Dream - captains evening

We're very indecisive about what to take for my husband and two teenage sons 16 & 14 for the captains evening when we go on our cruise. Can anyone give advice that's been on the other thompson ships please. We were going on Island Escape originally which wasn't a problem as there is no dress code as such. Now we've changed to Dream. I don't want them to feel uncomfortable under or over dressed so, evening suit? lounge suit? or just shirt and trousers? I've looked through some photo's and majority seem to have tux's on, I know someone who goes on Celebration who only ever wears shirt and trousers, he said it's only the older passengers that go for the tux's. Also, we don't actually have any tux's yet so i've got to get some, waste of money or not? I don't mind if everyone will be wearing them. But don't want to waste the money if they're not really required to wear them.

On the Spirit recently, I'd say the majority in the main dining room were in evening suits - the rest mainly in lounge suits and tie - although there were some exceptions. And it wasn't just the older passengers - people across the generations were dressed up. It was absolutely charming to see some children in tux's too - and most had made the effort - even a white shirt and bow tie works very well for young children. They were a picture and were pleased as punch with all the attention they were getting - so many people telling them how smart they looked! I think M&S are doing some budget DJs at £50 which isn't bad - especially if you go on lots more cruises ;) but a lounge suit would be quite acceptable.

You really wouldn't feel out of place with either DJs, lounge suits or even smart shirt and tie, although the men would definitely be in a (small) minority in my experience if not in suits.

my wife and i went on the celebration in july i read mixed reports about wearing a tux but i took one and i am pleased that i did as i felt smarter than wearing an ordinary suit. we are also going on the thompson dream next year in july.

Archived