San Francisco transportation (and time) question

herewego

We are flying into San Francisco and are choosing on going to spend a few days pre or post cruise there. One option has the flight coming in at 8:50 a.m. on the first day of the cruise, which will give us plenty of time (according to mapquest it is less than an hour away) to get to the port. The port is listed as P35 South if that helps.

Anyway I was hoping someone could point us in the right direction on transportation to the port from the airport. We are traveling with someone with somewhat limited mobility so switching from different public transportation option wouldn't work.

I'm hoping there is a specific cruise shuttle service someone can recommend. I am assuming it is too far to take a cab ride (cost wise) so we will need to depend on an alternative method.

Thanks for your help!

personally, I would order a hire car from super shuttle (get a aaa discount number). it is about the same as a cab ($50-60), it would be a confirmed price, even if you run into late rush hour, and it would be comfortable. the airport is only 17 or so miles south of town--right on the freeway.

it would be the most relaxing and not that bad for price.

I would highly recommend flying in the day before. There is always the risk that your flight will be canceled or delayed and the chance of missing the ship. Why not consider doing a pre cruise there rather than a post cruise.

Regardless, take a taxi or say a super shuttle. Either one would be fine.

P35 is Pier 35 which is relatively close to Peir 39/Fisherman's Wharf.

We just enjoyed a pre cruise in San Francisco and have visited this city often.

Keith

The cruise terminal may be only 17 miles or so from the airport, but it can take you anywhere from 20 mins. to 2 hours to get there. I am assuming it would be a Sat. or Sun. morning that you would be flying in, which traffic shouldn't be too bad. If it's a weekday, you have to account for traffic. Depending on the time of year, SFO tends to get socked in with fog, and you could encounter delays.

There are plenty of shuttle van services as well as Limo services at the airport. Super Shuttle is one of the biggest. You could easily find transportation there at the airport if you didn't have it prearranged. You can do a search for SFO transportation.

I would come in the day before the cruse because if SFO is fogged in or experiencing low clouds and bad weather, capacity is cut in half :eek: resulting in delays :mad:, For example on my last trip getting out of the bad weather was delayed by one hour only because WN put us on an earlier flight that was delayed 2.5 hours due to low clouds. Coming back, there was a ground stop due to the fog that delayed the trip home by 2 hours and 15 minutes (as an aside, there is a thankful bartender :D)

Once here, and this is from someone whose been there / done that, invest bucks in taking a cab or hiring a limo because it will make traveling with your mobility impaired companion SO much easier.

Thanks for the responses - we had considered flying in first - four days earlier but the price difference on the flights is amazing! And the bad news is it was so low a couple of weeks ago :mad:

We were looking into extending things and I just delayed making the plans. It would be on a Monday morning - Oct.21 so I don't know if that would make a lot of difference.

Thanks for the responses - we had considered flying in first - four days earlier but the price difference on the flights is amazing! And the bad news is it was so low a couple of weeks ago :mad:

We were looking into extending things and I just delayed making the plans. It would be on a Monday morning - Oct.21 so I don't know if that would make a lot of difference.

Hello,

I agree with the posters who have advised you to fly in the day before your cruise. While the San Francisco airport is only 17 miles from the cruise terminal, the freeways are always congested. A monday morning is especially crowded.

Some ideas for you...consider the Bay Area's other airports if the cost to San Francisco is too high for you. Oakland is served by Southwest Airlines and others, and San Jose is also an option. And Super Shuttle serves all three Bay Area airports. If you fly into Oakland, take Super Shuttle to San Francisco and spend the night. The same for San Jose.

The Cow Hollow Motor Inn would be a good hotel for you as it is close to restaurants, and a short ride to Pier 35.

if you can, check at the airport on the computer for 511.org or call 511 for a local traffic report. you can always get around a mess on north 101 by leaving the airport and going west on Hiway 380 to 280 and exit at King Street, just maybe 1/2 mile from the ship. you might have to tell a taxi driver to take you that way.

traffic has lightened a lot in the past months---I wouldn't be that concerned as there are alternative routes.

of all places trying to get from point A to B..SF has got to be the most

unpredictable..bottle necks all over the place..and most are headed to

the downtown area or Bay Bridge..

if there are any game s or events in the city..expect delays..

not kidding..more than once it took us an hr to travel thru

the downtown area just to get to the in-laws on Russian Hill..

i used to love going into SF..but, the traffic has gotten so bad that

i m quickly learning to hate the place..

of all places trying to get from point A to B..SF has got to be the most

unpredictable..bottle necks all over the place..and most are headed to

the downtown area or Bay Bridge..

if there are any game s or events in the city..expect delays..

not kidding..more than once it took us an hr to travel thru

the downtown area just to get to the in-laws on Russian Hill..

i used to love going into SF..but, the traffic has gotten so bad that

i m quickly learning to hate the place..

Unfortunately, many cities are a challenge. Try driving in NYC. :D

Keith

If you are saying your cruise leaves on a Monday in Oct. Please fly in a day or two before. San Francisco can have very bad fog days - you don't want a long flight delay. Traffic into the city on a Monday will be bad. Why start your vacation stressed about making sure you have time to board the ship.

I don't know how many people you are travelling with - if more than 2 a private car or taxi is better than a shuttle. The shuttles may make many stops before you get to your hotel. San Francisco is a very 'walking' city - if you have a mobile impaired person you will need to consider transportation around the city. Taxis are not too expensive from most locations near Union Square.

I am driving up the 101 onto the bay bridge every single day and the traffic is just way.....less than it has been in the past. there are electronic signs telling you how long it takes to various points--and these people will be coming into the city no sooner than 9:30 in the morning. they could even just plan to leave the airport at 10 and avoid almost all traffic jams (there is always the exception, but come on...)

october almost never has fog--in fact, it can have the hottest weather (like 100).

I live in the city and it just is not that bad. at that time in that direction. late afternoon would be way worse--but then, you can avoid freeways and take other routes.

I would bet that traffic since last year has decreased 20%--I always find parking where there used to be none.

Archived