Cruise witha 9mo old on Independence of the Seas??

ugacruisers

icon1.gifCruise with a 9mo old on Independence of the Seas???

Any advice from those experienced parents about taking their infant on a cruise with them? Our son will be 9mo at the time of the cruise...if we decide to take it. It's on IOS from Miami--Dec. 6-13! All advice/experiences are greatly appreciated!!! THANKS!! :) __________________

Mariner of the Seas, Western Caribbean 05/07

Enchantment of the Seas, Western Caribbean 08/06

Mariner of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean 04/05

Navigator of the Seas, Western Caribbean 04/04

MS Noordam, Alaskan Cruisetour 07/96

We are taking our DD on her first cruise in Oct. on FOS she will be just over 6 months when we sail. My DW and I read your same post on RCCL and couldn't believe all the people that flamed you. :confused: We simpily could not go any where without her. We booked GS to have a little more room, and to be honest this will be our 7th cruise, so we plan to just hang out. In the room, on the pool deck where ever. If she gets fussy we will take her back to the room and chill there. We bought a wine package so worst case will can sip some wine and read spy novels for me hot and spicy novels for DW:D sit on our balcony and order room service a have a wonderful time. We are driving to PC so we are bringing eveything we think we need, there are some great threads with checklists out there.

Have a great cruise don't mind what the nay sayers say, pack extra, enjoy your trip.

My big concern would be illness (not necessarily the swine flu). We have caught severe colds many times when we travel in the winter -- especially from airplanes and airports. Last October, several passengers on our ship had a bad cough (which I was unlucky enough to catch).

Just something to think about.

We have done it with our DD many times. Although we drive to port most of the time since we live in Fl. She has never once gotten sick on any of her 6 cruises. Most illnesses are transmitted by touching something and then rubbing your eyes, nose, mouth etc. Since your infant will not be touching doors, elevator buttons, serving utensils etc that tons of others are touching, it is unlikely he/she will catch anything. For us, we love vacationing with our kids and find cruising the easiest with small infants/toddlers.

It basically boils down to knowing your child. I saw the thread go astray on the RCL board, and don't let the negatives get to you. Everyone has a different view of what they want on a vacation, and unfortunately- not everyone can get it all.

We cruised with DD when she was 5.5 months old. She was on formula, and we brought many extra days worth. Also diapers, I was going thru 5 a day, so I packed enough for 8 a day. Same with clothes, one extra outfit per day. I totally overpacked on toys to entertain her, but I don't have any regrets over that.

Keep your LO in mind when deciding what to do. It may not be a cruise where you are doing a lot of shore excursions, your LO may be to young. It may not be a cruise where you are hanging around at the pool just relaxing, your LO may not let you.

Get him used to sleeping in a pack n play prior. Also DD was in her stroller more that week then usual, something she wasn't used to, but I needed someplace to sit her while in the room.

We had zero expectations of plans for doing anything, so anything we got done was a bonus and made us excited. We took LOTS of pictures, and made super memories. I totally don't regret it and even if she has no clue and won't ever remember- I will. That is what is important. I want to look back at my vacation and think about it being with her, not me thinking about her.

Wow I have never seen the RCCL board be so angry against kids. Some people need to realize its RCCL not Windstar. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I LOVED this ship. And I think you will too. The Indy has a Baby Zone within the H20 zone just for non potty trained infants.

They also have a play group (45 minute sessions) called Royal Babies/Tots. Those schedules for the Royal Babies/Tots are at the link in my signature, click on Adventure Ocean, then click on page 2, I think, maybe page 3.

My review of this ship is here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=923729

This cruise ranked as one of our favorites, no doubt.

Thanks so much for the info, D is 10 months now and we are headed out on Radiance for the 10 day in February. We appreciate the help and tips, this will be our 8 or 9th cruise and think we are ready. One tip from us was to get an extra stateroom, DW and I in one room, connecting door to DD and nanny. It only costs a little more thatn sharing room with daughter, but gives us more crawling space, an extra bathroom, and extra storage space. We think the cruise will be our best ever, no matter what the angry posters on the RCCL forum have to say......

