasnt a problem!! Good idea i thought!! :)

My kids are older - 11, 13 and 16 so should be fine. But after all your great advice I will look at getting an earlier flight - around midday so that should work well and we wont have to hang around the airport just because of the luggage issue. Will just have to pay a bit more. My husband travels to Sydney often for work and think he will be less than thrilled at killing more time than he needs to in the airport.

Writing a cruise review - now there's a great idea - keep the cruise feeling going a bit longer to ward off the post cruise blahs....

I would stow my luggage at Wanderers as Big m suggested!

We put our luggage there and spent the day at Darling harbour,much better than the airport for all those hours,you will be off the boat before 9am.

Den

Here's a good one for you, funny you should ask, we got off the dawn at 10am and our flights werent til 7:00 that night..So whats to do with the luggage!? Step dad had a bright idea and we checked our luggage into the marriot hotel and said we would be back later (They asked our names etc in case anything was to go missing) we later came back and (fibbed) and said there were a change in plans so they brought our luggage out and put it into the taxi for us..how good is that!? We thought if anything we would pay $50 to hold it but wasnt a problem!! Good idea i thought!! :)

I love it! That's thinking outside the square.... I guess if their luggage room is empty it's no skin off their nose if they don't know.;)

Fishtaco - I will check out Wanderers as well, but Hubby is keen to get an earlier flight though.

Got it sorted - have booked a 12.30pm flight, so will go straight to the airport. Better not to have to worry about storing the luggage. Thanks for all you info as if I hadnt asked this question i would have booked a late afternoon flight. I just love Cruise Critic.:)

Got it sorted - have booked a 12.30pm flight, so will go straight to the airport. Better not to have to worry about storing the luggage. Thanks for all you info as if I hadnt asked this question i would have booked a late afternoon flight. I just love Cruise Critic.:)

Wow thats too early you could miss your flight! have you ever seen the que at the taxi stand when you get off the boat?

Most Sydney taxis have a gas cylinder in the boot so can only fit one case in and one in the back seat, this means the que is very long as people in 3s and 4s have to get separate cabs or wait for a Maxi:eek:

Just kidding:D True about the Taxi luggage space though.

You may be best to get the P&O shuttle to the airport,they give you this option when you fill out your departure flight details on the last night when you are packing.

Den

:eek: :eek: Just about gave me a heart attack there Den! Air tickets are now booked and paid for.

We will need a maxi taxi, so maybe it's worth us all walking round to circular quay station (wheeling our luggage) and ordering one in advance to meet us there?

I figured if we're off the ship by 9.30 and in a taxi by 11, we will be at the airport by 11.30, an hour before our flight.

The P&O shuttle may be too expensive for 5 of us.

Failing all this - hop on the train to the airport from Circular Quay?

Glad you have it all sorted! 12.30pm sounds like a good time. Not too early, not too late.

With the P&O shuttle, from memory it is about $20 per adult (I think less for children). We are also a group of 5, and with the 5 of us plus luggage, we need a maxi taxi.

A maxi taxi to the airport will cost about the same as going with the P&O shuttle.

If you do want to go with a taxi, I wouldn't worry about booking one in advance. There are so many waiting in the taxi bays when you get off the ship.

A maxi taxi to the airport will cost about the same as going with the P&O shuttle.

Unless there is really heavy traffic, which won't be the case at midday unless there is an accident, a taxi to the airport from Circular Quay should be under $50. The distance is only about 12km, but city traffic lights (waiting) are what adds to the cost, plus a possible toll and airport surcharge.

Archived