For those of you who have read Cruise Confidential

Jeafl

On our first cruise, our waiter overheard me telling my wife I was undecided which appetiser to choose, and he told me "why not order both?"...so I did, and on several nights he brought us extra food that we hadnt tried yet....his idea...so at least not all servers mind going a little extra for the guest...we tipped him extra, which was only fair as he was delightfull :)

It did make me feel bad for our waiters after one of our tablemates ordered multiples of everything each night. His record was 5 appetizers, 3 entrees and 4 desserts. Just coming for him took the time it would have to serve an entire table of 4.

Was he hungry??????? or heading for Diabetes :eek:

It did make me feel bad for our waiters after one of our tablemates ordered multiples of everything each night. His record was 5 appetizers, 3 entrees and 4 desserts. Just coming for him took the time it would have to serve an entire table of 4.

I just had this conversation with wait crew. They said they didn't mind at all IF they were working on a Fantasy-class ship (because the kitchen is right there).

Of course I used that reasoning to justify ordering 2 lobster/shrimp entrees on elegant night.

I can see both sides. I personally wish the tips were put into the fare so that everyone paid them and the crew would earn a more decent wage. Also in college I worked wait service jobs and people are demanding and sometimes rude, it is simply a fact and it is not just americans. No one is forced to be a waiter like I chose to be in college, nor are the crewmembers forced to work on cruiseships. We make choices. If crewmembers hate their jobs they should return home when their contract is over.

I have never had a server have any issues with two appetizers (I usually skip the salad then). I always tip the cabin steward and the servers extra. The only time I didn't tip extra was the assistant waiter on our second Crown Princess cruise. He brought new meaning to the word atrocious. The maitre d had to help serve our food a few nights.

I just picked up the book yesterday at my local Borders Books, I'm on page 60 now, and I wonder how much of his story and experiences are true.. I mean, unless he had the time each day to keep a detailed journal, I find it hard to believe how he remembers exactly who said what to him, and what his reply was 5 months back and so forth.

Sure there are some interesting things, but so far, it all seems kinda bland to me... I'll see what the next chapters bring to me...

I just picked up the book yesterday at my local Borders Books, I'm on page 60 now, and I wonder how much of his story and experiences are true.. I mean, unless he had the time each day to keep a detailed journal, I find it hard to believe how he remembers exactly who said what to him, and what his reply was 5 months back and so forth.

Sure there are some interesting things, but so far, it all seems kinda bland to me... I'll see what the next chapters bring to me...

Yes, he does seem to embellish some, but it is interesting reading. Oh to be young and to thrive on such little sleep! LOL!

Couldn't finish the book.. that guy was too full of himself..

I enjoyed the read but it was difficult to read... not a very mature writer. There were also a few inaccuracies... like the Conquest being the largest ship in the world in 2002 (Voyager and Explorer were out) and the itinerary was never the one he said. Makes me wonder about any other inaccuracies.

It certainly did not change how I will order, act, or tip on a cruise.

I asked for extra Lobster-did I do something bad LOL:rolleyes:

I got about 2/3 of the way through it and just got bored and quit reading. I gave it to our waiter on the last night of our cruise. I told him my opinions on it but also thought he might enjoy reading it and comparing it to his experiences.

As far as not requesting extra things...yes it does make me think twice about it. But like one poster said..there is reasonable and there is unreasonable. I won't feel guilty about making what I consider to be a reasonable request as that is their job and I am paying good money for my vacation. But I won't ask for something I think is too much.

Archived