How Long is Long Enough For You?

sail7seas

My wife has set her arbitrary limit of 30 days away from home.

We've done several cruises of 3 weeks to 27 nights, and have loved them.

I think I might enjoy one of those 100 night ( + or -) cruises, but am happy to stay within her boundaries.

Our 1st cruise was 7 days...not nearly long enough.

Our next two cruises were 10 day cruises each...nice The second two were 10 day cruises...very nice, but they could have been longer!

Last year, we did a 20 day b2b...that was perfect....we were ready to get home to our grandkids and furpals!

This winter, we're doing another b2b on the Noordam for 20 days...and spending some time in Florida on either side...two days before the cruise...6 days after...so we'll be gone from 2/1 to 2/28. The whole month of February. We'll see how that plays out!

First cruise 8 days.... booked a 14 as soon as we got home. We only had 2 weeks off in those days. Many 2 weekers after that then an 18 day Panama that was delightful (included Havana, Cuba :D). Finally had the time and money to do a 34 day So.Amer. Wow! Then a 36 TA Barcelona to L.A. Then a 28 day Tri-Continent.... all wonderful. After the Tri-Cont. however, we were ready to come home. That was spring 2008, very port intensive, and, being a B2B, tons of people getting on in Lisbon carrying the germs from airports, etc and the sickies bit us a bit. We needed to get home and get well. HOWEVER, if I had my druthers (whatever they are:rolleyes:) I would live full time on board and be eternally happy. :D

I really want to sail on the longer cruises!! So far the 14 day that I did last year was magical!! It was nice not worrying about packing after a few days,getting to know the ship crew better, and my fellow cruisers!

Since I'm still a working person, I can only take so many days off. Right now I can likey take a twenty day cruise.

I want to be like some of the cruisers able to take 30,60 and 100 sailing days at one time. I would love to take the world cruise one day!!

Now, if I can only win the powerball :rolleyes:!! I would mark 2010 as a year of cruising!!!

We've done a couple 10 days, and then we did the Hawaii/Tahiti 30 day this past Jan. and loved it! I would now love to go on the 63 day to Austrailia and back. It hits the french polynesian islands, and several more that I would love to see, along with New Zealand. I think the 63 night would be long enough for me.

Thank you for the aside. The avatar was taken on a -dam cruise (I forget which one) by my official photographer---RevNeal. So, of course I was smiling!

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic.

ccers09.JPG

The Eurodam Inaugural ... taken in the Crows Nest around midnight as we were northbound off the shore of Norway, having drinks and waiting for the sun to set.

For those who have sailed more than a seven day cruise, is there a limit as to how long you think you want to be aboard?

I think that a large part of the answer would have to be the particular ship and the itineraries.

If it were a ship that did the same 7-day cruises week after week after week - and I were shoved into a small cabin - I'm sure I'd be ready to go home sometime after the middle of the second week...

...However if it were a ship that was doing a series of Grand Voyages - no repeat ports/itineraries - and the service were good, the menus were varied, the company were pleasant, and I were in a Minisuite or better - I believe I'd be happy to remain aboard for as long as they'd put up with me.

(assuming I could get some good sushi and/or Thai food in port once in a while)

;)

My longest was 49 days and I enjoyed every day. Getting to know our waiter Luis so well was wonderful. The only bad day was the day I was laid off while sailing off the coast of Brazil. The up side was I did not have to fly home from Santiago after 31 days as planned. I was able to stay on board for the 18 day Santiago to San Francisco segment thanks to my generous boyfriend. We love cruising but prefer as many days as our schedules allow.

Our longest was 21 days B2B Hawaii. We loved it. Our constraints now are an aging mother, an aging dog and grandchildren. We will be gone almost three weeks in November and that is a worry. Then a 15 day Hawaii in February, but that is just the cruise, We still have to get to San Diego and back and we never just fly in and out of San Diego, we always stay for four days or so.

Anyway as long as we have the aging mother and aging dog and the grandkids are still small we won't be doing any longer trips.

Now that we are retired, time is not an issue, except for our furry little

ones that break my heart when we leave them. We took our first cruise

in '73, but haven't been as consistent in our cruise travel as many others,

but every cruise seems to get a little longer. Anything less than 10 days

is way too short, 14 is great and last year, our first TA of 18 days was

wonderful. We did 14 days roundtrip to Hawaii 4/09 and we're booked

for 28 days on Statendam 10/30/09 SD to SD , so "how many days is too

many"?? well the jury is still out, but we looooove sea days, never too

many of those!:D

Cindy

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.......a World Cruise!! Such a dream.........yes I would go in a minute as far as the length of it. Sometimes the world cruises go to ports that I don't really want to visit right now.......and then of course there is the cost.........but I need material for my dreams!!

Archived