Mariner to Mexico

RMS Olympic

I am looking for a replacement cruise should the Diamond leave the fleet before my Sept 05 cruise in the Med. One choice is the Mariner (which I have not sailed yet) to Mexico or to go back to the Voyager in the Caribbean.

Has anyone sailed the Mariner to Mexico.......if so was it good or should I head to the Voyager in the sunny Caribbean in December?

Does a sailing out of LA get a younger group?

Mexico ports of call don't do much for me, but I must admit I would like to try the Mariner.

Suggestions/ comments please.

We have sailed on Mariner twice, the latest being to the Mexican Riviera. We didn't go for the Mexican ports, but rather just to be on Mariner. Such a great ship, friendly crew, and Chef Tobias in Compass Rose. Yum!

Capt. Tom, The Mariner is a great ship!!! I especially like the Category C cabins...the best cabin I've ever been in!! If possible, get one of those cabins. There were 54 of us (from CC and LCT) on MINT in November for the Mexican Riviera. We had a great time!

Capt. Tom: There are many Med sailings other than Diamond. Another thing you might want to consider is Silversea. I posted this on another board early this evening and will pass it along.

I just got an e-mail today from Silversea about 40-50% reductions for several Med itineraries in May and June on the Wind,Cloud and Whisper. (Whisper cabins are more like the larger RSSC ships) Not sure how pricing is for Ngaire's company with Silversea, but these prices come in almost right in line with RSSC, when you "upgrade" to a balcony suite, even taking into account the "free air or $1,000 off" on RSSC's med cruises in 2005. Port charges are already included, and it is all-inclusive, including all bar drinks.

Of course, many regular posters on this board book way farther in advance, but some of you out there who don't may want to visit their website, as this line seems to be the one most similar to Radisson. This is how I was enticed to cruise on Silver Shadow to Malaysia and Thailand last March. It was a wonderful cruise.

Editing to say that I think most of us on that cc/lct MINT cruise were there not for the ports but the people. I would not think that itinerary as it worked out for me would suit people who are looking for ports, but I loved the sea days! I would stick to the Med if you are interested in a port intensive cruise and have never been there. I love seeing new places, however!

Capt. Tom: There are many Med sailings other than Diamond. Another thing you might want to consider is Silversea. I posted this on another board early this evening and will pass it along.

I just got an e-mail today from Silversea about 40-50% reductions for several Med itineraries in May and June on the Wind,Cloud and Whisper. (Whisper cabins are more like the larger RSSC ships) Not sure how pricing is for Ngaire's company with Silversea, but these prices come in almost right in line with RSSC, when you "upgrade" to a balcony suite, even taking into account the "free air or $1,000 off" on RSSC's med cruises in 2005. Port charges are already included, and it is all-inclusive, including all bar drinks.

Of course, many regular posters on this board book way farther in advance, but some of you out there who don't may want to visit their website, as this line seems to be the one most similar to Radisson. This is how I was enticed to cruise on Silver Shadow to Malaysia and Thailand last March. It was a wonderful cruise.

Editing to say that I think most of us on that cc/lct MINT cruise were there not for the ports but the people. I would not think that itinerary as it worked out for me would suit people who are looking for ports, but I loved the sea days! I would stick to the Med if you are interested in a port intensive cruise and have never been there. I love seeing new places, however!

Olivia is right. We were on the Silver Whisper last April and are now considering one of their 50% discounted Med cruises as a replacement for the Diamond should it come down to that. One that is of particular interest is the Rome to Monte Carlo cruise in mid May. Not sure that I can get off at that time however, so it may need to wait until they come up with some deals on the fall cruises, which I am sure they will.

Don

Unfortunately, each line does it differently with discounts. With RSSC they do it early on, so you can book in advance and get early booking discounts and get the cabin you want. Silversea does it later as the cruise approaches ( I did it this way with them and still got a great cabin). I prefer the former, because I like to get myself "scheduled", but you know, I really don't need to! I am really glad I branched out and took that Silverseas cruise, however. It was just like Radisson, I promise, except you don't have a bar bill! (May have to pay a few dollars more, however! Loved the entertainment!

Archived