'Ruby' swimming pool to be mural

jleq

That is SO cool!!! I'll look forward to seeing it in February.

Thanks for sharing! :D

Lucky Guys. I'd love to see it.....Have a great cruise.

Wow, I would have love to have seen it being painted. The passengers onboard had a once a lifetime experience.

Anthony

I have enjoyed Wyland's work (and bought some) since visiting his gallery/store in Sarasota several years ago. His style is unique. Looking forward to my Ruby cruise next year even more.
Living near Laguna Beach (where Wyland grew up and lives), you see he work frequently. Heck, the young woman who does my hair cuts his, too. :):)

Living near Laguna Beach (where Wyland grew up and lives), you see he work frequently. Heck, the young woman who does my hair cuts his, too. :):)

Lives at times maybe, but I don't know about the grew up part. He's actually from Madison Heights, MI, and attended High School there (hence the whaling wall at Lamphere High School).

Love his artwork.

Lives at times maybe, but I don't know about the grew up part. He's actually from Madison Heights, MI, and attended High School there (hence the whaling wall at Lamphere High School).
You're right. My sister, who's lived in Laguna Beach for 40 years, has told me many times he went to high school there. Looks like she was wrong. :)

I've seen his walls in several states and in the Pacific (not HI).

News Article

8/19/2009

Ruby Princess Swimming Pool Becomes Latest Canvas for Famed Marine Life Artist Wyland

Princess Cruises Passengers Watch as Wyland Paints Dolphins on Bottom of Neptune Pool

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (August 19, 2009) -- As Ruby Princess approached Venice this afternoon, passengers aboard the Princess Cruises ship were treated to a special live art event as famed marine life artist Wyland painted an unusual canvas -- the bottom of the ship's Neptune Pool.

Known worldwide for his unique works featuring sea animals, Wyland is aboard the ship for special art events and meet and greets with passengers. However, painting the ship's pool was not on his original agenda. Ruby Princess Captain Tony Draper suggested the idea to the artist after being inspired by watching ship crew members painting the Princess "seawitch" logo on the bottom of the ship's other main pool.

A first for the cruise line, Wyland agreed to paint the mother dolphin and her baby as a way to increase awareness of his conservation message. Passengers were invited to follow along with a live top-deck event hosted by the ship's cruise director, including live video of the painting in progress broadcast on the ship's Movies Under the Stars screen.

"This is certainly one of the most unusual ways we've ever painted a pool," said Jan Swartz, Princess executive vice president. "But it's a wonderful way to work with Wyland to address our shared concern with the importance of marine conservation, and to give our passengers a unique experience as they witnessed a one-of-a-kind artwork taking shape."

Passengers were able to enjoy watching the artist at work just prior to the ship's arrival into the Venice canal system.

Marine life artist Wyland is an accomplished painter, sculptor, photographer, writer and SCUBA diver. His non-profit Wyland Foundation has supported numerous conservation programs since 1993, including the monumental Whaling Wall mural project -- an epic series of more than 100 life-size marine life murals that spans 14 countries on four continents and is viewed by an estimated 1 billion people every year.

Wyland and Princess Cruises have a long-time association. Many Princess ships incorporate his sculptures in the swimming pool areas, and are featured in his latest book "100 Whaling Walls." Wyland's artwork is also featured in the ships' onboard art galleries.

Ruby Princess is currently sailing on 12-day Grand Mediterranean voyages between Barcelona and Venice, with calls at Monte Carlo, Florence/Pisa, Rome, Naples/Capri, Mykonos, Istanbul, Kusadasi, and Athens. Photos of Wyland at work are available at:

ruby-princess-dolphin-painting.jpg

Archived