What to do with luggage between cruise and flight?

Ausgirl

:eek: :eek: Just about gave me a heart attack there Den! Air tickets are now booked and paid for.

We will need a maxi taxi, so maybe it's worth us all walking round to circular quay station (wheeling our luggage) and ordering one in advance to meet us there?

I figured if we're off the ship by 9.30 and in a taxi by 11, we will be at the airport by 11.30, an hour before our flight.

The P&O shuttle may be too expensive for 5 of us.

Failing all this - hop on the train to the airport from Circular Quay?

Hi Ausgirl,

Presuming you are coming in to wharf 8 at Darling Harbour, I'd hate to see you walking all the way around to Circular Quay when Wynyard is just up the street. If I've missed it somewhere and you are coming in to the Overseas Passenger Terminal, then Circular Quay it is.

Wynyard to Domestic Airport by train is $14.60 per adult and $9.90 per child. http://www.cityrail.info

Maxitaxi is $3.20 flagfall and $1.93 per km. http://www.taxiscombined.com.au

I think taxi probably wins.

Cheers

Clive

We come in to the Overseas Passenger Terminal, I've just double checked on the Sydney Ports website.

We were in Sydney a couple of months ago and took a taxi to the airport from the City - it was around $75, about right if a normal taxi is $50. if it's going to cost around $60 for us to go by train, may as well spend the extra $15 and get a taxi.

Luckie I guess you're right re plenty of taxi's at the port, I'm sure they know when the ships come in and plan to be there for guaranteed fares. A maxi is a little harder though but even with a bit of a wait I think we will still be ok. If anyone has experienced any different and thinks we should book a maxi in advance, please let me know.

Have a great weekend everyone....

Unless there is really heavy traffic, which won't be the case at midday unless there is an accident, a taxi to the airport from Circular Quay should be under $50. The distance is only about 12km, but city traffic lights (waiting) are what adds to the cost, plus a possible toll and airport surcharge.

From memory, we got a maxi taxi to the airport and was about $80, so perhaps a few dollars more or less than the shuttle. But the convenience is that you don't have to wait for the shuttle to fill up.

Ausgirl, with the maxi taxis, we had no trouble getting one. I think there were as many maxi taxis if not more, than regular taxis! The maxi taxis know that they will get a fare as ship's passengers need to get to the airport etc.

With Rhapsody, as you said, docks at Overseas Passenger Terminal. I have never been on a cruise from the OPT but I assume it would similar situation as to P&O cruises.

• 1 month later...

What we did was book a hire car in the CBD.

We took a cab from the wharf to the pick - up point. Then we had time out and a late lunch at Bondi, did the Mall at Bondi Junction. Got to the airport 2 hours beforehand as we were returning to NZ and dropped off at departures.

Hope this helps.

I have the same problem as you.(What to do with the luggage when you disembark from the ship, and your flight is later in the afternoon)I will be going straight to the Airport,I don't mind hanging around, as I don't really know Sydney that much, and would hate to gamble at getting a taxi back to the airport,in peak hour traffic.

So this is what I plan to do..... catch a taxi back to the airport after getting straight off the ship...... There is a place in the airport that is called Smartcarte, you can store your luggage there. Cost per suitcase,$10 half day,and $15 full day.I know this because I rang them and asked,they are located near Gate 42 Arrivals at Terminal 2 Domestic Arrivals.Their ph# is 02 96670926.

Hope that helps

Trish!!

Archived