I also had read the other thread, and couldn't believe some of the ppl. I want to ask all of those that love to throw the "go Disney" phrase out there if they are going to pay me the extra that I would have to spend to do so! Plus, so many of them argue that you shouldn't take a little one b/c they won't remember it anyway--how would that change if it is Disney? Besides, I am not taking her along so that she will remember, I am taking her b/c I will remember! I really do not have any tips, as we have not yet cruised with DD, October will be our first time w/ her, and she will be 18 months old. Just fully realize that it will most likely be a "working" vacation (as DH reminded me when he told me it was my choice whether to bring her or not), and not set your expectations too high. As another poster said, if you set your expectations low, anything above & beyond will be a bonus! The only things I can say, from posting & reading on this family board, is to overpack and overplan (i.e. extra diapers, extra food, extra formula, any meds you may need, etc.). FYI, some ppl have brought up, I think in the other thread, that you can order diapers from RCI, just bear in mind that those are only Huggies (DD is allergic to Huggies, so that is not an option for us, unfortunately). GL & have fun, I hope you decide to do it, and have a blast!

uga, I'm glad you came over here to the family board. By all means, enjoy your baby while you can.

My only advice is to take an umbrella stroller rather than a big bulky one. They are so much more practical for getting around.

Have a great time. Babies grow so fast. Mine will be 35 in October and I can remember when she was 9 months old!

I also had read the other thread, and couldn't believe some of the ppl. I want to ask all of those that love to throw the "go Disney" phrase out there if they are going to pay me the extra that I would have to spend to do so! Plus, so many of them argue that you shouldn't take a little one b/c they won't remember it anyway--how would that change if it is Disney? Besides, I am not taking her along so that she will remember, I am taking her b/c I will remember! I really do not have any tips, as we have not yet cruised with DD, October will be our first time w/ her, and she will be 18 months old. Just fully realize that it will most likely be a "working" vacation (as DH reminded me when he told me it was my choice whether to bring her or not), and not set your expectations too high. As another poster said, if you set your expectations low, anything above & beyond will be a bonus! The only things I can say, from posting & reading on this family board, is to overpack and overplan (i.e. extra diapers, extra food, extra formula, any meds you may need, etc.). FYI, some ppl have brought up, I think in the other thread, that you can order diapers from RCI, just bear in mind that those are only Huggies (DD is allergic to Huggies, so that is not an option for us, unfortunately). GL & have fun, I hope you decide to do it, and have a blast!

Just wanted to add in about the "dont cruise do Disney thing". We do Disney every year, my parents own a timeshare there and we live 1.5 hrs away. This past summer with DS who was 6 months and DD age 4 was much much harder than cruising. We did magic kingdom and DS was tired, hot and cranky and there was nowhere to go. DD pitched a fit because she didnt want to leave, she was enjoying herself. If he was cranky at a restaurant dinner I had to wait for everyone to finish then load him in the car with the rest of the family and drive back to the resort. On a cruise, I can eat in the cabin, leave the dining room if necessary and the rest of my family can continue to enjoy the entertainment onboard while DS and I return to the cabin. I cant see how people think landbased vacations are easier. They arent. We have cruised with DD 6 times and love every minute of it. Ds will be going on his first cruise this weekend at 8 mo.

I posted on the RCCL board but also wanted to post on here too, just to say not to take too much notice of all the negative comments on there and to do what is best for you and your family. I find it hard to get to grips with this idea that a cruise is hard work with a baby compared to other types of holiday. We have found the complete opposite - there is lots to see and do for all the family. Holidays are never going to be as relaxed once you have kids, but taking them on a cruise is not anymore difficult than any other type of holiday. As has been said, go with low expectations and anything else will be a bonus!

As for this notion that there is no point in taking a small child on holiday because they won't remember it, do the posters suggest that we apply this rule of thumb to everyday life, e.g. don't worry about not giving your child hugs and kisses as they won't remember anyway as they are so small. And as to the idea that we are terrible parents for exposing children to these germ ridden cruise ships, well the thought of germs and bugs doesn't seem to put of a whole generation of older cruisers that may have pre-existing health issue and supressed immunity related to age/ill health. Furthermore, those of us that have children in daycare, or have older children in school will know that infants are exposed to many germs even when not on vacation.

I find it sad that a lot of the Americans and fellow Brits on that board seem so intolerant of babies and children on holiday (and seem to think that Disney is the answer to everything). We are off to Spain in a few days where we know that our children will be warmly welcomed and where - like many the parts of Europe - children are not seen as an incovenience to people's holiday or leisure time.

Anyway I can't wait for our trip on Liberty next April. As far as the RCCL board is concerned I will be the worst parent ever. I am making the kids fly transatlantic and taking them on a cuise :eek:

Archived