Jewel similar to Dawn?

agridealer

We are thinking about the Jewel for November, and as she is just now being built, there is obviously no reviews or opinions yet. I believe that she is being modeled after other ships, specifically the Dawn.

Any hardcore NCL afficianados have any "inside dirt" or information on the Jewel? Anything at all?

Thanks!

We are thinking about the Jewel for November, and as she is just now being built, there is obviously no reviews or opinions yet. I believe that she is being modeled after other ships, specifically the Dawn.

Any hardcore NCL afficianados have any "inside dirt" or information on the Jewel? Anything at all?

Thanks!

Actually, the Jewel is the third in the progression of the Star design, but in each case the ships have been different with each new ship :)

Here is a ton of info on the Jewel :)

http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com/s-njewel.html

cliffd64 - Thanks for the link you provided above. We booked for the Jewel yesterday (New England and Canada) and had only the brochure description to go by. Your link gave us an even better idea of what to expect. Thanks.

We just booked the Jewel for December!!! The ship looks similar,but will have some changes. They are bringing back the Great Outdoor Cafe with this new ship in addition to the Garden Cafe. This will be the newest ship we have ever sailed on since the RCCL Song of America back in 1983.

When are you sailing?

We've booked the Xmas day sailing ex Miami for 7 nights...

Looks like a lovely ship - based on Star and Dawn design. We sailed on the Star 2yrs ago and really liked it, so let's hope this one lives up to our memories.

Lbackwith,

We are sailing Dec. 4th

cliffd64,

Thanks so much for the website info on the Jewel. It looks like a great ship. I think it is an upgrade to the Star. I noticed the televisions look bigger in the cabins. We have a BA balcony. I love the decor. It looks like wooden steamer type chairs out on the balcony. Anyway, we are looking forward to sailing on her.

We just booked the Jewel for December!!! The ship looks similar,but will have some changes. They are bringing back the Great Outdoor Cafe with this new ship in addition to the Garden Cafe. This will be the newest ship we have ever sailed on since the RCCL Song of America back in 1983.

I was curious--what's the Great Outdoor Cafe?

I was curious--what's the Great Outdoor Cafe?

On the Sun and the Sky, there is a second buffet area called the Great Outdoor cafe with a large dining area that is actually outside. it is rather nice :)

Unfortunately this feature didnt carry over onto the Star and Dawn, but it apparently is being reinstated aboard the Jewel...

Pete,Lisa & Shane - Thanks for the link to the "buliding site". Very interesting. Now, am I being negative or does it look as if it still has a long way to go before launching? I know nothing about shipbuilding but just going by the webcam...??You must be booked on one of the Jewel's first cruises - what do you think?

Malcolm

Loopythecat - (hello fellow Brits)

Thanks for the link - I shall be looking at it weekly.

I notice on the Jewel they have enlarged some of the front cabin balconies (Cat AC, which we're booked in) compared to the Star and Dawn (upon which the ship design is based), so I'll be looking out for any "front" photos of the ship nearer completion.

• 2 weeks later...

Loopythecat & other Brits,

We are considering coming over from "the colonies" (Aus) and going on the Jewel's first cruise (Mediterranean) in early August. From the cam it looks like there's a lot to be done yet. It's a long way for us to come to find the cruise postponed. Has anyone any inside info on the prospects of getting it finished ? Thanks. [and yes, we foregive you for sending us over here for stealing "a loaf of bread". What a punishment it's been !] Trevor

Meyer Werft I believe has a great record of meeting deadlines. Although it looks like it has a way to go, I think it will be ready. We were watching the "other" Jewel, Jewel of the Seas, being built there, and they progress rapidly once they reach a certain point. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the cabins are mostly all drop-in cubicles that are all but ready when they insert them.

I have no doubt that Meyer Werft will have the ship ready for its first sailing in August. They have more than six months to finish the job. I enjoy watching their weekly progress and look forward to sailing the Jewel in October.

I have no doubt that Meyer Werft will have the ship ready for its first sailing in August. They have more than six months to finish the job. I enjoy watching their weekly progress and look forward to sailing the Jewel in October.

Here is another view of the Ship looking more like a ship. A sad day but good view of the Jewel

NCL Jewel

...Sorry it's taken a while to reply.

I'm sure the Jewel will be ready for your cruise; and August in the Med will be HOT, HOT, HOT!! .....So do make that trip and enjoy.

Re: the loaf of bread - how many other generous countries out there would give you a free cruise from Blighty to Aus, with "free" room and board all the way!! ... as well as still getting to keep the original loaf of bread!! :)

Have a great time!

Archived