How much cash to take?

OV8

Doing a 7 day - 3 port calls - eastern route cococay, st. maarten, st. john.

How much cash should I take?

Enough for taxis & tipping but everything else on credit cards?

Should I even consider a debit/atm card for port calls?

Do debit cards have the same fraud recourses/coverage as credit cards?

TIA

I think it depends on what you are going to do (how many ports). We usually start with about $50 per day but I always bring cash home. Pretty much everything can be put on credit cards. Don't forget to carry some $5's and $1's for tipping.

We take traveler's checks. For a full 7 day cruise we take $700 in checks. We get them cashed at the purser's desk before the excursions and typically we book all our excursions thru the cruiseline, so that's on our seapass. Whenever we've been into port we've always used our credit cards. I feel safer using my credit card over my debit. I figure if someone steals my debit card info and drains my acct before I get back home, that could have a greater trickling affect on bills that are coming out of my acct while I'm away. We also call the credit card company ahead of time and let them know we'll be using the card while in the various ports. I know nothing is 100% safe, but that's just our system. If we have traveler's checks left at the end of the cruise, we just apply that to our final seapass acct. Have a great cruise!

Doing a 7 day - 3 port calls - eastern route cococay, st. maarten, st. john.

How much cash should I take?

Enough for taxis & tipping but everything else on credit cards?

Should I even consider a debit/atm card for port calls?

Do debit cards have the same fraud recourses/coverage as credit cards?

TIA

What are your plans? Budget accordingly. The small vendors will not take credit cards. Debit cards do NOT have the same fraud protection that a credit card has.

Just a warning - some credit cards charge a fee now for using them out of country. We were charged $10 on our Royal Visa for a charge we made in Bermuda. Luckily that was the only out of country credit card purchase we made.

We bring mostly travelers cheques and cash them in as we need them.

Ours depends on how much I want to put in the slot machine... :)

We typically bring about $800 in combo cash and travelers checks and get a bunch of $1 bills for tips, etc for room service...whatever. And some $5s.

We take traveler's checks. For a full 7 day cruise we take $700 in checks. We get them cashed at the purser's desk before the excursions and typically we book all our excursions thru the cruiseline, so that's on our seapass. Whenever we've been into port we've always used our credit cards. I feel safer using my credit card over my debit. I figure if someone steals my debit card info and drains my acct before I get back home, that could have a greater trickling affect on bills that are coming out of my acct while I'm away. We also call the credit card company ahead of time and let them know we'll be using the card while in the various ports. I know nothing is 100% safe, but that's just our system. If we have traveler's checks left at the end of the cruise, we just apply that to our final seapass acct. Have a great cruise!

I haven't used nor bought traveler's checks in years.

Is there a fee for purchase & purser cashing?

As for the your's & every1 else's other points - totally agree - credit card over debit for fraud coverage & out of country transaction fee considerations.

How much cash will depend on your spending habits! Do you gamble? We always use cash for our gambling money...I would NEVER charge a gambling expense, so we bring as much as we are willing to lose (because that's the usual outcome!!!) and some for misc. tips and purchases ashore. (I don't want to use a credit card for a little item....or snack, or something like that!)

We also tip in cash at the end of the cruise, so we hold back enough cash for that expense.

Whatever we don't spend goes home with us and back into the bank!

How much cash will depend on your spending habits! Do you gamble? We always use cash for our gambling money...I would NEVER charge a gambling expense, so we bring as much as we are willing to lose (because that's the usual outcome!!!) and some for misc. tips and purchases ashore. (I don't want to use a credit card for a little item....or snack, or something like that!)

We also tip in cash at the end of the cruise, so we hold back enough cash for that expense.

Whatever we don't spend goes home with us and back into the bank!

Yeah - I don't gamble much. Was going to seapass anything little bit I do.

Otherwise, the cash is for tipping, fast lunches on shore & taxi rides.

Anything over $20, i would think would be a credit card charge for me.

Just have to verify the credit card charge fees in the above 3 locales.

I haven't used nor bought traveler's checks in years.

Is there a fee for purchase & purser cashing?

As for the your's & every1 else's other points - totally agree - credit card over debit for fraud coverage & out of country transaction fee considerations.

We bank with Bank of America and there was no fee to purchase these checks and there's no fee to cash them in at the pursers office. I know it's somewhat of an antiquated idea to carry traveler's checks, but due to the amount of money we were carrying, we figured this was the best way. If they are lost or stolen, you can even get your money while on your cruise, just by a simple phone call. This is, as long as you keep a copy of the original stubs showing the numbers listed on each check, etc.

Archived