Urgent help!!!! Belize tour canceled!

JakRat

:eek::confused::confused::confused::confused:

hello!

our tour was cancled and now we dont know what to do in belize! we are not so sure about the cave tubing as the water looked a bit mucky and we are more into a snorkle and beach. Any suggestions would be most wonderful.

Thank you!

hello!

our tour was cancled and now we dont know what to do in belize! we are not so sure about the cave tubing as the water looked a bit mucky and we are more into a snorkle and beach. Any suggestions would be most wonderful.

Thank you!

Go the ports of call page and look at what other people have done.

We did the cave tubing a few years ago with a private guide and had a treat time.

As I understand it Carnival cancelled it about a year ago as a passenger ran into trouble and drowned during the excursion. We had very good attention from our guides and never thought it was a dangerous excursion.

Our family also leans toward the beach and snorkel tours but we loved the cave tubing excursion. We DID NOT take the ships tour, there were 35 to 40 people, way too many for any tour. We used an outside vendor that got us (6 people) in the water ahead of the masses and took us through more caves plus we could actually hear the guide talk about the cave formations. It is cheaper and also safer because your guide can hear YOU as well. Do check the port boards folks give reviews and info on independants.

I booked the Gallows Reef Snorkeling tour with beach time through Eco Tours belize dot com for our trip next month. You might want to check them out. I feel more comfortable taking an excursion rather than venturing out on our own since it is our first time there.

We did the caves independently, and had a blast! I think I was the only person who wore their life jacket, as I am not a very strong swimmer. We can highly recommend it - can't remember the company that we did it thru - check the Belize excursions thread on here.

After reading all the glowing reviews of cave tubing on here we booked through Major Tom. What a disapointment. Since CCL has cancelled their tours the independents have become overwhelmed.

There were 100s of people literally clogged in the caves. Everyone is yelling and being told by the guides to hurry up. From my experience the tour has become too popular for the caves to handle.

I snorkled in Belize in 06 and thought it was top notch and would recommend over cave tubing anyday.

hello!

Thank you!

I'm not sure what ship you are on but have you considered doing a ship sponsored tour that includes a snorkel and beach option ? There should be a few choices. One benefit of doing a ship tour is that many depart right from the ship so you can avoid having to wait for a tender and get off the ship sooner. I know you pay more, but for the peace of mind, it may be worth it.

We were going to try and wing it on our own by catching a water taxi to Caye Caulker [the taxi is down the road a bit from the port area]. But those without a ship sponsored tour couldn't get a tender ticket until 09:30 am so we were afraid we wouldn't have much time. We ended up doing a ship sponsored tour instead. Since Belize was our fourth a final stop, we were exhausted by three snorkel and beach related days, so we did a Sights and Sounds of Belize Tour. I didn't expect much, but ended up enjoying the tour.

A few years back we did a ship's tour to Goff's Cay. The island was something right out of the movies - a little spit of land with a few palm trees. The water was a tad rough that day (a storm having moved through during the night), but the snorkeling was great all the same. There was a shallow, protected inlet that had an abundance of fish even though much of the coral was dead or damaged. Had a great time and were able to travel directly from the ship to the island without having to tender into the pier first.

A few years back we did a ship's tour to Goff's Cay. The island was something right out of the movies - a little spit of land with a few palm trees. The water was a tad rough that day (a storm having moved through during the night), but the snorkeling was great all the same. There was a shallow, protected inlet that had an abundance of fish even though much of the coral was dead or damaged. Had a great time and were able to travel directly from the ship to the island without having to tender into the pier first.

I'll 2nd the Goff's Cay recommendation. Plenty of live coral if you swim more than 20 yards away from the main "beach" area. A little farther out the Elkhorn coral "forests" were tremendous and full of fish the day we went.

water taxi, do you know the cost or a lettle more info on how to get there?

Just google Caye Caulker Water Taxi and their website will come up.

From the port area you will have to turn to your left and walk a few blocks [not sure exactly how far] The area can be a bit intimidating though, I'm not sure I would have been comfortable walking on my own. It's probably perfectly safe though. The area outside the port is not as nice as many other destinations. You can also grab a taxi, but it isn't far.

The price and schedule is posted on their website. There is more than one water taxi, but the one I'm familiar with was the caye Caulker one.

The water isn't mucky on the cave-tubing tour. Inside the caves, it looks black, but that's because it's so dark in there. Once you emerge into the outside part of the river, you see the water is very clear.

I was in Belize last year and used Major Tom to go cave tubing with my son. I thought it was a great tour and we had an amazing guide (Major Tom's son). He told us their tour company can arrange any tour you want, all you have to do is ask! Maybe they would have some great ideas of something special you could do in Belize.

I am going to assume that the cancelled tour was Bannester(private island) through Carnival. I'm guessing because that is the one we wanted also, but it is no longer showing as an option. Now, did I not read about a month ago that Carnival was building their oown port here, or was that Isla Roatan? It makes no sense not to offer some kind of beach day on an island. Maybe they have come up with one that is being advertised on the ship?:confused:

Belize... link here: http://belizecruiseterminal.com/

Thanks snorkel2much --

That will be a big improvement. We will be visiting in 'very early' 2010 (Jan) and will keep our fingers crossed. ;)

Didn't I read that Carnival is building a terminal in Isla Roatan on the opposite side of the island from the current terminal?

Archived