When your 5 day cruise to Bermuda was diverted due to weather

stipmom

When this happened to us (Celebrity Zenith, 1999, departed NYC), they were going to take us to Savannah, GA, then decided to go to Port Canaveral instead. Then we still couldn't go to Bermuda, because another hurricane was getting set to hit it, so they took us to Nassau instead. As I recall, a group of passengers was extremely upset, and almost mutined. The cruise line ended up giving each of us $200 in on-board credit and a gift certificate for $200 to be used on another cruise. Frankly, I never used the GC -- could never find another cruise I wanted to do on Celebrity before it expired.

I remember that as we were boarding, the cruise line passed out a photocopied message that there were hurricanes near Bermuda and that the ship might have to divert to another destination. That's all the notice we were given, and I don't think we were offered money back if we cancelled the cruise at that point. -- Eleanordew

From the little I looked (rccl, carnie, hal) if it leaves from Calf. it ends up in Ensenada or Vancouver. If it leaves from Hawaii it ends up in Ensenada or Vancouver.

There are round trips from U.S. West Coast to Hawaii (generally the cruise is about 14-15 nights with 4 sea days at the beginning and end). Pricness does round trip from Los Angeles. Holland America has round trip from San Diego. Celebrity used to do a similar itinerary but no longer does so.

There are round trips from U.S. West Coast to Hawaii (generally the cruise is about 14-15 nights with 4 sea days at the beginning and end). Pricness does round trip from Los Angeles. Holland America has round trip from San Diego. Celebrity used to do a similar itinerary but no longer does so.

Check it out - even the ones that sail round trip from LA or SD make a stop in Ensenada.

In Sept.2006 we were booked on Empress of the Seas out of Phila.on a 7 night Bermuda Cruise & when I called RCCL the day before they said they still hoped to go to Bermuda & because I called they would give me a $100.00 OBC. When we got to Phila. we found out we were not going to Bermuda because of the storm & would be going to the Bahamma`s. they gave everyone an additional $250.00 OBC

I thought all cruises to Hawaii start either in Ensenada Mexico or Vancouver Canada.

The one way Hawaiian cruises on foreign flagged ships must start or end in a foreign port which is usually Ensenada if leaving or going to Southern California area or Vancouver leaving/going to the northern west coast area.

That's what happened with our Radiance San Diego, where we checked in and were bussed down to Ensenada to board the ship, to Honolulu cruise in May08 . The previous cruise was a Panama Canal from Florida one that disembarked paxs in San Diego. Then the ship sailed to Ensenada to board us, the new paxs. The cruise following our's went from Honolulu to Vancouver.

If they don't leave from a foreign (usually close to USA in the case of North American west coast cruises) port, then a foreign flagged ship must make a port call on a distant foreign port which is South America or the Fanning Is (two days sailing south of Hawaii).

Some start on the West Coast of U.S. as well.

Yes, these must start and end in the same port and call on at least one foreign port, usually Ensenada for west coast itineraries. If the ship doesn't return to the same embarkation port then it must meet the above requirements as it is transporting paxs between two different US ports.

Archived